Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
Shootout

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Justin
    Vehicle
    1995 Formula

Default My Pain in the Ass Car

I did some maintenance on my opti the other day I think more people should be aware of.

I've been trying to get the car ready for my buddy to tune and it's been one problem after another. Anyway, a few days before I was going to drop it off to him, It started idling rough and popped a Hi-res code. I'm deploying soon and don't have time to send my opti back to MSD to be rebuilt before i leave to I tried something else. I pulled it off and cleaned the inside real well with electronic parts cleaner. Also, since its about 7-8 years old, I cleaned up the contact points in the cap and rotor. When I got it apart, I was a little disappointed to find it was fairly clean for being on the car for that long. But I sprayed it off and wire brushed the contacts.

I got it back together and it worked. No codes, idles pretty damn smooth for a cammed motor and the butt dyno responded pretty well too. It actually surprised me a bit.

It just goes to show that a little maintenance can bring a failing opti back to life.
    95 Cyber Grey Formula M6
    396 ported AFRs
    236/242 .582/.582 112
    Dynoed 502rwhp 455 rwtq

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ElkySS View Post
    I did some maintenance on my opti the other day I think more people should be aware of.

I've been trying to get the car ready for my buddy to tune and it's been one problem after another. Anyway, a few days before I was going to drop it off to him, It started idling rough and popped a Hi-res code. I'm deploying soon and don't have time to send my opti back to MSD to be rebuilt before i leave to I tried something else. I pulled it off and cleaned the inside real well with electronic parts cleaner. Also, since its about 7-8 years old, I cleaned up the contact points in the cap and rotor. When I got it apart, I was a little disappointed to find it was fairly clean for being on the car for that long. But I sprayed it off and wire brushed the contacts.

I got it back together and it worked. No codes, idles pretty damn smooth for a cammed motor and the butt dyno responded pretty well too. It actually surprised me a bit.

It just goes to show that a little maintenance can bring a failing opti back to life.
    an 8 year old msd will live. just dont send it back to them for anything or it will never ever work again

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2009 G8 GXP #871 - Stock and faster than my LT1

1994 Z28 T56 - Le2 H/C, SBE, Hooker lt's, some rod ended suspension stuff, and a whole lotta tetanus

The wrench for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ P600B/ CPT Pro Race/Pro Torque 3200

"The Rock"

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28, 1994 Trans Am GT, 1985/1996 Corvette CLONE

Quote Originally Posted by ElkySS View Post

Thats great news...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..