Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Default So I haven't sold it... what to look for to just get a running engine in

Last year I posted about selling my non-running 97 SS, it's in a million pieces scattered through two garages in I'm not sure how many storage bins. I tore the motor down after finding water in the oil pan (even though it had been running fine before it was parked) and just haven't found the time or money to get it overhauled. Well I still have it and just can't bring myself to part with it yet, so I'm kicking around the idea of just getting a cheap high mileage LT1 from somewhere (craigslist/facebook marketplace) and just throw it in to get it on the road again.

Hopefully driving it will light a fire to really start rebuilding the original motor into something nice, and fixing up the rest of the car.

So I see a lot of years out there, for both F-body and B-body applications. Wondering if I get a non-97 year how tough it would be to swap in. Mind you, I still have all the parts and every bolt and screw, so I could theoretically swap some parts off the 'wrong year' motor if need be. It appears that 96 or 97 would be easiest, as they are both OBDII and with the vented opti. But I'm seeing quite a few 95's/94's out there and don't know if it would be worth the trouble. How much of the wiring would be applicable? How much would need to be "frankensteined"?

And finally... anyone have a motor?
    1997 Camaro SS ~ 220k of stockness... undergoing transformation.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

93 - use your 97 intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rails, injectors, knock sensor, EVAP vacuum switch. 97 engine harness connector connector will not match 93 unvented Opti. Get a new short Opti harness, or use your 97 Opti, timing cover, crank sensor, timing set, Opti vent harness, cam/dowel. No crank (CKP) sensor on the 93-95 engines, but while there is one on the 96/97, it isn’t needed to run the engine, just to detect misfires. If you use your 97 timing cover, to keep the CKP use reluctor gear and crank hub from 97. Can be deleted from PCM program to avoid codes/SES. 93 oil pressure sensor is above oil filter. Use your 97 sensor on top/back of block.

94 - no problem with intake, TB, rails or injectors. Use 97 knock sensor, use 97 EVAP switch as above. All comments above regarding the Opti and CKP sensor still apply. 94 oil pressure sensor can be above filter (early) or top/back of block (late).

95 - same as 94, except no problem with Opti - setup matches your 97.

96 - same as 97
    Last edited by Injuneer; 01-02-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    93 - use your 97 intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rails, injectors, knock sensor, EVAP vacuum switch. 97 engine harness connector connector will not match 93 unvented Opti. Get a new short Opti harness, or use your 97 Opti, timing cover, crank sensor, timing set, Opti vent harness, cam/dowel. No crank (CKP) sensor on the 93-95 engines, but while there is one on the 96/97, it isn’t needed to run the engine, just to detect misfires. If you use your 97 timing cover, to keep the CKP use reluctor gear and crank hub from 97. Can be deleted from PCM program to avoid codes/SES. 93 oil pressure sensor is above oil filter. Use your 97 sensor on top/back of block.

94 - no problem with intake, TB, rails or injectors. Use 97 knock sensor, use 97 EVAP switch as above. All comments above regarding the Opti and CKP sensor still apply. 94 oil pressure sensor can be above filter (early) or top/back of block (late).

95 - same as 94, except no problem with Opti - setup matches your 97.

96 - same as 97
    Awesome, thanks for the detailed info. Hopefully I can find something I can use for a couple hundred bucks just to get my giggles in.

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Took a gamble today - found an LT1 out of a 93 Firebird that *supposedly* has under 100K on it, and was running when removed. Guy bought it for an IROC project, but since then his son has decided to go LS. Going to swap over all the bits that I need from my '97 and hope for the best. Picked it up for a good price, so here we go.

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

The patient:

Some old edelbrock shorties on it. I don't plan on using them, not sure if they're rusted through anywhere.

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Since I have the 93 harness, are you saying I can take the opti section off and use it on my 97 harness, then get the PCM flashed to ignore the missing CKP?
    If true that sounds easier/cheaper than taking everything apart to swap the cam.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Separate the harnesses at the 4 pin gray connector (on 94-97 the short Opti harness connector is gray, the engine harness end is black, not sure on 93) on the passenger side if the intake manifold. Plug the 93 short harness that runs from the gray connector to the Opti into the black connector of your 97 harness.

You just have the CKP sensor diagnostics programmed out of your 97 PCM.

Your 97 engine has a vacuum detection switch for the EVAP system. 93 does not. The switch is near or on the passenger side, toward the front of the valve cover. Use the 97 EVAP vacuum harness on the 93 engine, or you will get codes for the EVAP system.

http://shbox.com/1/1996_evap.jpg

Put the 97 knock sensor on the 93 block.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Got it, Thanks. I spent the other night digging through my garages for the plastic bins I put everything in, laid out the 97 harness and saw the section that would be swapped.

It's been a long time since I've looked at any of this stuff. Now that I have a motor that is hopefully not garbage, starting to get excited about maybe getting this thing running this year.

Building a mental checklist of stuff... my flywheel needs resurfacing, not going to bother with my old clutch disc/plate so need those, I tried to bag/label all the bolts so I need to find them. The belt on this motor is dry-rotted, new radiator hoses, oil, fluids, etc etc etc

I've got 5 year old gas in the tank, unless it's all evaporated. I have a hand pump I can use to try and drain it. Probably should change out the fuel filter.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Same fix here.... car and engine intact, but haven’t started it in at least 5 years. I've reached the age where I'm just not up to crawling under and over the car and cleaning the entire fuel system - dual pumps (1 internal, 1 external), all braided SS lines, rails modified for parallel flow, outboard AFPR, and 74# injectors. Probably gonna sell it “as is” and let somebody else get it running.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

So I think I'm actually going to go the route of swapping the cam/timing/ignition system over as well. As guys on another forum pointed out, then I'll have fresh gaskets all the way around but also I'll get a look at some of the other parts to see the condition of the internals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast