Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    If your 11" wide wheels have the typical offsets (45-50mm) the backspace is almost 8" and you might not even be able to get the wheel all the way on the hub without it hitting something on the chassis or suspension. The backspace on a factory SS wheel is only about 5" (8.5" wide, +6mm offset). In that case, position the outer edge of the wheel where you want it, with respect to the outer edge of the fender, and measure the distance from the back or the wheel hub flange to the axle hub flange.

What are the exact sizes of your Camaro wheels - width and offset? Do you want the outer edge of the Camaro wheel/tire to sit exactly where the outer edge of the factory SS wheel/tire sits, or do you want to move it outwards toward the edge of the fender? If so, how much move outwards.... e.g. 1/4", 1/2" etc.?

If you can give me the Camaro wheel dimensions and the location of the outer edge of the tire, relative to the stock SS wheel, I can calculate the thickness of the spacer/adapter, at least close enough that you could verify it by measuring between the hub flanges as described above.
    Damn... thank u brotha... ill check it all out this weekend and see if I have the wheel info. For now all I know is they are the OEwheel llc c5 deep dish staggard. Fronts are 17×9 & rears are 18x11.5

Im not only an LTXtech member... Im also the Owner.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Just keep in mind that wheel spacers are not safe. I have seen them break and I believe the NHRA has disallowed them. I know the local track will not let you make a pass with spacers installed. your track may be different.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to superspirit For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by superspirit View Post
    Just keep in mind that wheel spacers are not safe. I have seen them break and I believe the NHRA has disallowed them. I know the local track will not let you make a pass with spacers installed. your track may be different.
    Ive been using spacers for a long time... on everythimg from fbodies to jeeps, hell even the impala has some on it.

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris P. Bacon
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

For the way Popo uses his cars, I don't think spacers will be an issue. If he was out road racing or trying to launch it at the strip the that big of a spacer would be a little sketchy, but as long as they're hub centric i'd bet he won't have any problems with normal driving. I ran my car at Grattan with 15mm on my rears and they didn't have any issue with it. Some ARP studs would worth the peace of mind for how cheap they are.

'94 Formula 6spd
    If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Formula218 For This Post:

OK, I just felt it needed to be mentioned. I use to have a video of a spacer breaking mid track, It was quite ugly! I lost the link when my puter crashed, so I cant post it.
    I know Popo does run it hard at the shootout, so I felt like I should say something. good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to superspirit For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by superspirit View Post
    NHRA 2017 General Regulations - Section 20, page 31 - 5:2 WHEELS:

Wheel spacer permitted. Spacer to be either hub-centric or lug-centric and must fit with minimal clearance to retain concentricity. The wheel spacer must not reduce minimum permitted thread engagement below the limits established by fastener diameter. (see example as stated above.) No stacking of wheel spacers allowed.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

That said, I would be VERY careful regarding the source of the adapters. There are shops out there that make high quality, billet 6061 T6 aluminum adapters. There are shops that sell cheap Chinese junk. Look for references, particularly for shops that focus on activities like off-roading, rock climbing, etc.. Used to deal with a shop called Skulte Designs, but he is no longer in business.

I would recommend upgrading the stock lugs to a quality-sourced, high strength steel lug. Ensure that the secondary lugs on the adapter are high strength.

If you are going hub-centric, the Impala SS wheel is 78.3mm, according to this source:

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/chevrolet/impala/1996/

I have seen a table from an adapter manufacturer that shows it as 78.1mm.

For hub-centric, Larry will also have to check the hub hole diameter on the repro C5 wheels. Things get complicated because of the differing front and rear hub diameters on the 93-96 F-Bodies. Typically, the 93-96 hub holes were made large enough to fit over the larger rear hubs, making the front wheel fitment lug-centric. 97 and up, the rear axle hubs were reduced in size to match the front hubs. Who knows what diameter the aftermarket wheels use? Gotta measure.

For the install, a quality torque wrench should be used, following the adapter manufacturer's recommendations, star pattern, multiple passes, yada yada.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

and change wheel studs to arp, along with the adapter studs should have arp studs as well, especially anything over 1.5" thick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Lol... it already has the ARP studs swapped in since I have small spacers on it now.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Im no stranger to spacers... just tryin to figure out how to get the right ones.

Gonna put this on hold till I can get the car level as its leaning a bit to the front right, raising the left rear. Had an alignment done, and that made it a bit better. Hoping the left rear lowering spring just needs some more settle time. Will also be checking all the other springs and mounts to make sure nothing shifter or broke.

Our cherokee had 3" spacers... the 95 camaro had 2" spacers on the rear and the camaro and impala have 1/4" spacers with extended arp studs as well...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast