Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status

Default Options For External Fuel Pump

So.... I bought a dual Walbro 430 set up, but now looking at how my fuel gauge sender will work.... looking at now ditching the internal tank pumps and go with an external... what are you guys using for a fuel tank sump and return??

also... what pumps are you using... looking for a pump that can handle 900 hp.... I know all are noisy by comparison to in tank but curious what your using and any issues on the street??

thanks!!

Tim

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg
    96 Vert 383 forged AFR 210 LT4 Intake CP Pistons T400 Moser 9" Borg Warner S480

Lurker

Status

Seen this... anyone have any xperience with them??.... pricey:-)

http://www.behindbarsracecars.com/Ca.../bbrcc9397.htm

This is what I have below my car
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrf-mp-4301

Drilled a 10an hole in the stock fuel tank, snugged up a bulkhead fitting and so far, so good. Would I recommend taking hard turns on a low tank? No way, but for my purposes its worked perfect. I have the pump right between the tank and trunk. Pump is mounted on stuff like this https://www.mcmaster.com/#isolation-mounts/=1dk3kkr It is connected to factory hard lines and factory filter. So far, so good with my setup.

Downside to large pumps and simple on/off controls, it literally will drain your tank almost continuously. So you end up with a ton of fuel being moved around and adding heat to it. If you get fancy, you can run a PWM control loop to ramp up fuel pump with TPS/MAP sensor feedbacks. However you do it, make sure you feed the pump well. I have 10awg and a big ass contactor to trigger my pump on/off based off of PCM command.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Ditto.... welded a -10AN fitting to the very back/bottom of the stock tank. As noted, not for corner carving, but the outboard pump is only for the (dry) nitrous.... only used in a straight line. Dual Bosch high pressure 205 LPH pumps. One in the tank, modified for in-tank application, in a modified stock sending bracket - runs all the time. Second pump off the -10AN fitting, with an inline configuration - only runs when nitrous system is armed.

Inline pump discharge line merges with in-tank discharge line, before the fuel filter. -6AN to modified parallel rails. -6AN return off the diagonal fuel rail crossover line to stock connection on sending unit.

Each pump is capable of supporting 500+ HP, system running at 58 PSI. No problems w/ in tank level sensor
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Injuneer; 07-04-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Easy way? Get yourself a new stock hanger and build a dual whalbro setup on that.

Neat hanger though. Where'd you find that at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

Lurker

Status

Great information.... thanks!!

I'm going to drop the tank and drain it.... see if I can use the twin setup I have and maybe find a universal fuel gauge sending unit that does not attach to the pump.... I'm going to do what your did and weld a -10 fitting to the bottom and top of the tank as the back up.... I'm switching to e85 so will not be running the stock lines.

Lurker

Status

My son works for Leash Electronics and the owner built a few of these... I jumped on one as soon as he made it available:-)

I was pretty jazzed about it until I ran across the sending unit problem... I'm thinks I'll try to find a universal sending unit that does not attach to the pump... they seem readily available.

Musict - i just replied to your other thread. My tank looks just like Injuneer's.
    1996 T/A - 383, BW S-475, TH350, Trickflows, LE Cam, Revmax

LTX Regular

Status

Magnafuel 750 mp4303
    93 SRZ

02 MY Z06, LG pro LT headers, catted X-pipe, Borla stingers, CC 224/228, CC918's, CAI, CCW's just your basic C5Z

Lurker

Status

Thanks for the input guy's!!

I had to modify what I had to reach the bottom of the tank, but I think it will work.... I'm also going to install a -10 fuel cell bulk head in the bottom of the tank as a back up... I can use my current sending unit for the return and vent if I ditch the in tank set up.

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg