Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

The Nitrous Outlet Junkie

Status
    Name
    Troy
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

Default Question about cylinder heads and nitrous

I'm not sure the exact location that this post needs to be made in so if it needs to be moved please feel free.

Okay the car is back together there's a few more things on the list to finish before I start spraying but I'm getting close.

Before converting to a carburetor I put my car on the dyno and sprayed a 200 shot and there was no tuning ... all it had was open long tube headers 1.6 roller rockers and an open throttle body.

The car picked up 175hp and 202tq

I'm sure with a proper tune it would have made more but my question is was I running into a wall with how much the factory intake manifold would flow or was I running into a wall with how much the factory cylinder heads would ingest?

I know I left a lot of horsepower on the table by not doing anything to the cylinder heads they are not ported or polished all I did was take a toothbrush and some brake cleaner and cleaned out the ports so they weren't so dirty. ... I'm just curious if with this new motor is it going to be a waste trying to spray anything over a 175 shot because the cylinder heads can't suck it in?

Does anybody know the maximum amount of nitrous they can spray on stock port cylinder heads?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    94 Formula "budget build" #thebeaterbird
    10.177 @128.31 on a lil 250 shot
    350, LT1, carb, LE grind cam, th400, 4k stall, ford 8.8 w/ 4.10s

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by zooguy View Post
    I'm not sure the exact location that this post needs to be made in so if it needs to be moved please feel free.

Okay the car is back together there's a few more things on the list to finish before I start spraying but I'm getting close.

Before converting to a carburetor I put my car on the dyno and sprayed a 200 shot and there was no tuning ... all it had was open long tube headers 1.6 roller rockers and an open throttle body.

The car picked up 175hp and 202tq

I'm sure with a proper tune it would have made more but my question is was I running into a wall with how much the factory intake manifold would flow or was I running into a wall with how much the factory cylinder heads would ingest?

I know I left a lot of horsepower on the table by not doing anything to the cylinder heads they are not ported or polished all I did was take a toothbrush and some brake cleaner and cleaned out the ports so they weren't so dirty. ... I'm just curious if with this new motor is it going to be a waste trying to spray anything over a 175 shot because the cylinder heads can't suck it in?

Does anybody know the maximum amount of nitrous they can spray on stock port cylinder heads?

neither. you are using a plate, plate maxes around 175 shot. thru an auto, you picked up 175 whp, 200tq. that deviation is small enough that I wouldn't think about it (variations in dyno, variations in weather, variations due to automatic trans/stall)

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!