Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status

Default Accel Thruster & Alternator

Hope it's acceptable to post a question like this in this area.....

i just installed this Thruster system to replace my Accel Gen 6.... I got it on the cheap, so I jumped on it primarily for the data logging capabilities compared to the Gen 6. The Gen 6 "piggybacks" on the main harness where the Thruster is a stand alone ECU.... For now I left the Gen 6 hooked up to the main harness and the engine harness pushed to the side.

alternator question.... I do not have the small wire hooked up to the alternator.... only the big one.... it doesn't seem to be charging.... do I need to hook up that small wire or can I use another method to excite the alternator??

when I turn the key off the engine continues to run for about 10 seconds before completely shutting down.... is this due to the alternator, or is something else back feeding the Thruster ECU.... I have the ECU tied into a Painless fuse & relay board that is turned on when the Ken is turned to "on"

thanks for your input!!

Tim
    96 Vert 383 forged AFR 210 LT4 Intake CP Pistons T400 Moser 9" Borg Warner S480

The small red is the exciter power for field, you need to feed it 12v.

I believe a 470 ohmn resistor in series with that is needed.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Correct. Stock wiring gets 12 volt power from the “Gages” fuse. That power connects to the “Check Gages” module in the instrument cluster. That module has a 470 ohm resistor in the path of the small red wire from the module to the alternator.

In a 1996 that's only for the V8. If you started with a V6 chassis, the red wire passes thru the PCM on the way to the alternator. GM-speak calls it a “generator”.

http://shbox.com/1/starter_charging_96.jpg
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Lurker

Status

Ok.... so, I need to run an ignition hot to the alternators with a 470 ohm resistor in series.... I'll have to find a resistor with that resistance value.... any suggestions??

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Do you still have a stock instrument cluster?
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Lurker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Do you still have a stock instrument cluster?
    Correct.... I do

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Mike Glick
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS, 93 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by musict View Post
    Ok.... so, I need to run an ignition hot to the alternators with a 470 ohm resistor in series.... I'll have to find a resistor with that resistance value.... any suggestions??
    Radio Shack, if you can find one still in business.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by musict View Post
    Correct.... I do
    All you need to do is connect a new wire to pin "A" in connector C220. C220 connects the instrument panel harness to the engine harness, and is in the passenger compartment, behind the passenger side kick panel. That gets you switched ignition power, through the 470 ohm resistor. Your "check gages" light should still work with regard to system voltage.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lurker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    All you need to do is connect a new wire to pin "A" in connector C220. C220 connects the instrument panel harness to the engine harness, and is in the passenger compartment, behind the passenger side kick panel. That gets you switched ignition power, through the 470 ohm resistor. Your "check gages" light should still work with regard to system voltage.
    Ok... I'll look for that.... I have passenger side apart as that is where the Thruster box and harness are located.... so do I remove the wire already populated in pin A going towards the engine harness and replace with new wire going to alternator??

I'm eventually gong to pull out the engine harness.

Thanks for the help

Tim

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

If the existing wire is long enough, and not damaged, reuse it. If too short, add similar gage wire with a good splice. If any damage to existing wire, replace it. The Weatherpack connector would need a new pin if you need to replace the wire.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...pencer-clayton