Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

Default T56 grinding all gears

so had to get my car towed home over the weekend. was out driving Saturday and all of a sudden the trans started grinding when trying to go into any gear. managed to park it and could not get it into any gears at idle. it wouldn't make any noise dead center in neutral but as soon as I moved the gear shifter either right or left to try to put it into gear it would start grinding and would not go into gear and just grind. I tried shutting it off and putting it into first then starting it and in made a terrible grinding noise so I shut it off. I have the front and rear casing off the trans now and I don't see anything out of the normal, granted I've never opened a t56 before but I don't see any messed up gears or anything. fluid came out out nice and red (had dexIII in it) and it was full. thought the clutch fork had loosened up again (happened last fall) but that was tight. clutch still felt and looks good, no obvious fluid loss or anything. I am thinking the trans needs a rebuild, chassis has 174k on it and I am assuming it is the original trans. anyone have any ideas or what to look at in the trans while I have the casings off it? I have been having issues getting it in reverse the past few months and sometimes first at stop lights so that leads me to believe it needs a rebuild. just trying to narrow the possible issue down before dropping the coin on getting it rebuilt (and probably upgraded while I'm at it). TIA

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    1995 Formula

What clutch do you have?

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
    1995 FORMULA M6

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

It's a MCleod twin disk I installed last summer, probably around 3k miles on it with no issues till now. Should probably update my sig lol

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    1995 Formula

Did you check your adjustable master cylinder?
    I had a similar problem a couple years back and that was my issue. The jamb nut came loose and the clutch went out of adjustment.
    Did you notice if all 3 of your pedals were all at the same height?
    My clutch pedal was about 2 inches lower than the other 2.

1995 FORMULA M6

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

yup, it was still tight, I've have it set about an inch below my brake pedal since I put the clutch and master

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    1995 Formula

Ok, I was told all pedals should be even

1995 FORMULA M6

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

hmm yeah I've had it like that since putting the twin disk in and even before that with a tick master and the previous ebay clutch that was in it and never had an issue

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

T56 service manual, courtesy of Shoebox. There is a skimpy troubleshooting section up front, with possible causes of clashing gears, both internal and external.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#t56
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

cool thanks for that! this is baffling me, the more I take it apart the more I find nothing is wrong. throw-out bearing is a little wobbly but I think that is from removing the trans which was a PITA so I will get a new one to be safe. pilot bushing looks good, clutch looks good and is operational, hydraulic systems is still holding fluid and working properly. I'm wondering what could've gone bad in the trans that would keep it from going into all gears, it would be one thing if it were just one or two gears, then I would guess syncros or something but the fact it is all gears has me stumped. the only other thing I can think of is possibly the slave is bad? but I would think I would see leaking fluid if that went bad, no? guess I'll be calling around to local trans shops to see if anyone has experience re-building t56's before shipping it out to a place like RPM or Tick performance for a rebuild/upgrade. I hate seeing this car sit on jack stands in my garage as I have been pretty much daily driving it since April so I'd like to get it back up and running asap

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

One of the things that caught my eye in the service manual was “pilot bearing between input shaft and output shaft binding”. That would probably affect all gears.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast