Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Harry the Yank
    Vehicle
    1955 Chevy

Default What are my fuel pump choices?

Hi, First post. I have a new LT1 gen 5/8L90e combo sitting in my shop right next to my '55 Chevy. First issue, fuel pump. My tank is only about 8-9 inches deep and the stock GM19303293 pump is about 16". I'm not opposed to modifying it but I have only seen photos so I don't know if it's possible to cut it down to my requirements. I'd like to keep the stock pulse modulated return-less system. What other pumps are there that will work? New stuff is on the market all the time. I have solved the oil pan problem with a Moroso oil pan, the p/s pump problem with a Drive Junky serpentine belt system and the motor mounts are from Dirty Dingo. More problems will arise I'm sure but it will be worth it to have GM's latest in the spot occupied by Chevrolet's first V8. Thanks.
    '55 Chevy w/LT1 gen 5 and 8L90e, Ford 9". Just starting to put the puzzle back together.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by white '55 View Post
    Hi, First post. I have a new LT1 gen 5/8L90e combo sitting in my shop right next to my '55 Chevy. First issue, fuel pump. My tank is only about 8-9 inches deep and the stock GM19303293 pump is about 16". I'm not opposed to modifying it but I have only seen photos so I don't know if it's possible to cut it down to my requirements. I'd like to keep the stock pulse modulated return-less system. What other pumps are there that will work? New stuff is on the market all the time. I have solved the oil pan problem with a Moroso oil pan, the p/s pump problem with a Drive Junky serpentine belt system and the motor mounts are from Dirty Dingo. More problems will arise I'm sure but it will be worth it to have GM's latest in the spot occupied by Chevrolet's first V8. Thanks.
    I would contact aeromotive or something to see what they offer for that type of set up. I know cobras had pwm pumps, but I'm not sure if they operate at the pressure needed for a gen 5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Harry the Yank
    Vehicle
    1955 Chevy

Yes, I am familiar with the Cobra double pumps but they only put out about 38# as I remember. And it would be nice to use the Chevy fuel pump driver too. Thanks, I'll keep researching.
    '55 Chevy w/LT1 gen 5 and 8L90e, Ford 9". Just starting to put the puzzle back together.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

I'm going through the nightmare with the PWM system in a friends cobra after doing a Fore return style dual pump set up.

Here's an article from hot rod on retrofitting a newer lt1 fuel system keeping the PWM in place.
    http://www.hotrod.com/articles/under...stem-swapping/
    Last edited by Sahara54; 09-24-2017 at 02:41 AM.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sahara54 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Harry the Yank
    Vehicle
    1955 Chevy

Thank you, That info was quite good and I'll look up that pump tonight.