Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

No real updates. Did make it last Wed but too many problems. Had a bad plug wire on #6, how that happens when it worked when you took the motor out is just frustrating at times.

It will be a week from this Wed before I get another chance. As the old saying goes, if it works you're a genius and if it doesn't then your an idiot. I'm still an idiot for now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

hang in there, you will be running 7's in no time

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

Great thread and very inspirational wish you the best of luck of hitting the sevens.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

Will be at the shootout this year. Car is far from completed but it will run 5 second 1/8 miles. It will be another year to shake it out but it is making progress each time out.

So the shootout will be more test and tune but still could be more than respectable. Changes in the car for the Shootout are three suspension changes and still tuning the motor. Needs a gear change as not enough gear right now, have a new set of heads I designed from bare AFR castings and other changes that will make big differences for next year. The gear being wrong is me forgetting this is more like how to make a dump truck fast than a race car.

I'm still positive about meeting the ET goal without compromising the car as it is.

Look forward to seeing everyone, having some fun and leaving in one piece so I can go to Atlanta the following weekend for the 4000 pound scaled Heavy Weight Shootout.

I could take 500 pounds out of my car and still be over 4000 pounds. I could pick up a few tenths if I were allowed to run my car by remote control, I don't see anything in the rules that says I can't.
    Last edited by Jeff Green; 10-21-2017 at 05:20 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

I don't post a lot but for me to put anything in the "For Sale" section I have to have 25 posts and this one will be 25.

Please take a look what I have for sale as lots of good stuff half price. I could bring anything you want to Bowling Green with me if you are going to be there.

Thanks!!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Green View Post
    I don't post a lot but for me to put anything in the "For Sale" section I have to have 25 posts and this one will be 25.

Please take a look what I have for sale as lots of good stuff half price. I could bring anything you want to Bowling Green with me if you are going to be there.

Thanks!!
    Looking to see what you have for sell you can pm me. Again very interested in your transmission.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

It's been awhile since the last update so here is where it's at.

Good:
    1. Very close to having the motor finally happy. Had a bad plug wire at Atlanta and found a problem with the blow off valves. Both easy fixes but way down on power. Fixed the blow off valves after the first pass and it blew the tubes off the engine about 60 foot out on the next pass, because it leaned the engine way out. I guessed how much extra fuel the extra boost would need and I guessed way low. Looked nasty but put them back on at the end of the track and drove it back to the trailer with no engine damage.
    2. Fixed the tranny as no issues for some time now.
    3. Car went perfectly straight on all launches from Aug on.
    4. The piston skirts, bearings both mains and rods looked like new. No cylinder was more than 5% leak down. I almost didn't take it apart for the winter after seeing the leak down numbers. But I wanted to put the new heads on so maybe look at the rest of it apart.
    5. I left the most important one off. I'm not burning pistons anymore!! Have not hurt a piston during the last three months and before that I couldn't go 330 feet without taking out a piston.

Bad: You think all is good until you take stuff apart.
    1. Bent the rear end a good 1/8" on both sides, had no idea anything was wrong. That was a Moser fab M9 so no thin tubing and only launching at 60% power, only 1.3 sixty foots. I took it apart because I was still running 1/2 studs and was concerned about launching too hard on that small of stud. What I can say is if you do it right you can bend a Moser M9 fab 9" on 1/2" studs. You would have never made me believe you could do that with a 1/2" stud. Again it's the weight, trying to move 4600 pounds from a dead stop, the slicks hooked and went forward before the car would go forward. The only reason I took it apart was to change to 5/8 studs because I thought I was living dangerously on the 1/2". Pulled the rear end out and welding a brace across it. Time will tell if that's enough or not.
    2. Changed the rear gear to be closer to where it needs to be for the MPH it should be at. If I'm wrong then it will need the 3:50 back in.
    3. Broke one of the ears on the oil pump shaft. Again, no idea that had happened and bet one of the backfires while tuning the engine did it.
    4. Really nothing else. Still working on the tune to be right but it was getting close.

Other changes:
    1. Different hydr lifters to take more spring pressure and follow a more aggressive cam profile
    2. New heads that should flow a lot better. My own design for what my motor needs.
    3. Tighten up the convertor another 500 RPM's, as you make more power you have to keep tightening it to keep the same stall
    Lots of clean up!!

Spring can't come soon enough!! just need some luck
    Last edited by Jeff Green; 12-20-2017 at 05:32 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Green For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Steven Stavenger
    Vehicle
    1997 z/28

nice!

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Jeff Green
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala SS

]Fun Facts
    Below is from Wallace racing calculators and fairly close to real world results. First one is my Impala at 1700HP and the ET from that. Next one is the same 1700HP but in a 2800 Camaro. My Impala will not clear the 8’s at 1700HP but the Camaro will run 6’s with the same power as mine in the 8's. Truth is my Impala will never run that ET at only 166MPH as the weight is more of a factor than the calculator realizes.
    The last one is the HP I was making years ago to move my 4580 pound Impala, at the time, 155 MPH. That was with a 4L60E and a 10 bolt rear end. Put that same stuff in a 2800 Camaro and you’re deep into the 7’s.

It can be fun looking at the real world possibilities with an LT engine and even if you used all the stuff everyone gets rid of. A mid to low 6 second car with an LT engine in it is not out of the question.

That's approaching Pro Mod times of just 10 years ago when a 6.40 ET would get you in the top 16. But this is with a SB LT Chevy even on unleaded gas.

Weight is as the car sits on the line: driver and gas in it.
    The answers below will be for at sea level and standard pressure/temperature.
    (no weather correction).
    Calculate ET and MPH from HP and Weight
    Weight HP

Calculate
    Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 4610 pounds and HP of 1700 is 8.12 seconds and MPH of 166.37 MPH.

(no weather correction).
    Weight HP

Calculate
    Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 2800 pounds and HP of 1700 is 6.88 seconds and MPH of 196.45 MPH

(no weather correction).
    Weight HP

Calculate
    Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 2800 pounds and HP of 1350 is 7.43 seconds and MPH of 181.92 MPH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff Green; 03-29-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

Fun I would agree. The weight makes such a large difference in e.t.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast