Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tom Glennon
    Vehicle
    87 Iroc Camaro

Then it was time for primer. I sprayed this in my garage. I got this done right before I got married. So it was nice to get it really straight before I took off. It took a lot of time to get the panels straight. The lower doors were a mess, the body lines needed to get re-created from excessive door dings, and carelessness. But overall I was pretty happy with how the primer came out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 87IROCLT1 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tom Glennon
    Vehicle
    87 Iroc Camaro

So after three coats of primer, and lots of wet sanding. IT WAS TIME FOR PAINT!

My dad has painted cars occasionally in his garage and we set up his garage like a paint booth, he has a big exhaust fan in the ceiling and we drop plastic from the ceiling around the work area. I borrowed a trailer from a friend to get it to my dads for the big weekend.

I decided on base coat clear coat, Lemans Blue Metallic from 2004 corvettes. Its a great color that has tons of pop.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 87IROCLT1 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tom Glennon
    Vehicle
    87 Iroc Camaro

and more-

For anyone wondering I used the Standox System, it laid on great, the recommended nozzle was a little small for the clear and I had to really go slow or it would go on dry, and thats not fun. But all things said and done this was the first car I ever sprayed myself, and I am beyond thrilled with the results.

A few days after paint Dad and I wetsanded the clear and buffed it out with Meguires 105 and polished with 205 using my HF DA polisher.

I started assembling the car as fast as possible, because somewhere in the middle of the car, getting married and moving my wife into the house we found out she was pregnant, and that meant i had a whole bunch of stuff to finish in the house to get ready for baby. So the car got put together, new wheels, body panels on, and packed into the corner of the garage for the winter. These are some of the last pictures of her before I put her away.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 87IROCLT1 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tom Glennon
    Vehicle
    87 Iroc Camaro

and more-

For anyone wondering I used the Standox System, it laid on great, the recommended nozzle was a little small for the clear and I had to really go slow or it would go on dry, and thats not fun. But all things said and done this was the first car I ever sprayed myself, and I am beyond thrilled with the results.

A few days after paint Dad and I wetsanded the clear and buffed it out with Meguires 105 and polished with 205 using my HF DA polisher.

I started assembling the car as fast as possible, because somewhere in the middle of the car, getting married and moving my wife into the house we found out she was pregnant, and that meant i had a whole bunch of stuff to finish in the house to get ready for baby. So the car got put together, new wheels, body panels on, and packed into the corner of the garage for the winter. These are some of the last pictures of her before I put her away.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 87IROCLT1 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tom Glennon
    Vehicle
    87 Iroc Camaro

And after my son was born I got to slowly start finishing her. Her first trip out of the garage was the 3rd of July, it was a great (bumpy, jerky, clunky, etc) ride. But I was grinning ear to ear. Once that first shakedown was done, I aligned the car in my garage, had to reprogram the PCM for the fans to work and change some parameters based on the engine now running a t56 instead of an auto.

These are some of the pictures from this past weekend after a bath.

I know there are tons of parts I am missing from this build but the details will show in the pictures. I will keep adding things as I remember them.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 87IROCLT1 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tom Glennon
    Vehicle
    87 Iroc Camaro

and some interior shots

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 87IROCLT1 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tom Glennon
    Vehicle
    87 Iroc Camaro

a few months ago i found someone on a local forum that is trying to get into automotive photography and shot my car one morning

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 87IROCLT1 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tom Glennon
    Vehicle
    87 Iroc Camaro

and just for kicks- a site that allows you to put your car on a magazine cover-

http://www.myowncover.com/

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 87IROCLT1 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tommy N.
    Vehicle
    Silver 1996 Camaro Z28, Green 1996 Camaro Z28

I've always wanted a 82-92 Camaro I looked at a few before I got my 96 don't regret it but I will get a iroc one day. Great write up and beautiful color never been a fan of blue but that's starting to change more and more.
    96 Camaro Z28 Silver Mostly Stock, Full Exhaust
    96 Camaro Z28 Green Big Cam, Quick Performance 9 Inch Rear End, Full Exhuast

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 96z28SideSwype For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

What an excellent write up... thanku for sharing and the car looks amazing!

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

20. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast