Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Thread: No start

Lurker

Status
    Name
    6 speed Impy
    Vehicle
    1991 Z-28, 355, HSR, M6--2005 CTS-V (SOLD)--1994 Impala SS 6 Speed Swap--Have all blocks covered.

Default No start

Well last Friday, drove car to work, been driving it on and off for a while. Get in it in the afternoon and no start. Cranks but no buzz for the fuel pump. Do some looking, fuses seem ok, relay ok, then notice the fuel gage is pegged past full, and the parking lights will not go out, no key on, switch off, lights on constant. Only way to kill them is disconnect battery.

Car has a Viper alarm installed, bro had it done before I got it, so am thinking maybe something is up with that. Call Viper, they say their kill start system is just that, no cranking at all, does not affect fuel pump.

So maybe I have a bad pump, ok.

Any ideas on the lights. I am pretty much stumped about that, and the gage being pegged.

Maybe time for another V, hate unreliability, luckily it's only 40 miles home and have some very good friends to drag his trailer down and pick it up.

Mike

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Does the pump prime for 2 seconds when you turn the key to "run" (not "start")? It's normal to shut down after 2 seconds, and will not restart until the PCM detects the cam position signals from the Opti. Scan for codes.

If the pump does not prime at all, try powering it up with the fuel pump test connector near the PCM (at least that's where it is on an F-Body). If still not powering up, check the relay and check the harness connector for the fuel sending unit near the rear axle (again, based on F-Body). The fuel gauge being pegged generally indicates an open circuit. High resistance = high fuel level, and an open circuit has infinite resistance.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

I had a viper alarm once, worst thing ever in my car. Would randomly not crank or anything and everything would just shut off when trying to crank. Then the car would do nothing for 10 mins. Then suddenly work.

On an impala, check the grounds in the back, they all go together

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by 6 speed impy View Post

Maybe time for another V, hate unreliability, ...
    Blasphemy...

Anyways...iirc i remember on fb u said u disconnected the alarm. Is that correct? If so... how did u disconnect it?

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Lurker

Status
    Name
    6 speed Impy
    Vehicle
    1991 Z-28, 355, HSR, M6--2005 CTS-V (SOLD)--1994 Impala SS 6 Speed Swap--Have all blocks covered.

I have not checked the relay in the back by the tank. It has a hot wire fuel pump deal, harness goes right to the alternator picks up voltage off the battery, that is all good, relay in the fuse box works, fuse is good. it ran in the morning when I drove it. And the tank is about 1/2 full.

I tried using the disable feature on the alarm, still wont start, just cranks, and there is fire at the plug

Mike
    Last edited by 6 speed impy; 10-19-2016 at 02:28 PM.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Off to get fixed...

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Lurker

Status
    Name
    6 speed Impy
    Vehicle

Well its up and running. Apparently the turn signal switch in the column or something in that area is shorted, and the hazards are not to be used, something must be going on. We are changing that out while he has it and the cats are also bad, blowing chunks out the tail pipe, so need to deal with that as well. Might just be time to pull the ole 160k mile LT-1 out and do a fresh rebuild, nice alloy heads, proper headers, cam, and I am tired of cleaning up oil every time I move it.

Mike

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 6 speed impy For This Post: