Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I can do the theoretical math, but I have no direct experience with a 30" diameter tire, other than seeing what a friend had to do with a 30.5" ET Drag (bias-ply slick) to get it to fit on his 30th SS Camaro. He had to cut back the sheet metal on the edge of the quarter panel in front of the tire, and cut back the bumper cover (and the sheet metal behind it). He also had to open up the inner fender liner. If he had simply tried to move the tire 2" deeper into the wheel well, I'm pretty sure the tire would be hitting the lower control arm, and the rear suspension would have to be modified somehow to clear the tire. Plus it would have looked really odd with the tire sunk way inside the fender.

Hopefully, someone that has actually put a tire that size on a Camaro can help you. It's impossible for me to give you a precise answer without actually looking at the setup, the wheel, the tire, the rear axle assembly.

You need to understand that the width of the rear axle assembly is not the only thing that determines where the tire sits in the wheel well. The other factor is the offset of the wheel. Stock wheels have roughly a 2" positive offset. If you narrow the stock rear by 2" on each side, you need wheels with a 0" offset to keep the wheels in the same position.

You also need to reference the points on the axle assembly where you are measuring 56" wide. The stock rear is 61-3/4" measure from the outer face of the wheel mounting (axle) flanges.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    I can do the theoretical math, but I have no direct experience with a 30" diameter tire, other than seeing what a friend had to do with a 30.5" ET Drag (bias-ply slick) to get it to fit on his 30th SS Camaro. He had to cut back the sheet metal on the edge of the quarter panel in front of the tire, and cut back the bumper cover (and the sheet metal behind it). He also had to open up the inner fender liner. If he had simply tried to move the tire 2" deeper into the wheel well, I'm pretty sure the tire would be hitting the lower control arm, and the rear suspension would have to be modified somehow to clear the tire. Plus it would have looked really odd with the tire sunk way inside the fender.

Hopefully, someone that has actually put a tire that size on a Camaro can help you. It's impossible for me to give you a precise answer without actually looking at the setup, the wheel, the tire, the rear axle assembly.

You need to understand that the width of the rear axle assembly is not the only thing that determines where the tire sits in the wheel well. The other factor is the offset of the wheel. Stock wheels have roughly a 2" positive offset. If you narrow the stock rear by 2" on each side, you need wheels with a 0" offset to keep the wheels in the same position.

You also need to reference the points on the axle assembly where you are measuring 56" wide. The stock rear is 61-3/4" measure from the outer face of the wheel mounting (axle) flanges.
    I haven't purchased the 315/60/15 drag radial yet. With what you are saying it looks like I would be safer to run 275/60/15 so that I don't have clearance issues with the bumper cover.

The reared is 56 in from flang to flang and then with the axals installed it is the old big ford brake syle and if I understand correctly that will add 2 3/8 in to each side since I have pro stars that are stock b.s. will I need to change the b.s. on the wheels to make this combination to work ?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12