Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jm
    Vehicle

Default basic tune for vortech supercharged lt1

Basic tune for vortech supercharged lt1

hello all,
    i have a 95 lt1 a4 vert trans am. I picked up a vortech v1 supercharger waaaayyy cheep.
    I got it on the car but as of now am being pretty easy on it.
    i am looking to “tune” the car a little with tuner cats. (I am a total beginner in this space)
    car is basically stock it has 3” car back, vortech v1 supercharger fmu, vortech in line pump booster,crane cam hi-6r ignition. Boost gauge (about #5 is all I’m putting out now) wideband.
    I’m in California 91+ is what I’m running,
    timing is set to -1* per lb boost
    (No intercooler or after cooler)
    I do have 60 lbs injectors NOT YET installed still need to upgrade the the fuel pump. (where are y’all getting the walbro pumps at or a good price)
    are there any things I should chance in my stock tune to help make it a little safer, it will be a few months before I can pick up a fuel pump for the injectors.

Photos would e great if y’all are useing c.a.t.s.

thanks in advance.

i picked the car up for 500 bucks runs pretty darn good. I will in a year or two build a motor for a little. just looking for some basic tune tips so I can enjoy driving the car on weekend for a while with out it just blowing up.
    Last edited by TheFknJm; 03-25-2018 at 06:25 PM.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by TheFknJm View Post

hello all,
    i have a 95 lt1 a4 vert trans am. I picked up a vortech v1 supercharger waaaayyy cheep.
    i am looking to “tune” the car a little with tuner cats. (I am a total beginner in this space)
    car is basically stock it has 3” car back, vortech v1 supercharger fmu, vortech in line pump booster,crane cam hi-6r ignition. Boost gauge (about #5 is all I’m putting out now) wideband.
    I do have 60 lbs injectors NOT YET installed still need to upgrade the the fuel pump. (where are y’all getting the walbro pumps at or a good price)
    are there any things I should chance in my stock tune to help make it a little safer, it will be a few months before I can pick up a fuel pump for the injectors.

thanks in advance.

i picked the car up for 500 bucks runs pretty darn good. I will in a year or two build a motor for a little. just looking for some basic tune tips so I can enjoy driving the car on weekend for a while with out it just blowing up.
    I cant help u with the tuning. But as the owner of a boosted car, be careful. Tuning is tricky without boost, with boost you are one wrong click away from popping it... especially without the fuel system required to support boost.

I know @Tubby Z28 has messed with tuning boosted cars, but Im sure he will tell u the same thing... without the proper supporting mods... its engine Russian roulette...

I wish u luck though... a properly tuned boost car on a properly built motor and other systems is sooooo much fun.

Now tell us more about a 500 running car... lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

hello all,

thanks in advance.

walbro 255 is gonna be close on 60lb Injectors. I wouldn't run it with a fmu they scare me

get a wide band, integrate it into the a.c. wiring so you can log it while driving. and go easy on tuning at first. I'd start at 28° total timing in boost and work from there for safety of pistons

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jm
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    I cant help u with the tuning. But as the owner of a boosted car, be careful. Tuning is tricky without boost, with boost you are one wrong click away from popping it... especially without the fuel system required to support boost.

I know @Tubby Z28 has messed with tuning boosted cars, but Im sure he will tell u the same thing... without the proper supporting mods... its engine Russian roulette...

I wish u luck though... a properly tuned boost car on a properly built motor and other systems is sooooo much fun.

Now tell us more about a 500 running car... lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 500 dollar running car. I know ot sounds crazy. So the story goes like this. It was about 2 years ago I was surfing Craig’s list and there was a guy selling a 95 trans am he wanted 1k. I went and took a look basically the car was stolen and the owner got paid out for the car, the car was the. Recovered and completely fine. The owner eventually had the Ac compressor go bad and pulled it radiator fans etc etc. The owner was a older gentlemen who unfortunately fell and broke his hip. The car was covered and non oped for about 2 years. About a year in to the non op the owner moved from the house the car was being keep. He allowed his son to move in to the house. Flash forward to when I bought the car basically the son living in the House was now a crack head and the Dad/car owner was selling the house and everything he had left at the house to be rid of his crack head son.

I offered 500 bucks for the car and it became mine. I order Order and replaced all the Ac stuff everything but the condenser in the cab got a junk yard radiator and did a basic tune up oil plugs etc etc. the car fired up and runs pretty darn good, passed smog no problem and I have been driving it around (fun toy car not my daily) for about 2 years now.

I did order a ram air aftmarket cheep hood off eBay for 500 bucks and got had a functional ram air on the car, new carpet 3 in cat back and pulled the tranny pan and chained the fluid.

I got super lucky and am extremely happy with how everything has turned out thus far

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jm
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    walbro 255 is gonna be close on 60lb Injectors. I wouldn't run it with a fmu they scare me

get a wide band, integrate it into the a.c. wiring so you can log it while driving. and go easy on tuning at first. I'd start at 28° total timing in boost and work from there for safety of pistons

Thanks for the info, would you suggest a different pump or should I not use the 60 lbs injectors, I got them from the guy I got the sc from so i though hey on my “budget” car use what freebie I can.
    I’ll google how to hook the wide band I have on the car to my Ac for data logging. Thanks for that info I had no idea thst was possible. I’ll google that today. Yeah the fmu makes me nervous I only just starting driving the car with the sc on it this weekend I would dare drive until the wide band was on. Before the car gets in to boost it AFR floats around 13.2 to 14.9 ish under boost the fmu so for seams to be working and take the AFR to around 10.5 to 11.3 ish.
    The only timing change so far has been the crane cam boost retard per lb as vortech Manuel said to do (-1* per lb boost out to -5* timing)
    Last edited by TheFknJm; 03-25-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the info, would you suggest a different pump or should I not use the 60 lbs injectors, I got them from the guy I got the sc from so i though hey on my “budget” car use what freebie I can.
    I’ll google how to hook the wide band I have on the car to my Ac for data logging. Thanks for that info I had no idea thst was possible. I’ll google that today. Yeah the fmu makes me nervous I only just starting driving the car with the sc on it this weekend I would dare drive until the wide band was on. Before the car gets in to boost it AFR floats around 13.2 to 14.9 ish under boost the fmu so for seams to be working and take the AFR to around 10.5 to 11.3 ish.
    The only timing change so far has been the crane cam boost retard per lb as vortech Manuel said to do (-1* per lb boost out to -5* timing)
    I would just tune it into the ecm, it'll transition to boost better if you perfect it on the factory ecm.

We had seen at 8psi a walbro 255 couldn't keep up with 42lb injectors.

use the maf, put a cx racing front mount on it. make a decent inlet that puts the filter down low. cooler intake air is safer than hot stuff with the vortec

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

Def ditch the FMU, run a aeromotive 340lph or a geniune walbro 255lph. (If the price is too good, its fake, and it will fail)

Agreed with the above about the FMIC, it will help a ton and the ebay stuff will be fine at your level of boost. I disagree on the MAF, but thats just me. Whatever gain you can get on inlet temps (larger filter, moved to a cold area, less restriction on inlet etc) will all reflect on the life expectancy of your motor.

AFR in boost is good, I run mine at 10.5 cause gas is cheap, motors are not. I will cause some anger but keep your timing low, mine is ~18* with 15psi. Read your plugs.

If you want to add more safety since you are limited to 91, toss a meth setup on it and do not tune for it.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jm
    Vehicle

I am definitely nervous about the fmu amd the hot air.
    I have started the process with http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/tips/ for a simple “safe” tune. I am lacking the knowledge to do any base tuning my self. At least with that I will feel a little more confident that I can Cruz around on the weekends with out it going boom. I’ll look into the fuel upgrades next along with the intercooler.
    All also get the wide band hooked to the Ac so I can datalog that.

The info I have is definitely enough to keep my busy tinkering around and working in a good direction

I’ll keep y’all posted about progress and set back.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

I am definitely nervous about the fmu amd the hot air.
    I have started the process with http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/tips/ for a simple “safe” tune. I am lacking the knowledge to do any base tuning my self. At least with that I will feel a little more confident that I can Cruz around on the weekends with out it going boom. I’ll look into the fuel upgrades next along with the intercooler.
    All also get the wide band hooked to the Ac so I can datalog that.

The info I have is definitely enough to keep my busy tinkering around and working in a good direction

I’ll keep y’all posted about progress and set back.
    just whatever you do, don't let Solomon actually tune your car. a few can attest to how much he DOESNT know.

2021 Charger Scat 392

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    just whatever you do, don't let Solomon actually tune your car. a few can attest to how much he DOESNT know.

fo realz.

The only guy I know who has a solid rep at this point in the game is Moe. And he has a turbo car, so he is ok in my book.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast