Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Danno
    Vehicle
    1996 Firebird Formula

Default 96 Formula Won't Start Unless Pedal is Held to the Floor

I had a no start problem with it that ended up being a bad ICM. Replaced the ICM and it started right up. I drove it around for about a 1/2 hour and parked it in the driveway. When I went to start it to put it in the garage, it wouldn't start. I finally got it to start by flooring the gas pedal. After it starts, if I don't feather the gas it will die. I have checked my Fuel Pressure regulator and pressure, they are good. I have white hot spark on #1 plug wire while cranking. I also have injector pulse while cranking. I tested everything while cranking it without touching the gas. There are also no codes in the computer. Any Ideas?
    1996 Firebird Formula (A Working Progress )
    2002 Camaro Z/28 M6 (Sold but not Forgotten!)

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Does it eventually stay running on it's own if you keep pedaling it? Possible it's ECT or IAC related. I'd look at the IAC first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Danno
    Vehicle
    1996 Firebird Formula

Yes, it will eventually run on it own. I tried starting it today, and got it to run, but it was miss-firing really bad and gassy smelling. If slowly roll into it, its really bad to about 2000-2500 rpm then it smooths out some. You can still tell its missing, just not as bad. The SES light came on and it had a P1351 Ignition Control Module Circuit High Voltage and P0336 crank sensor range/performance, but no misfire codes. The ICM and coil were replaced with Delphi parts, and wiring was tested during diagnostics of the no start issue. I looked at the plug wires, they are pretty new looking MSD wires. None of them were burnt off. I pulled the spark plugs out of it. They were damp with fuel and black. I checked the gap, and it was .050 on all of them. I'm thinking this might be an opti issue. It was replaced by the previous owner, but I don't know what they put in it for an opti.

20190527_204532.jpg

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Sounds like IAC

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    JB
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28 1996 Camaro SS

If it's giving you a 0336 code, I would start checking the crankshaft position sensor. I believe it aids in the timing and fuel department or at least it's supposed to. I have a 97 Z28 and my CPS was broken in half.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Same as everybody else...350 small block, double hump heads, 3/4 cam

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Danno
    Vehicle
    1996 Firebird Formula

From what I have been reading, The CPS in the OBDII cars only helps to detect miss-fires. The CPS was replaced with an ACDelco one, and the CPS wiring was checked. If thats the case, that could explain why i'm not getting any miss-fire codes The CPS code came back after replacing. Since all of the plugs are out, I'm going to compression check the cylinders to make sure I don't have a dead one and get a new set of plugs for it. I will also pull the IAC out and make sure its not all the way out, shutting off the passage. I'm trying to diagnose the problem, instead of just throwing parts at it until something finally solves it.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    JB
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28 1996 Camaro SS

Definitely don't want to start throwing sensors and opti's at it. The IAC could also be a culprit but I'm not sure if it creates a trouble code. Those plugs look really rich which is also related to the ECT but I know that gave me a code when mine was bad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Same as everybody else...350 small block, double hump heads, 3/4 cam

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Danno
    Vehicle
    1996 Firebird Formula

The ECT is with in a few degrees of the air temp on the scan tool, and the engine is cold.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Does the IAC show vlotage change? I know a bad one won't change. Seen them stuck open just Abit.

Sent from my HP Pro Slate 8 using Tapatalk

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

Pr0jekt Turb0?

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyweather View Post
    Does the IAC show vlotage change? I know a bad one won't change. Seen them stuck open just Abit.

Sent from my HP Pro Slate 8 using Tapatalk
    Even on this note, I had a datalog show voltage change on an IAC that was stuck open. I thought the IAC was good until I finally took apart the car. This was causing fuel to load up and a hard time idling. I actually drilled the IAC hole larger before actually checking the IAC like a dummy.
    -Ryan
    93 Z28 M28

Mod List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast