Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Brian Rota
    Vehicle
    1995 firebird

Default Could this be a bad ICM?

Hello I have a 1995 Firebird with LT1.
    A few weeks ago I was driving my car got stuck in some rain (which I didnt do often). The car started to run a little funny.
    Next day it cut out when I was driving it after a few minutes I was able to restart it.
    Doing some research it sounded like the opti maybe got wet. So I replaced the opti the seals and water pump.
    I drove it and when it was warmed up it started to cut out when I stepped on it.
    it also seems to have trouble going over 3000 rpm when the issue is happening even when rev it.
    Fuel pressure looked good.
    Scanned with Scan9495 no codes other than maybe some from running with sensors unplugged but clear and have not come back.
    Not sure what to look for in the app besides that.

The ICM looks old maybe original. Tonight I put new paste and put two washers behind it to space it a bit. I did have it tested
    Tonight it seemed to run better longer but then the issue appeared again.
    See the video it starts at about 11 seconds my foot is almost to the floor.

Last edited by brota; 09-13-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by brota View Post
    Hello I have a 1995 Firebird with LT1.
    A few weeks ago I was driving my car got stuck in some rain (which I didnt do often). The car started to run a little funny.
    Next day it cut out when I was driving it after a few minutes I was able to restart it.
    Doing some research it sounded like the opti maybe got wet. So I replaced the opti the seals and water pump.
    I drove it and when it was warmed up it started to cut out when I stepped on it.
    it also seems to have trouble going over 3000 rpm when the issue is happening even when rev it.
    Fuel pressure looked good.
    Scanned with Scan9495 no codes other than maybe some from running with sensors unplugged but clear and have not come back.
    Not sure what to look for in the app besides that.

The ICM looks old maybe original. Tonight I put new paste and put two washers behind it to space it a bit. I did have it tested
    Tonight it seemed to run better longer but then the issue appeared again.
    See the video it starts at about 11 seconds my foot is almost to the floor.

opti, what brand did you put on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Did you check the Opti harness connector for corrosion or broken pins?
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Brian Rota
    Vehicle
    1995 firebird

Carquest (advanced auto)
    This seems to be the same problem it had before I changed it.
    I put a new connector cable
    I put a new ICM in and it is still not running right.
    I ran a data log with eehack but I do not know what I am looking for.

Does the opti throw a code?
    Last edited by brota; 09-12-2017 at 08:26 PM.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

The Opti has two parts. The optical cam position sensor will set two codes - DTC 16, and DTC 36. When 16 is active the PCM shuts down the fuel system. 16 does not turn on the SES light. In theory, when 36 sets the engine will still run. But we have found problems that cause erratic idle surges and rough running that don't set a code. The MSD Opti's built over the pst couple years are real dogs in this respect. Most of them have nasty problems w/ the high resolution cam position signal.

The high voltage section - cap and rotor - does not set any codes. You can have cross-firing, carbon tracking, burned contacts and no codes.

Not familiar with the Carquest Opti - The cheap Chinese rip-offs can be defective right out of the box, as can the MSD's.

I help people with interpreting data logs, but the only eeHack log I've been sent is so unwieldy and over-complicated that I can't spend that much time reformatting it. Something from Scan9495 is much more manageable. Free download, and the author is a member here.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Brian Rota
    Vehicle
    1995 firebird

I did also do a scan9495 too but I get an index error when I try to open it within the program but I can open it in excel.
    I have attached both logs

I have no codes.

Car Quest is Advanced auto
    Attached Files Attached Files

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

You do realize you posted this in a forum marked "Talk about any engine that is not an LTX!". May explain why not many responses.

Also note, appears you copied and pasted from another site. In my display, you ended up with dark gray text on a black screen.... very hard (but not completely impossible) to read. You can change the color to light gray or white with embedded tags.

I'll download the Scan9495 file.

In the meantime, I'll ask the author of Scan9495 @GaryDoug to take a look at your "index error" issue.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

File is not usable. Column headers are missing, not all data is recorded, and a whole bunch of columns with just 0 or 1 . Also may have only been recording the transmission.

Hopefully GaryDoug can help you out on using Scan9495.
    Last edited by Injuneer; 09-13-2017 at 12:49 PM.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Brian Rota
    Vehicle
    1995 firebird

Well that makes sense I will try to move it or repost it.
    The eehack data has columns if you open with excel

Thank you repost here http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...356#post482356
    Last edited by brota; 09-13-2017 at 01:24 PM.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I know eeHack has columns.... as I tried to explain in post #5, the eeHack report is very difficult to manage. Takes an unreasonable amount of setup to hide all the unused columns (e.g. a column for every possible OBD-2 4-digit trouble code). I don't have the time to spend setting it up. I have Scan9495 formatting down to a very quick and easy sequence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast