Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Threaded View

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Default So I haven't sold it... what to look for to just get a running engine in

Last year I posted about selling my non-running 97 SS, it's in a million pieces scattered through two garages in I'm not sure how many storage bins. I tore the motor down after finding water in the oil pan (even though it had been running fine before it was parked) and just haven't found the time or money to get it overhauled. Well I still have it and just can't bring myself to part with it yet, so I'm kicking around the idea of just getting a cheap high mileage LT1 from somewhere (craigslist/facebook marketplace) and just throw it in to get it on the road again.

Hopefully driving it will light a fire to really start rebuilding the original motor into something nice, and fixing up the rest of the car.

So I see a lot of years out there, for both F-body and B-body applications. Wondering if I get a non-97 year how tough it would be to swap in. Mind you, I still have all the parts and every bolt and screw, so I could theoretically swap some parts off the 'wrong year' motor if need be. It appears that 96 or 97 would be easiest, as they are both OBDII and with the vented opti. But I'm seeing quite a few 95's/94's out there and don't know if it would be worth the trouble. How much of the wiring would be applicable? How much would need to be "frankensteined"?

And finally... anyone have a motor?
    1997 Camaro SS ~ 220k of stockness... undergoing transformation.