Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status

Default Gen 1 Block and Stock K Member

Well.... block is junk.... reached 20# boost and crack from head stud down into #5 cylinder😕😕..... I've spent 15 years on this LT1 platform and now taking this opportunity to bail!!

since I have over $3K invested in my heads and intake, I found someone that can covert to Gen 1 Dart block..... which makes this decision much easier

question.... will my stock K member/motor mounts work with a Gen 1 block?? Been looking at the BMR swap K member, and I can go that route if I absolutely have to, but would like to save the $$'s if it's possible.

thanks for your input!!

IMG_0617.jpg
    96 Vert 383 forged AFR 210 LT4 Intake CP Pistons T400 Moser 9" Borg Warner S480

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

Quote Originally Posted by musict View Post
    Well.... block is junk.... reached 20# boost and crack from head stud down into #5 cylinder..... I've spent 15 years on this LT1 platform and now taking this opportunity to bail!!

since I have over $3K invested in my heads and intake, I found someone that can covert to Gen 1 Dart block..... which makes this decision much easier

question.... will my stock K member/motor mounts work with a Gen 1 block?? Been looking at the BMR swap K member, and I can go that route if I absolutely have to, but would like to save the $$'s if it's possible.

thanks for your input!!

IMG_0617.jpg
    Unfortunately GM blocks well only handle so much boost. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. If your going to use the car on the street I would locate another LT-1 block have it sonic tested and for thickness. If your going to race platform. Swap out your kmember for the appropriate one. The Dart block will handle more boost.

The neat part about Happy Wheels 81 is having a different platform than everybody else. And I still stands true today cuz everybody else is jump on the ls bandwagon. If you have got your LT1 to hold 20 lbs of boost before the main women gave out and cracked that was quite impressive first stock GM Block that's not a big buck. The Small block dose not have the strength of a big block. Cylinder wall thickness main webbing thickness ect.

To answer your question you will need a different kmember or modify your original.

My question to you is tell the people how view your post. What you are go to use the car for? To be more helpful

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Lurker

Status

Thanks for the input Camaro!!... car is street / strip .... car has no heat, a/c or wipers ��.... building the engine for max effort, but trying to keep on the street as well.... I have my eyes on the BMR K member for the swap. Been limping this LT for years and since the block is terminal, I'm taking this as an opportunity given the HP goals I'm looking for.

Thank you again for answering my question!!

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird

Don't suppose you'll share who is converting the block would you?
    94 firebird 315 30 18 x 4, 3.4/A4 to LT1/M6 swap, bilstein racing coilovers, leveled LCAs, lowered PHR, spherical bushings in stock lower a arms, 35mm front swaybar, 1" rear sway bar, ported heads, cam, LS1 lid, longtubes, rebuilt T56 blah blah blah

Lurker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by v7guy View Post
    Don't suppose you'll share who is converting the block would you?
    I'll have to check with the person doing it if it's OK to share.... I met this guy at a race and found out he has a skill set I don't.... been helping me with tuning my new turbo / E85 combo.... he's done a couple of these heads and intake conversions with success and offered to help me out.... let's see how it works and the cost.... he quoted me around $500, but it depends on the amount of time.....so I'm still coming out good on my end since I have about $3K in invested in my heads/intake