Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lurker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 68LT1 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I don't have a set of heads to send Lloyd though. Would have to buy a set to send him.
    Generally people send their stock LT1 AL heads to Lloyd. This process can be done while you are having block machined and built for the 383

You would also send your intake so it can be port matched to the heads he does

Of course buying used GM AL heads is a option to send
    96 BBB 383/T56

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

I'll chime in here on some stuff.

Lloyd and AI both do good jobs with the LT1 OEM heads. I won't say a single bad thing about either. But to properly feed a 383 on the top end, you're going to want to move to a larger runner head because the OEM castings become a choke point higher in the power band. Yes, moving to an aftermarket large runner AFR (220, 227) or Trick Flow head will require the LT4 intake, but that's a cost of playing the game at that point. If you're trying to maximize the potential in the added displacement don't sell your build short by sticking with OEM castings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
    I'll chime in here on some stuff.

Lloyd and AI both do good jobs with the LT1 OEM heads. I won't say a single bad thing about either. But to properly feed a 383 on the top end, you're going to want to move to a larger runner head because the OEM castings become a choke point higher in the power band. Yes, moving to an aftermarket large runner AFR (220, 227) or Trick Flow head will require the LT4 intake, but that's a cost of playing the game at that point. If you're trying to maximize the potential in the added displacement don't sell your build short by sticking with OEM castings.
    trickflow 23 degree require lt4 intake, 21 degree do not. but you are very correct. @Ltconvert car was choking with the le2 heads, car is an animal now with LE ported trickflows

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    trickflow 23 degree require lt4 intake, 21 degree do not. but you are very correct. @Ltconvert car was choking with the le2 heads, car is an animal now with LE ported trickflows

Huh...Didn't know that about the 21° heads. Nice.

On Call911's Procharged setup, we picked up something like 115 RWHP moving from AFR 195's (comparable to a ported stock casting) to AFR 220 RR's, all on the top end.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbird For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joe
    Vehicle
    68 Camaro

Machine shop says I shouldn't go above 10:1 compression with aluminum heads. I thought LT1's were good for a little higher compression

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Machine shop says I shouldn't go above 10:1 compression with aluminum heads. I thought LT1's were good for a little higher compression
    Lots of guys running 11-12:1. Might want to speak to your machine shop about their knowledge of the Gen II vs Gen I SBC stuff.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbird For This Post:

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    JB
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28 1996 Camaro SS

I'll have to disagree with the machine shop. I have LE Trickflow 21 degree heads with a 12.2:1 compression on 93 non-ethanol pump gas. I can't bad-mouth AI because I've never used them but I will vouch for Lloyd. He's a real professional!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Same as everybody else...350 small block, double hump heads, 3/4 cam

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cathead For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

I would find a new machine shop. I run 11.0:1 on stock bottom end with Lloyd Elliott LE2 heads and cam.

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Stock LT1 engine with aluminum heads static CR is 10.4:1. Stock LT4 engine with aluminum heads is 10.8:1. My 381ci w/ LT4 heads is just a bit under 11:1.

Dynamic CR is more important than static CR in determining octane requirement.

What’s the elevation where you live? Higher you go, the more CR your engine can handle.
    Last edited by Injuneer; 12-12-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joe
    Vehicle
    68 Camaro

I will have to talk to him again. I recall he mentioned he only worked on one LT1 before

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast