Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Torque head

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by blown383ta View Post
    Fred is exactly correct here and this is my fear as well. That's why I'm merging the 2 kits so to speak , and plan on doing the TH basic kit, but using a factory pcm, and re-pin the connectors to 411 pcm, and adding the necessary wiring for the cam, crank, and coil packs, and possibly use TH coil strips. I just don't like the idea of them being the only source for replacement com if needed. It may very well never be needed, but, playing the devil's advocate, what if they disappear in 3 years, as lt1 is a niche market and I don't believe it's sustainable for long at the rate LS stuff is taking over the world. What will you do then? Exactly what I'm going to do NOW, the first time, and should I ever need to replace my pcm due to a failed upload or whatever, I just slap another readily available unit in, drop the tune, and I'm back on the road.
    You and fred both just reinforced my point. Noy knocking torqhead, just a possible fact, anything can happen to businesses.

Just like the guy making whipple manifolds for lt1's in canada. He just disappeared one day. Atleast he never sold any

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

And thats all why Im trying to do it all with what the factory gave us. VIVA LE OPTI!

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    eric
    Vehicle
    1993 TA

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    And thats all why Im trying to do it all with what the factory gave us. VIVA LE OPTI!

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN
    I'm throwing in the towel on opti' s for good. Sorry, way too many failures personally. Between no starts, cutting off when hot, poor driveability issues, rotors that come apart, caps that arc internally, coolant finding its way inside a new sealed opti, living south Florida the condensation builds inside no matter what after you shut the car down overnight. I even upgraded my non vented with msd cap and vent harness, which did help, but I've had it. Makes the lt1 unenjoyable, unreliable, and I'm just done with all that. Not to mention, no one really wants to tune an lt1 anymore, much less one with boost AND spray.
    The future is clear enough for me now, and that's at least going with LS management and coil per cylinder ignition. And my next build will likely be an LS, so, I might as well test the waters and finish what I started with my "little old lt1", so I can go wax that a$$ on some of these big head LS owners that think we ain't got nothin for them!
    It'll be nice to actually drive my car again and not worry where it's going to leave me stranded, without any spark at least anyways. Breaking stuff is part of the game, but when you can do an opti in less than an hour, you know you've done way too many. End of rant, sorry, lol

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

I'm throwing in the towel on opti' s for good. Sorry, way too many failures personally. Between no starts, cutting off when hot, poor driveability issues, rotors that come apart, caps that arc internally, coolant finding its way inside a new sealed opti, living south Florida the condensation builds inside no matter what after you shut the car down overnight. I even upgraded my non vented with msd cap and vent harness, which did help, but I've had it. Makes the lt1 unenjoyable, unreliable, and I'm just done with all that. Not to mention, no one really wants to tune an lt1 anymore, much less one with boost AND spray.
    The future is clear enough for me now, and that's at least going with LS management and coil per cylinder ignition. And my next build will likely be an LS, so, I might as well test the waters and finish what I started with my "little old lt1", so I can go wax that a$$ on some of these big head LS owners that think we ain't got nothin for them!
    It'll be nice to actually drive my car again and not worry where it's going to leave me stranded, without any spark at least anyways. Breaking stuff is part of the game, but when you can do an opti in less than an hour, you know you've done way too many. End of rant, sorry, lol
    I really don't want to continue derailing this thread. TH seems to be putting out some quality products and I applaud anyone breathing life into an otherwise stale platform.

With that being said, I agree entirely with @blown383ta in regards to the ol' opti. It's been a PITA since 1992 and everyone on this site knows it. It's an overpriced part and a pain to replace. My particular build, 24x swaps were hot when I pulled the trigger on a kit. LS coils and PCM on an LT1 is just an excuse to try to make the LT1 something it's not. Having owned modded LS vehicles for almost as long as I've owned an LT1 car, that's exactly what I was trying to do. I knew full well that my mildly worked heads and custom grind would likely make less than a cam only LS1.

The LS PCM allowed my tuning options to open significantly, which was a major driver to the project, as well. For what I paid for the 24x kit, I could have purchased a complete 5.3 or even 6.0 with harness/pcm.

For those that choose to stick with the LTx platform, more power to you! I'm all about seeing the underdog win a race or throw down big numbers on a dyno. TH and variants have really provided some interesting tech into this platform.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

But the question remains.... how does Ty Tech build the fastest/quickest LT1 on the planet with an Optispark ignition?
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    But the question remains.... how does Ty Tech build the fastest/quickest LT1 on the planet with an Optispark ignition?
    Fast xfi i believe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tom DeFeo
    Vehicle
    96 Pontiac formula ws6

Torqhead makes a nice kit and i bricked my 1st pcm with jet dst and they swapped me out another free of charge. Switched to hp tuners and everything has been good. I like not having a rpm limit of 7200 and waiting for an opti to come apart. If you guys are worried about them going out of business you can repin harness and get a 411 from bone yard. Good luck gents.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Britt
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

I know this post is older but saw it and wanted to reply directly. I am in south florida as well and having the same issue with the opti as I did before doing the LTCC conversion, a year later after doing it. I'm believing it's because the opti is not a delco and is of poor quality to begin with. That being said, I have the option of replacing the opti with an original new delco or just go 24x with the essentials kit from torqhead since I have the coils mounted already. In your experience living down here have your issues with optis at all been with an original delco? Thanks.
    1994 Camaro Z28 l 5.7L V8 6-speed manual l 45K original miles l LT1 to LS1 coil conversion (LTCC) l Magnaflow Exhaust

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123