Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Zac
    Vehicle
    Camaro Z28

Default Battery Relocation

Decided to move my battery to the spare tire compartment just to free up some space up front and move some weight to the back. I was about to order the BMR battery tray but $120 just seems like a lot... any other options out there for f-bodys? Or has anyone made one? Did some Internet searching but didn't find much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    JB
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28 1996 Camaro SS

There's not a lot of room in the actual spare tire compartment. I stuck mine in the trunk in a sealed and vented box (per sanctioning rules). If you do move your battery to the rear, get yourself a handful of ground straps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Same as everybody else...350 small block, double hump heads, 3/4 cam

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cathead For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

^ I did the same!
    94 Z28 - 396 - TH400 - 9in - SLOW

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Vented box is essential. And the Optima AGM batteries need to be vented outside the vehicle, contrary to popular thinking. Clearly stated in the Optima user guide. They are rated as "non-spillable", allowing them to be mounted in any position.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

shit I still rock my 5 year old fleet farm special in the racecar hahahah
    94 Z28 - 396 - TH400 - 9in - SLOW

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Zac
    Vehicle
    Camaro Z28

I thought about a box but most I looked at were too big for the spare tire compartment... guess I'll have to consider putting it somewhere else. And thats good to know about the optima as thats actually what im running. Thanks for the advice guys!

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

About 10 years ago my neighbor had a brand new Infinity Q50, or whatever the top of the line luxury sedan was. He drove home from work, parked it in his attached garage and went inside. About 15 minutes later he heard an explosion. The Infinity's battery had gassed (hydrogen) due to over-charging and caused the explosion. The car caught on fire, which also did damage to the garage. Fortunately two guys in a nearby house were volunteer firemen and got there in a matter of a couple minutes and minimized the damage. Last I saw of the Q-ship it was on a flatbed, leaving the neighborhood, never to return again.

Here's a picture of a non-spillable battery hung under the rear of a 4th Gen. Simplifies the master cut-off switch (which is required by NHRA if you relocate the battery) installation.... no holes to drill.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Zac
    Vehicle
    Camaro Z28

Wow, that's pretty unfortunate... sounds like a vented battery is the safe bet. I've witnessed a battery fire on a large tractor, not exactly sure what happened, but it was not pretty. I've actually never seen a battery mounted like that, that's a really nice setup though. That's racecar stuff right there!