Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Hybrid View

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    LDM
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Default Optispark options in replacement is needed

Well last night I took my 94 Z28 out for a quick spin after changing the spark plugs. My guess is that I probably damaged something in the process, probably on the passenger side where there is no room to get to anything, but a few minutes down the road and she died and wouldn't restart. Towed her home and stuck her back in the garage but I didn't have the time to start doing any diagnosis. Codes thrown were 36, 41, 42, and 51, which points to the ignition module but I'm wondering if I didn't damage a wiring harness or if it didn't get damaged by contacting the hot exhaust while driving. Anyway, hopefully its something that simple but my main question is whats the best options for a replacement optispark these days if needed? I know GM discontinued them a few years back so it could be hit or miss getting something OEM still. I do see that Autozone and OReillys has a new one available for around $170 but has anyone had an experience with their optis? Really don't feel like spending a huge amount of money like the $500+ MSD opti, especially the mixed results I've heard about them. My current one is definitely a few years old since it was replaced around 2003 when I did the the electric water pump so my concern is that it might have been damaged by whatever killed the engine during the drive. She doesn't seem many miles these days but the age might be the bigger concern here. Any info would be much appreciated.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

I got a Auto Zone opti on my 94 z28. Its beeb a good one so far. About 2 years now

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk
    BEAVER

94 Z28,4A,LLOYD SG CAM,1.6RR,SHIFT KIT,2,800 STALL,HEADERS,HEADS PORTED & POLISHED,ALL INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS LUNATI !!!

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    JB
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28 1996 Camaro SS

I've had good luck with Petris

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Same as everybody else...350 small block, double hump heads, 3/4 cam

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    LDM
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Well thank for the info but after a short diagnosis I was able to get her running again without issue and the optispark is still working properly. Turned out to be the PCM of all things, after going over my datalog that I was running at the time I saw some very strange readings that didn't make a lot of sense. After checking all the wiring to make sure there was no damage from my spark plug change, I decided to swap the PCM out with another and flash in my current tune. Sure enough, she fired right up and all the codes were gone. Never seen a PCM fail like that before so it was definitely a weird one. It is a PCM that I socketed many years back after the flash chips didn't finish programming properly so maybe one of the solder spots failed or something similar. I'll have to take it apart and give it a look sometime.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    JB
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28 1996 Camaro SS

The main thing is, you're back on the road. Good work!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Same as everybody else...350 small block, double hump heads, 3/4 cam

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Marcin
    Vehicle
    1994 Impala SS

The most reliable way is to use GM original optispark with quality cap and rotor kit.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Marcin
    Vehicle
    1994 Impala SS

New Delco and all aftermarket optispark units don’t have GM optical sensors anymore and are not as reliable.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

I still only use the GM delco/Delphi stuff. The Reman has been just as reliable so far , up until the crash...

I will never use any of the aftermarket ones ever again. Sure, anything can be subpar out of the box, but I've had minimal issues in my time in the LTX world with the delco/Delphi stuff. I've tried many aftermarket brands, AMD they just dont last.

LTXtech.com is my drug...

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    94 Z28

I've had good luck with AIP Electronics "Dragon Fire" opti. It was like 300.00 if i remember correctly.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    brian stracinski
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

I've never had luck with anything other than AC Delco w/ the Mitsu sensor. When my stock one goes i may look into updating to a LSx PCM/Ignition that eliminates the Opti.
    1996 Impala SS 383/T56