Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Hybrid View

Lurker

Status

Default Stock rotor weight.

So im trying to find the lightest weight version of a vented rotor for our cars and im not getting anywhere. I was wondering if anyone has done some deeper search then i have on finding a stock style vented rotor that is super light for our cars or as light as it can be lol

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

I don't think your gunna find much, savings in a set of front brakes. why you looking to save weight there
    94 Z28 - 396 - TH400 - 9in - SLOW

3. The Following User Says Thank You to agenthol302 For This Post:

I looked at the Wilwood site years ago. There was a way to build front rotors to fit our cars. The rotors would be around 8-9lbs each, but would cost about $175 each. I never followed through and did it though. A stock rotor weighs around 18lbs. So $350 for a 20lb unsprung weight savings is pretty good.
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by joelster View Post
    I looked at the Wilwood site years ago. There was a way to build front rotors to fit our cars. The rotors would be around 8-9lbs each, but would cost about $175 each. I never followed through and did it though. A stock rotor weighs around 18lbs. So $350 for a 20lb unsprung weight savings is pretty good.
    they told me 600+ for a 2 piece aluminum hat vented rotor 3 months ago....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Wow! I was building mine from an online catalog. The hats were $100ish, rotors $65ish and bolts were $10ish or close to that. This was around 2011.
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

7. The Following User Says Thank You to joelster For This Post:

Lurker

Status

i guess i can shoot them a call and im looking for all four rotors. and the reason im doing this is because most of the kits out there for our cars are drag race kits witch are really not meant for the street. since there a solid rotor and they are non vented they will retain he in stop and go traffic witch the car sees.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadowbandit View Post
    i guess i can shoot them a call and im looking for all four rotors. and the reason im doing this is because most of the kits out there for our cars are drag race kits witch are really not meant for the street. since there a solid rotor and they are non vented they will retain he in stop and go traffic witch the car sees.
    Uhm, ok, let's talk about this. the rear rotors are a solid rotor. The fronts on all of my lt1 are standard internally vaned vented rotors. Granted, they do not have grooves or holes in them in the rotor face. Drilled rotors crack under heavy use, grooved and or dimpled rotors work well and dissipate heat.

If you want lighter brakes, get a wilwood kit for road racing. But honestly, I don't see a reason to shave a few lbs off brakes, especially rotors. you want them to stop.

Also, off the shelf summit slotted/dimpled rotors are vented as well.....even rears.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!