Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1968 Camaro

Default New to all of this, '68 Camaro, '93 LT1 what do I do???

Hey, I'm new the the forum, I'm new to owning a 68 Camaro, and I'm new to the whole LT1 thing. I recently traded a guy my 95 custom built Dodge Cummins ( hints the screen name) for a '68 Camaro, a 1993 Pontiac Firebird, two 93 LT1 motors, harness', computers, a 700R4, and a bunch of parts. His goal was to swap the motor but never got around to it. Then it was traded to me and now I have a bunch of stuff I have limited knowledge about, but wanna make it happen.

The past few weeks I have been day and night, researching, and learning everything I possibly can about what I have. I'm into building and tinkering but don't know about this stuff in particular.. I plan on finishing the swap, but I need guidance. I've since been working on the "stand alone" harness. I found a decent write up on "LT1swap.com", but I'm at a loss with what I need to do for the "VATS" or the ECU, it currently has a Jet Chip installed but I'm not sure what that changes from factory, I also have not heard either one of these motors run, as one had a stripped oil drain plug, and the other had the oil pan punctured upon delivery to me.

I've since ordered a replacement oil pan, and began to strip the motor for a cam job. In doing this I have found 5 collapsed lifters, 2 stripped rocker arm studs. do I keep working on this engine, or start taking apart the other? I guess i'm trying to really know If i'm wasting my time and money trying to continue this project or should I regroup and take a different course of action.. any suggestions, ideas, or advice will help me greatly in this early stage of what I'm hoping to be a long lasting, fun filled adventure!

Thanks in advance,
    Chris.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Welcome man... sounds like u got lotsa stuff. Lets start with some pics now....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Collapsed lifters and stripped rockers could be a sign of things to come. You may want to investigate the other motor that's there.

I may be wrong, but I believe if you get a custom tune you can completely do away with the VATS module and stuff, but the ECU itself you'll still need unless you're moving to a 24x or the like, or a standalone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselfool View Post
    Hey, I'm new the the forum, I'm new to owning a 68 Camaro, and I'm new to the whole LT1 thing. I recently traded a guy my 95 custom built Dodge Cummins ( hints the screen name) for a '68 Camaro, a 1993 Pontiac Firebird, two 93 LT1 motors, harness', computers, a 700R4, and a bunch of parts. His goal was to swap the motor but never got around to it. Then it was traded to me and now I have a bunch of stuff I have limited knowledge about, but wanna make it happen.

The past few weeks I have been day and night, researching, and learning everything I possibly can about what I have. I'm into building and tinkering but don't know about this stuff in particular.. I plan on finishing the swap, but I need guidance. I've since been working on the "stand alone" harness. I found a decent write up on "LT1swap.com", but I'm at a loss with what I need to do for the "VATS" or the ECU, it currently has a Jet Chip installed but I'm not sure what that changes from factory, I also have not heard either one of these motors run, as one had a stripped oil drain plug, and the other had the oil pan punctured upon delivery to me.

I've since ordered a replacement oil pan, and began to strip the motor for a cam job. In doing this I have found 5 collapsed lifters, 2 stripped rocker arm studs. do I keep working on this engine, or start taking apart the other? I guess i'm trying to really know If i'm wasting my time and money trying to continue this project or should I regroup and take a different course of action.. any suggestions, ideas, or advice will help me greatly in this early stage of what I'm hoping to be a long lasting, fun filled adventure!

Thanks in advance,
    Chris.
    start taking apart the other, while looking for a 94+ harness and computer. 93 is a bastard year, and a pain in the ass to tune.

best of luck. theres alot of knowledge to go around here

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1968 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    Welcome man... sounds like u got lotsa stuff. Lets start with some pics now....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thank you!, I'll get some up as soon as I figure out how.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
    Collapsed lifters and stripped rockers could be a sign of things to come. You may want to investigate the other motor that's there.

I may be wrong, but I believe if you get a custom tune you can completely do away with the VATS module and stuff, but the ECU itself you'll still need unless you're moving to a 24x or the like, or a standalone.
    I have read that I can have the chip re programmed to delete the vats stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    start taking apart the other, while looking for a 94+ harness and computer. 93 is a bastard year, and a pain in the ass to tune.

best of luck. theres alot of knowledge to go around here

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Thank you guys, I'm hoping with your help this will go as smoothly as possible.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1968 Camaro
    Last edited by Dieselfool; 04-19-2018 at 04:09 PM.

You can always go carbed if you want to simplify things. GM makes an LT1 specific carb intake, or you can convert a standard sbc intake. The bolt pattern is different and there's no water passages on the LT1 intake.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-24502592
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1968 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by joelster View Post
    You can always go carbed if you want to simplify things. GM makes an LT1 specific carb intake, or you can convert a standard sbc intake. The bolt pattern is different and there's no water passages on the LT1 intake.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-24502592
    it is something that I had considered, and isn't completely out of the question, as I do have two of these motors. I was thinking I could carb one, and tinker with the FI motor in spare time... would I have to do anything to the front timing cover for the old opti-spark shaft hole? and would you recommend any specific carburetor or ignition system ?

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Defiantly would carb it, then you will get rid off everything that makes a LT1 bad and have one bad ass motor. Then if you wanted EFI just get a Fitech unit later.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1968 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by fullforce View Post
    Defiantly would carb it, then you will get rid off everything that makes a LT1 bad and have one bad ass motor. Then if you wanted EFI just get a Fitech unit later.
    Then I will definitely start to look into that. thank you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast