Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Lurker

Status
    Name
    CLAUDETTE E DUNFORD
    Vehicle
    1995 Firebird Formula LTD

Default Gm air intake elbow p/n confusion

Hi. I need to replace air intake elbow on my 95 firebird formula. The number listed on the part is 25147186/25147187 but when I've looked online I find one or the other for sale, so how do I know which part to buy?

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

The one ending in 87 is the 1LE elbow (no silencer tube) for vented Opti (95-97). The one ending in 86 should be thesame elbow, but WITH the silencer tube. Hawk's Third Gen has a used 86 part, and it shows the silencer tube. Get the 1LE version.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Marc
    Vehicle
    1995 Formula

There's someone on Craigslist selling 2 of the 1LE elbows. They are in Jersey so shouldn't be too far from you.
    I'd post the link but I don't know how. Just search lt1 and it should come up.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
    1995 FORMULA M6

Lurker

Status
    Name
    CLAUDETTE E DUNFORD
    Vehicle
    1995 Firebird Formula LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    The one ending in 87 is the 1LE elbow (no silencer tube) for vented Opti (95-97). The one ending in 86 should be thesame elbow, but WITH the silencer tube. Hawk's Third Gen has a used 86 part, and it shows the silencer tube. Get the 1LE version.
    but mine has the silencer tube n i guess i'm ok with that????

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

All 93-97 non-SS/WS6 LT1 F-Bodies had the elbow WITH the silencer tube. EXCEPT the cars the were ordered with the 1LE performance option. 1LE was mainly a handling option, with limits on some of the accessories that could be ordered. The 1LE engine (same as any other LT1) had an elbow WITHOUT the silencer tube. I suspect in the belief that someone buying a package primarily intende for track use wouldn't care if the engine had a bit of induction noise.

http://www.ws6.com/faq/4_1.htm#ch4_1j

As soon as LT1 owners became aware of the 1LE's existence, many started replacing the stock/silencer elbow with the 1LE elbow, in the belief that it would provide some magic HP increase. It didn't, nothing you could measure. I built my own... removed the silencer tube, filled the hole in the elbow with the upside down cut-off end of the silencer tube, then filled the inside opening w/ epoxy, and smoothed it to conform to the inside surface of the elbow. I did not notice any increase in induction noise, and could not see any HP. The main difference is that it is much easier to install the 1LE elbow, without having to wrestle with the dangling silencer tube.

You can use either one. You will not screw anything up by using the 1LE elbow.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.