Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default boost in the plans

New year, new me, car will get some upgrades hopefully. Boost is the plan...

I built an LT1 car recently that made incredible power on the stock bottom end and is completely reliable. It opened my eyes to the possibility of keeping the LT1 instead of finishing my LSA build.

However I'm wanting to take a bit of a odd approach. I want to take the top mount reversed rotation ProCharged approach...

I hate how they hide the charger down in the engine bay. I understand it is to fit in a stock car, but if I'm going to do it, I want it to stick out. My thoughts are grab a C4 charger that puts the intake forward and either flip the bracket(if it'll work) or cut my own. I have nothing n that side of the engine bay so fitment won't be an issue. This will also give me the ability to place the intake out of the heat soaked factory location and in a fresh air location.

I've also breezed over some pictures of the intercooler that comes with the C4 kit and it could possibly be made to work. This part is still up in the air but it is a possibility.

Has anyone attempted anything of the sort? I've seen where LS cars have done top mount chargers but haven't seen any LTs...

Thanks!
    the DD - 1993 Acura Legend
    the toy - 1995 Pontiac Firebird - 422hp 396tq

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Big plus if you make it work the way you want is not having that blasted 180* bend on the intake to the blower either. That was murderous on a buddies car, literally a 100 RWHP difference.

I'd say you best bet is do your own bracket like you said, then just do a normal FMIC setup instead of trying to make a C4 kit fit the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbird For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
    Big plus if you make it work the way you want is not having that blasted 180* bend on the intake to the blower either. That was murderous on a buddies car, literally a 100 RWHP difference.

I'd say you best bet is do your own bracket like you said, then just do a normal FMIC setup instead of trying to make a C4 kit fit the car.
    I had that 180 made by the owner of knopps out of metal... so mucj better than that stupid dryer hose.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    I had that 180 made by the owner of knopps out of metal... so mucj better than that stupid dryer hose.

Yeah, we tried the OEM Procharger piece on Bens car first, and it was a legit -100 RWHP verified on the dyno. Ben then had a custom pie cut piece made, but it was still costing him a significant amount of power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
    Yeah, we tried the OEM Procharger piece on Bens car first, and it was a legit -100 RWHP verified on the dyno. Ben then had a custom pie cut piece made, but it was still costing him a significant amount of power.
    Yeah, we did a pie cut piece first but on hard bumps id hear it clunk... so he made another one with a smoother design and put it in a press to oval it ratger than it being round...

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

honestly, I doubt a FMIC is in the plans. There's just no place to put it with good enough air flow. I'd be fine with the twin intercoolers that come with the fbody kit.

The car that got me thinking about this made great power with the factory piece from procharger. It was like blow-formed plastic. The car made 630 stock cubed just head/cam/etc.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbird31 View Post
    honestly, I doubt a FMIC is in the plans. There's just no place to put it with good enough air flow. I'd be fine with the twin intercoolers that come with the fbody kit.

The car that got me thinking about this made great power with the factory piece from procharger. It was like blow-formed plastic. The car made 630 stock cubed just head/cam/etc.
    twin intercoolers suck dude. we ran them for a little street and a few dyno rips and that was it, they heatsoak quick. big cx racing front mount with the center of bumper cut out keeps iat temps close to ambient, even in summer

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Quote Originally Posted by fullforce View Post
    Care to share??
    Or did I miss it somewhere else
    I didn't make any threads about it. It was a one owner 97 SS M6, 9k miles on the car. My dream build, guy let me take the wheel as far as appearance goes. Everything coated/polished/all ARP hardware on it. I did a head/cam setup with 24x first, it made 420/380, then he came back a year later and put a D1SC on it and it made 640 and high 5xx tq. I forget exacts. Ran through the twin coolers though, and it backed up the numbers multiple times on the dyno.

This is the build.
    First round:
    http://www.pcmofnc.com/2014/12/31/19...eads-cam-refo/

Second round:
    http://www.pcmofnc.com/2016/09/15/19...arger-install/

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    twin intercoolers suck dude. we ran them for a little street and a few dyno rips and that was it, they heatsoak quick. big cx racing front mount with the center of bumper cut out keeps iat temps close to ambient, even in summer

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I definitely understand the benefits of a FMIC, I just will not cut my front bumper to allow for the air flow, and just can't see positioning it anywhere else to be any more beneficial over the twin coolers.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Quote Originally Posted by tbird31 View Post
    New year, new me, car will get some upgrades hopefully. Boost is the plan...

I built an LT1 car recently that made incredible power on the stock bottom end
    Care to share??
    Or did I miss it somewhere else

I will be doing the top mount reverse rotation unit on mine probably around spring time. Many benefits from doing it. My biggest reason is to upgrade to F1-X.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast