Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Name
    james Moore
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28

Running too rich causes high negative fuel trim corrections that can be caused by MAF sensor problems, high fuel pressure, leaking fuel pressure regulator diaphragm, faulty evaporative emissions components, leaking injectors, defective oxygen sensors, exhaust issues, coolant temp sensor problems.

LTX Master

Status

These are all good ideas I need to look at, wish I had a better way to determine which to start with. I did not test my fuel pressure personally the shop did. However I assume since it wasn't acting up the fuel pressure was probably fine anyways. Everything is factory, the MAF is a Delphi that was on it when I bought it. It physically appears good and clean and I cleaned it myself. I am hoping when I get under it I can find a crappy looking ground or wire that maybe just acts up when it get jostled the right way or when an accessory is operated that puts any additional load on the motor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    MATT

95 Z28 - Forged 383 LT1, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E w/3200 stall, Pacesetter LT's & ORY with a stockish exhaust (E-cutout soon to come!)

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

But the question is, why does it all of a sudden go from fairly stable to the extreme fluctuations in the STFT's near the 3/4-point, which do start to pull the LTFT's down? There is no corresponding erratic fluctuations in MAF rate or in the throttle position (although it requires assumption about the time scales on the different charts). Whatever causes the sudden rich condition (unclear if its a true or false condition) is affecting both banks equally.

It does get difficult to correlate the cause and effect when the graphic presentation appears to have two different time scales - one scale for the fuel trims and another scale for everything else.

Is there any way to generate a data file that you could post?

LTX Master

Status

I can look into how to pull the files from the blue driver. They are saving to my phone but not playing for me. I sent them via gmail to myself and could not open them either. I'll work on that get back to you. I can verify the timing of the graphs to match up even though the scales are different. I arranged them that way so I could see all the data at the same time while driving without scrolling.

MATT

95 Z28 - Forged 383 LT1, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E w/3200 stall, Pacesetter LT's & ORY with a stockish exhaust (E-cutout soon to come!)

LTX Master

Status

The attached pic is some of the grounds under the drivers door that go to the 4wd system and some fuel or engine system. Not 100% exactly which ones yet but people have reported these grounds causing all kinds of weird issues. I dont like the way these look so I will be removing them grinding to bare metal and replacing with good bolts and terminations then painting and clear coating them. The driver pre cat O2 looks brand new, the other 3 look much older and worn so they may be something to replace for peace of mind.

MATT

LTX Master

Status

This weekend didn't go as planned and I wasn't able to clean the grounds or check plugs. I intend in doing that this weekend for sure. Anyways the truck has been running great since I posted this initially. A thought occured to me about when I filled my tank last time. This was a couple days after the PCM was replaced and everything seemed perfect. I went to the same Exxon station and filled up at the same pump I usually get. For some reason the pump overfilled the truck and did not click off like it always does. Is it at all possible that because of that, something just briefly stumbled around the corner like I talked about in my original post and caused similar symptoms to what I was having previously? Like I said it corrected itself almost immediately and did not act up the rest of the ride home. Maybe overflowed fuel got somewhere it wasn't supposed to? I have also noticed that after 130 miles of driving on this tank my fuel gauge is still reading full. So either this new PCM gave my burb incredible fuel mileage or something got stuck from that overflow. That would actually be awesome if my truck is in fact fixed and it was just a bad coincidence that the tank overflowed the first time I filled it since the repair. Keep in mind the entire fuel pump and sender assembly was replaced a few weeks ago.

MATT

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I have no idea what the charcoal canister/EVAP system looks like on the truck. But typically, overfilling the tank can cause liquid fuel to get into the EVAP canister. Then when the EVAP purge valve opens, instead of pulling a mix of air and fuel vapor from the canister into the intake, it can pull liquid fuel, or an excessive amount of fuel vapor. That would cause the engine to run rich, and cause the reaction shown for the STFT's. The purge valve is only opened during certain engine operating conditions. Based on data logs from our LT1’s it can be during periods of high engine loads.

LTX Master

Status

I'll do a little bit of research on it when I get a chance but that would be awesome if that pump caused the issue. Thanks for the input, now I have a good direction to look.

MATT

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

my g8 was freaking out (ls3 car) throwing lean codes on both banks for no reason. thought vacuum leak, cracked manifold, failed injector, etc since o2's were switching albeit a slight bit slow (about as fast as an lt1 o2 switches). replaced them and all issues went away
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Master

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post
    my g8 was freaking out (ls3 car) throwing lean codes on both banks for no reason. thought vacuum leak, cracked manifold, failed injector, etc since o2's were switching albeit a slight bit slow (about as fast as an lt1 o2 switches). replaced them and all issues went away
    I hope the issue was with the fuel overflow but those O2s wont be on the truck too much longer anyway. I'm looking into some stainless headers and exhaust and will be replacing all of them when that time comes. Just don't want to dump money into the exhaust until I'm sure my issue is fixed.

MATT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast