Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

• Navigation
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1995 Mystic z28

Once the seed is planted, it's hard to go back.

I cant tell you how many times I've just sat and daydreamed of a new (er) car without the inherent issues that go along with older cars and specifically our platform.

Sometimes you just wanna drive and play in comfort and not stress on what you need to repair afterward.
    95 Mystic Z28, 17x9 FR, 17x11 RR ZR-1's, Pacesetter LT's and Y-pipe, Borla adjustable, Moroso CAI, 2800 Stall, AC Delete, and Cracked Dash/broken lid Mod.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donfrye For This Post:

Another point is, a new car has payments (for the most part) and when a car with payments is broken, life sucks. I can blow the rods out of my camaro and I stick it in the garage for a year while I rebuild, she doesn't owe me anything.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

I have had a newish car with payments for most of my adult life, on top of owning two fbodies. I don't have a garage to regularly store anything in. Both the T/A and IROC have been offroad for roughly 8-10 years, because my priorities always lie with the newer cars with payments.

With new- insurance is more, aftermarket is more.

But, with new, you get the luxuries of big power off the showroom floor plus creature comforts. It all depends how bad you want it. I didn't expect to buy a brand new ZL1, but I can say that I loved the experience. Being the first person to wash the car, give it a ceramic coating myself in my own detail shop, etc - that was an amazing experience. For someone not knowing 6th gens, they may think it's just another Camaro and I couldn't care less what they think. In stock form, it'll absolutely decimate most cars on the road today and I'm a big fan of how it looks and how comfortable it is to drive.

The IROC was a $1200 hacked up bastard of a car, it can stay in the weeds until I'm ready to invest in it. The T/A was $5k that has $15k in parts installed and been living from shop to shop for 6 years. When it's done, it'll be an experience and I am excited about it. But it's still another $5k LS swapped car that might crack 400 whp.

My suggestion is keep the Impala, buy an exotic/new sports car. Pay for winter storage if you don't want to keep it outside, or ask around to see if you know anyone with a spot in their shop. I'm willing to bet in your large circle of friends that someone is willing to give up a spot on their garage floor for you. You probably won't like a C7Z because they're not made for people who are tall (and wide in my case). GTR, CTS-V, ZL1, Demon, Hellcat, Viper, GT350R - this is an EXCITING time to be a car guy. Get out there and at least test drive something.

You can have an in-depth look at my car if it's something you are interested in. There is something to be said about a car making almost 1000whp on a stock fuel system (youtube complete street performance).

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harner For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

As you have stated mentally your the guy that enjoy being out in the garage tinkering. Look at all that you have been inspired to do. Have a car that is new and has most of the new teas that you would get with a 15 and up vehicle is great. On the other hand having one that doesn't have all those amenities as refreshing as well. Is 4 you tattling putting the Camaro motor in the Impala do you plan to stay with the automatic? If so it should be a fairly easy swap. I dunno with the Impala there is a possibility of having to have a custom mounting bracket made for your ProCharger.

Man you need to follow your hart. Many people have sold there LT-1 stuff and regretted it. They wished they would of not done so.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Camaro96; 10-04-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    So u think I should sell off everything and get something "fresher?"

LTXtexh.com is my drug...
    Of the choices you listed, I'd get a C7Z hands down. Bone-stock it will rape most vehicles out there from a roll, and in a turning contest it's not even close. They are still in the $60+ range last time I looked. Gong from a 4th gen into a C7 Vette will be quite a shock to your senses.
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

Quote Originally Posted by harner View Post
    You probably won't like a C7Z because they're not made for people who are tall (and wide in my case). GTR, CTS-V, ZL1, Demon, Hellcat, Viper, GT350R - this is an EXCITING time to be a car guy. Get out there and at least test drive something.

You can have an in-depth look at my car if it's something you are interested in. There is something to be said about a car making almost 1000whp on a stock fuel system (youtube complete street performance).

Couldn't agree more. So many cars are over 500hp, idle at 600rpm, run on 87 octane, have a warranty, and a crazy aftermarket around them. Interiors have a ton of tech, nothing rattles or shakes, etc.

I'd tell you to get a 5th gen Z/28 and watch it start to escalate in value soon, but you won't fit in one, lol. I'm 6'2" and with a helmet on it's rubbing the roof when I race it. I have to recline the seat a bit more during a race. I've been in a C7 GS and it had much more room for me.
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by donfrye View Post
    Once the seed is planted, it's hard to go back.

I cant tell you how many times I've just sat and daydreamed of a new (er) car without the inherent issues that go along with older cars and specifically our platform.

Sometimes you just wanna drive and play in comfort and not stress on what you need to repair afterward.
    Exactly... not that I dont love having stuff that cant just be picked up at a dealership... but warranty, hoping in and driving and having fun... is very inviting.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    Another point is, a new car has payments (for the most part) and when a car with payments is broken, life sucks. I can blow the rods out of my camaro and I stick it in the garage for a year while I rebuild, she doesn't owe me anything.
    First... I dont mind having payments. Thats not a big deal. My home is paid for and there is no mortgage anymore.

If I blow up something new, its most likely gonna be because something malfunctioned, as I dont beat my stuff. Didn't beat the Camaro, or the Impala.

And finally, if I blow my shit up, Im not the guy that can just stick something in the corner till another day. Hell, I always bought 2nd and 3rd toy cars when I knew the camaro would be down, so Id have something else to play with... but with a warranty, and something newer amd more common parts I dont see that being an issue...

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    1994 formy
    Supporting Member

I am a bit biased as im already in the process of selling mine to eventually get a more modern car. I get exposure to a lot of awesome cars through my detailing and have driven a lot of them as well. It is very refreshing to have a modern car with a wide open aftermarket and plenty of support along with more modern amenities. Since my bird became more of a weekend car I've become spoiled with my daily in terms of comfort and amenities. As others have mentioned modern cars have far more power, can make more power (or atleast easier), and you can have a warranty and run regular gas. That being said for me atleast I don't think I will ever take on a project as big/hardcore as my firebird was simply because of the financial aspect. I still love the car and driving it and it definitely turns a lot of heads, but the support for these cars is getting harder and harder to find. I've had multiple performance shops refuse to work on it. Even shops that are GM specific have turned me away when they heard its a built LTx. I think the biggest thing for me is that the F body community in general has gone down a lot in the last 10 years especially in Florida. Anytime anyone does anything outside of the normal cookie cutter 4th gen they are deemed rice and an endless amount of shit talking happens. I have more general automotive friends these days than I do Fbody specific friends simply because around me the community is basically all assholes.
    Last edited by spikester7878; 10-04-2018 at 06:05 PM.

383, Eagle crank, scat rods, Mahle pistons, 238/248 .565 cam. 3k stall, AFR 210 heads, Pacesetter LT, 58 MM TB and a few other goodies.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to spikester7878 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by joelster View Post
    I'd tell you to get a 5th gen Z/28 and watch it start to escalate in value soon, but you won't fit in one, lol. I'm 6'2" and with a helmet on it's rubbing the roof when I race it. I have to recline the seat a bit more during a race. I've been in a C7 GS and it had much more room for me.
    I knew the Z28 was on the rise. I was still seeing NEW Z28's on dealer lots up until late 16/early 17! I didn't realize it was so tight in them versus the 5th gen 2SS even w/o a sunroof, but then again I never strapped on a helmet in mine. I sat in a C7Z with comp seats at Corvettes @ Carlisle and almost needed the jaws of life to get out. Even with the seat all the way down and back, it was just uncomfortable. I'd imagine with the regular seats, it would be a different experience.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast