Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Default Buying a car out of state

I am possibly debating making a jump into something a bit nicer/luxurious/fast as a daily. I work my ass off and want something nice when I'm not at work. Most of the cars I'm looking at local are super super stiff on price and won't move more than a few hundred l. I have found a few that are right at what I want to spend, but one is in North Carolina and another in Michigan.

Gents, who here has bought a car out of state, any tips etc on doing it, things I should know, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SSlowBoat; 11-15-2017 at 04:38 AM.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Best advice is be prepared to walk away.

I looked a couple trucks in PA years back and thankfully I had a friend who shook me out of the "I drove all the way here, and it is kinda what I want" mindset. Other than that, I don't remember anything out of the ordinary sale wise. Granted that is only trucks purchased from NY.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Get every bit of info you can prior to going to look at it. Be extremely specific when asking questions. Document every person you talk to about the car (if at a dealership). Be prepared to walk if something isn't as you thought it was, do not settle because you made the trip. Be prepared to cough up some kind of deposit to hold the vehicle, especially if it's at a dealership. You do NOT want to make a long trip only to find out they sold the vehicle while you were traveling.

And don't worry about having the title notarized. That's a PA only thing for in-state title transfers. Out of state titles don't require it, same as if you sold a PA titled vehicle to an out of state resident (last I checked at least).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fastbird For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Be prepared to walk away, is great advice from above...

When I sold the red mustang to my now friend Fred... he was inOhio.

He actually made an appointment for me to take it to a local ford dealer and have the car gone over.

Cost him about 1hr labor and they called him back b4 I left after going over the car with a full report.

One of the smartest used car over state lines moves Ive ever seen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures

If the deal is to good then they are hiding something.

Ive never bought a car local (can never find any) and have spent MANY hours driving just to head back home. Its not fun but I have drove on a few 300-600 mile trips and get there and leave with a empty trailer.

Dont take anyones word about how great the vehicle is, THERE SELLING IT! of course its perfect.

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!!!!
    If they wont send them then wait for the next car to pop up, the NUMBER ONE mistake ive made (more than once) is being in a hurry.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fullforce For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Thank you guys for your input. Due to my personal circumstances, i stopped looking at CTS-V2's due to the much higher cost of ownership, and it seems like many are trying to be hidden with the classic blower snout issue.

I ended up kind of tripping on a 09 Pontiac G8 GXP 1 of 15 in liquid red while perusing a local dealers used inventory for something else i may like that is more practical than a V2. I have already been approved for the financing, and have an appointment saturday morning to go finalize the small details/take it for a ride. 41k miles, 1 owner, car looks as it has been meticulously maintained. automatic wasnt my first choice, but its more practical
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

You will LOVE that car!!!!! Ive wanted one for a while now just cant justify it yet! And what a color
    You cant beat a Ls3

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fullforce For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    Thank you guys for your input. Due to my personal circumstances, i stopped looking at CTS-V2's due to the much higher cost of ownership, and it seems like many are trying to be hidden with the classic blower snout issue.

I ended up kind of tripping on a 09 Pontiac G8 GXP 1 of 15 in liquid red while perusing a local dealers used inventory for something else i may like that is more practical than a V2. I have already been approved for the financing, and have an appointment saturday morning to go finalize the small details/take it for a ride. 41k miles, 1 owner, car looks as it has been meticulously maintained. automatic wasnt my first choice, but its more practical
    Awesome.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post

Soooo, should I lock this one up???

LTXtexh.com is my drug...

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    Soooo, should I lock this one up???

LTXtexh.com is my drug...
    You can, got rid of the g8 gxp

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392