Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Thread: MSD 6AL issues

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

Default MSD 6AL issues

hey guys, installed my 6al box over the weekend and am having some issues. the box works but for some reason the 2-step function only works at one RPM (3k) no matter what I set it to. I also have it wired to a toggle switch in my center console and for some reason it activates when I turn off the 12v source and deactivates when I turn on the 12v source. I have the switch wired up to the blue wire coming off the box and the directions say the 2 step function activates when 12v is applied, so for some reason it is backwards. I've double checked everything and it seems to be wired correctly. just wondering if anyone else has seen this or may have an idea of what is going on. I am okay with the switch being backwards, just not sure why when I adjust the 2 step limiter function it does nothing.

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

10 Second N/A Club

Status
    Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    96 Z28

Are you using the MSD 8739 or 8732 2 step box and is it an analog or digital 6AL?
    -Josh
    co-owner of BDBRacing.com
    NMCA OC 9004
    96, N/A 385, Holley EFI, Faceplated M6, AI TFS heads, LE SR cam, MWC Fab 9
    10.16 @ 136 1.50 60'........still workin on that 60' shootin for 1.4's!

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

It sounds more like he may have the 6AL-2, which has the 2-step built in. Unclear.

https://www.msdperformance.com/produ...rip/parts/6421
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

oops sorry, yeah it is the 6AL-2 digital box.

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Did you use a volt meter to check if the switch for the 2-step 12 volts has the on/off label backwards? Is there anything else on the 12 volt circuit like a line lock or trans brake?

Assuming you have the 4-6-8 cylinder dial set fully clock-wise.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

I did not, and that could be possible, it is just a simple toggle switch I got at O'Reillys. I have it on the same circuit as my electric cutout, both toggle switches are in the ashtray area of the center console. I flipped the on/off marker on it so not terribly worried about that at this point. I am thinking there is something going on internally with the box, so may need to return it to get fixed or replaced which sucks since I have it all wired into the car. luckily I have the MSD jumper harness so I didn't have to splice any of the factory coil wires.

yes cylinder dial is fully clockwise

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

okay so update to this, not sure how or why but the 2 step function is now working correctly with the switch on. I have no idea why it is now working but I'm not gonna touch it lol I've been driving the car around since I've been back from vacation testing it and its been working with the switch in the on position and revs up to the rpm I have it set at. again, no idea why it all of a sudden started working properly but I'm not gonna complain