Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

Default Splined opti spun slightly

After removing my MSD splined opti, the shaft spun slightly before I could mark it. I turned it back to where I thought it was at and marked it. There isn't any type of notch on the splines and now there's a chance I may have to resort to drastic measures when I re-install it to make sure I don't have timing/firing issues. I'm pulling the cover off to remove the water pump drive gear so I am thinking I may have to turn the crank to #1 TDC and open the opti and align it to correspond to fire #1 cylinder. Since this is my 1st rodeo dealing with this opti removal/install, I just wonder if I'm overthinking this issue. I don't know if the tolerances inside the opti are that critical or if the PCM will compensate for any slight variance in the shaft positioning once it is bolted back on. The time to fix any issues will be while the front cover is off if I have to do anything. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    '94 Z28 Red, SLP Ultra Z hood/air box/spoiler, LT1 w/deletions & mods, 4L60e Pro Race build by​ CPT, Pacesetter LTs with stainless Speed Engineering LS1 True Duals, LS1 front brakes, Kenny Brown Double Diamond SFCs.
    '94 Z28 Arctic White, T-tops, retired.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    JB
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28 1996 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ardent_Z28 View Post
    After removing my MSD splined opti, the shaft spun slightly before I could mark it. I turned it back to where I thought it was at and marked it. There isn't any type of notch on the splines and now there's a chance I may have to resort to drastic measures when I re-install it to make sure I don't have timing/firing issues. I'm pulling the cover off to remove the water pump drive gear so I am thinking I may have to turn the crank to #1 TDC and open the opti and align it to correspond to fire #1 cylinder. Since this is my 1st rodeo dealing with this opti removal/install, I just wonder if I'm overthinking this issue. I don't know if the tolerances inside the opti are that critical or if the PCM will compensate for any slight variance in the shaft positioning once it is bolted back on. The time to fix any issues will be while the front cover is off if I have to do anything. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    I had the same issue with my 94. Save yourself some antifreeze and turn the motor to TDC and make sure the rotor is positioned toward number one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Same as everybody else...350 small block, double hump heads, 3/4 cam

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

https://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LT1.html

From I remember I thought the spline driven distributors could only go on one way. One of the splines is wider or gapped differently. It’s been awhile since I had one apart. Check out the link above and scroll down to the distributor section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 1QUICKZ28 View Post
    https://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LT1.html

From I remember I thought the spline driven distributors could only go on one way. One of the splines is wider or gapped differently. It’s been awhile since I had one apart. Check out the link above and scroll down to the distributor section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was under the same impression. However upon closer inspection, I can see a notch on the cam (it appears a spline is missing on it) but all the splines on the shaft of my opti are evenly spaced. If there were 3 splines connected to each other on the opti shaft then it would fit only one way, which is what I understood. The GM service manual advises to mark the shaft for re-installation, and now I see why.
    '94 Z28 Red, SLP Ultra Z hood/air box/spoiler, LT1 w/deletions & mods, 4L60e Pro Race build by​ CPT, Pacesetter LTs with stainless Speed Engineering LS1 True Duals, LS1 front brakes, Kenny Brown Double Diamond SFCs.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

In theory, the splined shaft only fits into the splines in the cam sprocket one way, and if you are careful, and don’t force anything, you will not have a problem. Things get messed up when someone doesn’t align the splines correctly, finds the Opti doesn’t seat all the way, and use the mounting bolts to pull the Opti down so it sits flush with the timing cover, forcing the shaft into the wrong position.

Courtesy of Shoebox

SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTX Master

Status

I just wanted to add to the comments. I did an opti replacement near 2 yrs. ago on my wife's '94. The MSD replacement opti was giving me a hard time slipping into the splines. I found that the black coating on the MSD opti was causing a real tight fit into the camshaft sprocket splines. I took a wire wheel to the splines on the opti and buffed a bit of the coating off. The keyed portion of the splines is kinda tough to see(old eyes), but exercising patience and just a thin coat of grease it will slip fit without forcing it on. As said, it will only go on one way. In fact, it seems I made a small paint dot with a paint pencil on the shaft and on the timing cover to indicate where the keyed portions were to make sure I had it positioned correctly. If it doesn't slip right in, you don't have it positioned correctly.
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

msd definitely has a messed up spline that is the one to go in the notch in the timing gear.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

I followed everyone's advice and got 'r done. I didn't have to remove the opti cover, but I followed behind @JOATMON and found the key. It resembles the valley between 2 splines being filled 90 percent. The key on my non-vented opti on a shelf in my barn looks like the ones in the pics by shoebox and nookandtranny. I got the key into the slot some 8 or 10 times, but there was 1/16" left until it was flush with the block. I finally pushed it with one finger and it snapped in like a button snap on a western shirt and was flush. It slid right in the slot and no force was needed, as advised by @Injuneer. When I got it to TDC the slot in the cam gear was at 6 o'clock, making it easy to do this on my back...LOL. I installed my electric water pump and now I'm moving on to the oil pump swap. I'm glad this is a hobby and not a necessity on a DD. I'm able to back off when frustration sets in to go at it another day. Thanks for all the feedback.
    Last edited by Ardent_Z28; 12-31-2018 at 05:37 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ardent_Z28 For This Post: