Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Name
    6 speed Impy
    Vehicle
    1991 Z-28, 355, HSR, M6--2005 CTS-V (SOLD)--1994 Impala SS 6 Speed Swap--Have all blocks covered.

Default LT1 Rebuild vs LS Swap

Probably the wrong forum to be asking this (LTx board and all), but somewhat at crossroads as what to do with the LT-1 in the Impala SS. It runs fine, but does have 168k miles on it. My biggest complaint is the oil leaks, not severe, but does leave a few spots in the garage.

If I pull it, I would like to do a fresh rebuild, maybe some vette alloy heads, or some kind of alloy, LE worked, with a LE cam to match.

My thought is I could save a little money not going LS, and keeping it so much simpler (wiring and all), I could go with a set of nice Clear Image headers and cats, (De tail pipe sniff still). And of course gut the engine compartment and do all fresh paint while it is out.

Any thoughts??

Mike

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

It all depends on what you want to do with the car( drag, auto cross, street, or road race.) Do the fact of the LT1 block being a GM cast walk in the aftermarket blocks available at this time. That's the weakness of the platform when you can go purchase a plethora of parks to go in it to make it Bulletproof. No matter what you do if you do LT1 or LS1 swap you can put a lot of money into the build. The pros of saying LT1 not a need to change wiring harness another need to change K member to accept the different motor mounts of an LS. Wiring is always an issue and expensive. The positives I'm doing a l t Financial is no wiring harness if you're not doing it all out supercharged or Turbo build the block will hold up to 600 -800 horsepower with minimal issues. BLS call support up to 1500 horsepower on the stock block a 6-0 cast iron. (Manufacturer statement) Dallas has a wide variety of tuning software. I'm like the LT1 that has tutu three platforms depending on if your OBD2 or OBD1.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by 6 speed impy View Post
    Probably the wrong forum to be asking this (LTx board and all), but somewhat at crossroads as what to do with the LT-1 in the Impala SS. It runs fine, but does have 168k miles on it. My biggest complaint is the oil leaks, not severe, but does leave a few spots in the garage.

If I pull it, I would like to do a fresh rebuild, maybe some vette alloy heads, or some kind of alloy, LE worked, with a LE cam to match.

My thought is I could save a little money not going LS, and keeping it so much simpler (wiring and all), I could go with a set of nice Clear Image headers and cats, (De tail pipe sniff still). And of course gut the engine compartment and do all fresh paint while it is out.

Any thoughts??

Mike
    Didnt we go thru this a few months ago? I thought u already picked up an LT out of a vette???

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Lurker

Status
    Name
    6 speed Impy
    Vehicle
    1991 Z-28, 355, HSR, M6--2005 CTS-V (SOLD)--1994 Impala SS 6 Speed Swap--Have all blocks covered.

That deal fell through, he sold it to someone else for more money, yea my thoughts exactly. We had a deal, thought most car guys honor that, guess not. So back to square one.

Mike

Lurker

Status

The LS platform is newer tech and makes more power stock than a "stock" LT1

With that said I would, and did, build a 383 LT1. Way more plug and play than a LS swap and less $.

Just don't cheap out on the motor build and go forged bottom end

Karl at ERE or Golen can build a good short block and LE can provide H/C
    96 BBB 383/T56

Lurker

Status
    Name
    6 speed Impy
    Vehicle

Yea not sure if I want all forged, just looking for a mild street motor, something to have fun and make a little more power than stock, 400-450 would really wake that beast up, esp. with the 6 speed.

Mike

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

Yea not sure if I want all forged, just looking for a mild street motor, something to have fun and make a little more power than stock, 400-450 would really wake that beast up, esp. with the 6 speed.

Mike
    With that being your goal. I would stay LT-1. if you looking the sell section of the form, or Facebook you may find a good platform to build from for price of machine work or less the get a top end from LE.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Lurker

Status
    Name
    6 speed Impy
    Vehicle

I had a real nice platform lined up, 30k mile Vette LT-1, complete, alloy heads, 4 bolt main, $500, got sold out from under me

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

That deal fell through, he sold it to someone else for more money, yea my thoughts exactly. We had a deal, thought most car guys honor that, guess not. So back to square one.

Mike
    Ridiculous

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Lurker

Status
    Name
    6 speed Impy
    Vehicle

I took about a week to get him the money, work, our schedules and all, by the time I said hey I got the bucks lets get together, he had a higher offer and took it.

I was kinda excited, 4 bolt main, alloy heads, was gonna take the heads off, send to LE, have him do a cam, Clear image full length headers, full paint in the engine comp, some fresh gaskets. Only had 30k miles so figured all internals should be good, maybe a fresh oil pump, but not so much.

And I had someone lined up for my old motor, so could of made a little money to offset the cost.

Mike
    Last edited by 6 speed impy; 12-22-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast