Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    When my camaro dropped its, we drained the oil and hit the pan with a rubber hammer... first whack u heard it clanging around in there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    This is on my agenda, as is the remedy Tubby Z28 used. I dunno about the route the OP went removing the pan...I've got some big hands.
    '94 Z28 Red, SLP Ultra Z hood/air box/spoiler, LT1 w/deletions & mods, 4L60e Pro Race build by​ CPT, Pacesetter LTs with stainless Speed Engineering LS1 True Duals, LS1 front brakes, Kenny Brown Double Diamond SFCs.
    '94 Z28 Arctic White, T-tops, retired.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ardent_Z28 For This Post:

The Nitrous Outlet Junkie

Status
    Name
    Troy
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Ardent_Z28 View Post
    This is on my agenda, as is the remedy Tubby Z28 used. I dunno about the route the OP went removing the pan...I've got some big hands.
    OP here ... I remove the starter and pulled the dipstick back out unbolted the motor mounts I've then use the cherry picker to pick up the motor as high as I could.. it was a very tight fit the flexplate but I was able to flex the oil pan just a little bit to get underneath the flexplate

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    94 Formula "budget build" #thebeaterbird
    10.177 @128.31 on a lil 250 shot
    350, LT1, carb, LE grind cam, th400, 4k stall, ford 8.8 w/ 4.10s

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by zooguy View Post
    OP here ... I remove the starter and pulled the dipstick back out unbolted the motor mounts I've then use the cherry picker to pick up the motor as high as I could.. it was a very tight fit the flexplate but I was able to flex the oil pan just a little bit to get underneath the flexplate

I just confirmed that my tube is bouncin' in the pan. I had a notion ya went thru all that to get the pan off...I even told my wife that's the only way I could see ya gettin' it done. Now it's my turn to git 'er done. LTxTECH rules !!! I've learned sooo much about trivial fixes, as well as major repairs on this site.
    '94 Z28 Red, SLP Ultra Z hood/air box/spoiler, LT1 w/deletions & mods, 4L60e Pro Race build by​ CPT, Pacesetter LTs with stainless Speed Engineering LS1 True Duals, LS1 front brakes, Kenny Brown Double Diamond SFCs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ardent_Z28 For This Post:

The Nitrous Outlet Junkie

Status
    Name
    Troy
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

I just confirmed that my tube is bouncin' in the pan. I had a notion ya went thru all that to get the pan off...I even told my wife that's the only way I could see ya gettin' it done. Now it's my turn to git 'er done. LTxTECH rules !!! I've learned sooo much about trivial fixes, as well as major repairs on this site.
    I have a th400 transmission behind my motor and the ears didn't get cut off as far as I could have so those were running into the transmission tunnel when I jacked up the motor... with a 4 L 60 e transmission or even the 6-speed you might be able to lift the motor higher than I was able to ... make sure before you lift it up you take off the oil sending unit from behind the intake manifold because it will crack against your firewall and you will wind up having a massive oil leak if you don't.

94 Formula "budget build" #thebeaterbird
    10.177 @128.31 on a lil 250 shot
    350, LT1, carb, LE grind cam, th400, 4k stall, ford 8.8 w/ 4.10s

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by zooguy View Post

On my camaro we did the same lifting the motor, but also loosened the 6 bolts on the kmember and let it drop that 1/2" as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

I bought a Melling hi volume oil pump with the tube welded on from a local member. I recently read that a hi volume oil pump will practically drain a stock oil pan. Is this cause to also get a deeper pan? It is my understanding the stock LT1 oil pump is a hi volume unit, so I figured the stock oil pan would suffice. Is this a safe assumption? The Gulf coast humidity is finally getting bearable to change out my defective oil pump.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

I bought a Melling hi volume oil pump with the tube welded on from a local member. I recently read that a hi volume oil pump will practically drain a stock oil pan. Is this cause to also get a deeper pan? It is my understanding the stock LT1 oil pump is a hi volume unit, so I figured the stock oil pan would suffice. Is this a safe assumption? The Gulf coast humidity is finally getting bearable to change out my defective oil pump.
    I heard the same thing, but have no first hand experience. My camaros motor has a high volume op as well. No issues, but then again I never stayed wot by the mile/s either.

LTXtexh.com is my drug...

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

the concern with a high volume oil pump to my knowledge is bearing clearances not set up for the extra volume. if the bearings are too tight, it causes issues and youll probably strip the oil pump drive gear.

we never run them. we use a stock melling replacement with a gm white high pressure spring.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

You can take the oil pan off while the engines in the car. Using a floor jack, bottle jack and Jack stands and some 4x4 and 2x4 piece off lumber.

If my memory serves me correctly

Have the car off the ground on jack stands.
    Then take the floor jack and pieces of wood and. Place it under the car bellhouseing and back of the engine. Take the motor mount bolts loss start jacking and lifting until the sump of the pan will clear the cross member unbolt the pan and fish it out support the front of the engine with the bottle jack. That is the just of how to do it. It's been about 17 years.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post
    the concern with a high volume oil pump to my knowledge is bearing clearances not set up for the extra volume. if the bearings are too tight, it causes issues and youll probably strip the oil pump drive gear.

we never run them. we use a stock melling replacement with a gm white high pressure spring.
    And all you would be doing is pushing a ton of oil past the bypass spring back to the pan, to then repeat. Heating oil status.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast