Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 96z28SideSwype View Post
    I've had people call and say that same thing and I have even talked to the guys that build the optis and they have never seen them do that, so honestly if the opti caused that I have no idea what it could of been since the insides is mainly the optic sensor, I always tell the guys that call to double check all the connectors and vacuum lines, because of how much crap has to be removed to replace them. @Tubby Z28
    Using Scan9495, I was able to find single data records with spurious, impossible RPM readings...... idling at less than 1,000 RPM, all of a sudden a single frame of date with a 2,000 or 3,000 RPM reading, and the PCM reacted by increasing the IAC counts, causing a sudden surge in RPM. I found it in Tubby's log, and two others on CamaroZ28.com. The RPM signal comes from the optical cam position sensor module.

In my opinion, it is a real problem.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tommy N.
    Vehicle
    Silver 1996 Camaro Z28, Green 1996 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Using Scan9495, I was able to find single data records with spurious, impossible RPM readings...... idling at less than 1,000 RPM, all of a sudden a single frame of date with a 2,000 or 3,000 RPM reading, and the PCM reacted by increasing the IAC counts, causing a sudden surge in RPM. I found it in Tubby's log, and two others on CamaroZ28.com. The RPM signal comes from the optical cam position sensor module.

Oh wow ok I'll mention that to one of the guys that I'm cool with see what he says and see what optic sensor we use. What sensor do you think works the best it was the Mitsubishi one right?
    96 Camaro Z28 Silver Mostly Stock, Full Exhaust
    96 Camaro Z28 Green Big Cam, Quick Performance 9 Inch Rear End, Full Exhuast

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I have no idea what is available these days. I use a stock, vented Opti that I bought NIB in 1999 when we were building the stroker, and converting to the vented Opti. I only use the optical module to feed my MoTeC M48Pro ECU/IEX 8-channel ignition driver/8-LS1 coils. So no high voltage in my AC Delco Opti. 16 years and counting. The engine has a 7,200 RPM limit, but due to a missed shift (or two) the data log in the MoTeC showed the engine hit 8,000 RPM, no problem for the Opti. Also familiar with a 1997 30th SS convertible, 1,125 HP S/C LT1, same MoTeC setup, that ran the original 1997 Opti, and had a redline even higher than mine. Optical module worked flawlessly in both cases.

Looking back, the data from Tubby was a DataMaster file (not Scan9495). I converted it to a .csv file, so I could manipulate it in Excel. I may still have the Excel file. If I find it, I'll be happy to provide it to MSD. Date was mid-2014 on the logs.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Lurker

Status

96z..

First thanks for stepping in as a vendor who did "make" a aftermarket Opti for what may be considered GM's red headed step child of a SBC v8

While my luck with your product was not good, whole opti unit, I do feel your C&R is superior to a sock replacement one. I purchased my MSD opti several years ago when they first came out through a group purchase on a Vette forum. It had a high RPM stumble right out of the box. After I replaced just about every other ignition part, since my opti was new, with no success in resolving the high RPM stumble I just put back on my original GM (AC Delco) opti which has been back on the car now for several years. It does have your C&R now.

I sent in my MSD for the $100 rebuild and sold it so it was a net $ loss for me.

For your blemish ebay C&R's I would think $75 would be a good cost

The Mitsubishi sensor in the original AC Delcos and the Delphi's when they were available are regarded as "the only" sensor to use.
    96 BBB 383/T56

Caps with no rotors, I wouldnt pay more than $50 for a blem. I am running an MSD cap and rotor now and have no complaints.
    I would go 24x before replacing the opti at this point.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tommy N.
    Vehicle

I have no idea what is available these days. I use a stock, vented Opti that I bought NIB in 1999 when we were building the stroker, and converting to the vented Opti. I only use the optical module to feed my MoTeC M48Pro ECU/IEX 8-channel ignition driver/8-LS1 coils. So no high voltage in my AC Delco Opti. 16 years and counting. The engine has a 7,200 RPM limit, but due to a missed shift (or two) the data log in the MoTeC showed the engine hit 8,000 RPM, no problem for the Opti. Also familiar with a 1997 30th SS convertible, 1,125 HP S/C LT1, same MoTeC setup, that ran the original 1997 Opti, and had a redline even higher than mine. Optical module worked flawlessly in both cases.

Looking back, the data from Tubby was a DataMaster file (not Scan9495). I converted it to a .csv file, so I could manipulate it in Excel. I may still have the Excel file. If I find it, I'll be happy to provide it to MSD. Date was mid-2014 on the logs.
    If you do have that file I can give it to the guys in the Focus Facotry as they build the optis.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tommy N.
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by BALLSS View Post
    96z..

First thanks for stepping in as a vendor who did "make" a aftermarket Opti for what may be considered GM's red headed step child of a SBC v8

While my luck with your product was not good, whole opti unit, I do feel your C&R is superior to a sock replacement one. I purchased my MSD opti several years ago when they first came out through a group purchase on a Vette forum. It had a high RPM stumble right out of the box. After I replaced just about every other ignition part, since my opti was new, with no success in resolving the high RPM stumble I just put back on my original GM (AC Delco) opti which has been back on the car now for several years. It does have your C&R now.

I sent in my MSD for the $100 rebuild and sold it so it was a net $ loss for me.

For your blemish ebay C&R's I would think $75 would be a good cost

The Mitsubishi sensor in the original AC Delcos and the Delphi's when they were available are regarded as "the only" sensor to use.
    While MSD isn't a sponsor on this site as they don't do stuff like that now even more now that Holley owns us, I;m just trying to get us a good price on something that everyone recommends I know not alot of people have had good luck with MSD optis, Ive had one fail on me after I started working here and I had been testing a prototype at the time when it did fail because they were trying new sensors.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 96z28SideSwype For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

I forgot i sent you the logs. It only did it once some heat got into the module. Put a stock delco on it with 180k miles and had less issues

The new delcos no longer come with a mitsubishi, but they still have a warranty. I dont think the elusive mitsubishi sensor was all thats gold, considering i have a summit opti that has a no name sensor and works fine. There obviously has to be somewhat of a quality difference in sensors, but i think manufacturing has alot to do with it
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status

I've been rocking an MSD cap/rotor for years on a GM base, very happy with it. I'd jump on this deal if I didn't already have a spare lying in a box somewhere.
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by 96z28SideSwype View Post
    Ok quick update it is just a cap no rotor. so I think 80 is a little much for just a cap.
    If you have any caps with internal damage that are otherwise going to the trash bin, we'd love to have them for trophies. If it wasn't for the ones you sent me last year, I would have had to get some 3d printed. They are slowly going away and it's getting harder to get get them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast