Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    10 Second Club

Status
    Name
    Josh Hamming
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Default random thoughts for 2017...

Thought I would start a thread for suggestions and ideas to help make the 2017 Shootout better...

I had a great time attending this year's shootout, my first one since 2009 in Kansas City. It's a great atmosphere and great people attending! The organizers do an awesome job!

Keep in mind, these are just random thoughts that I have. Some may or may not work, I just want to throw stuff out that might help get more people to participate!

-Some guys and I were talking afterwords and someone suggested having a swap meet during the racing. Not necessarily just LT1 or GM, but maybe an all-make swap meet?

- Try to get more local participation... find local racing boards or groups to help get the word out? I know they did something last year with a local TV station, but not sure how well that worked.

- Maybe think about moving it away from Labor Day weekend. Not sure if it really affects attendance, but a lot of people plan vacations or go to the lake, etc over holiday weekends. It is nice for those that do travel a long ways to have that extra day though.

- Maybe try to have the track past 4pm? Racing after the sun goes down helps with track temps and helps get new personal bests and records.

- Is there anything else that can be done at the track during the racing-other activities for spectators?

- Figure out a way to have some sort of payout. While bragging rights and the awesome OPTI Trophys are a great thing to strive for, I think having a chance to win a little bit of money might help get more cars.

- Have an official event photographer/social media professional. Guys really like seeing pictures of all the cars, and I feel that this year was lacking. Not too many pictures or videos have been posted. I'm not saying that we need to have 1320Video or someone like that, but I feel if there was at least a semi-professional someone there dedicated to taking HIGH-QUALITY pictures and videos it would help out greatly.

- Magazine coverage?

That is all that I can think of for now. If anyone has any other ideas please post them up. I can add them to this list to keep everything organized.

As much fun as this event was this year, it would be even more fun sharing the experience with more of the LTx Community.

Discuss...

Josh Hamming
    1996 Z28
    8.503 @ 155.53 at the 2016 LTx Shootout

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ponyhntr For This Post:

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

Thanks for the kind words. We usually post up a few different topics (feedback, rules discussion, etc) shortly after the event, so we'll just call this one the official feedback thread since you kicked it off.
    I'm going to use your format or I'll forget to hit them all so here goes

-Some guys and I were talking afterwords and someone suggested having a swap meet during the racing. Not necessarily just LT1 or GM, but maybe an all-make swap meet?

Love this idea. While it's never been "official" most guys will have some spare parts they bring and sell in the parking lot, at the track, etc. This could be something that helps keep spectators occupied during the event in regards to a later suggestion.

- Try to get more local participation... find local racing boards or groups to help get the word out? I know they did something last year with a local TV station, but not sure how well that worked.

Brad has a pretty good relationship with the local BG travel bureau and they gave out several free passes on social media this year. We had 2 local racers show up and several spectators but I would love to see more. If there is anyone local to that area, please get in touch with us so we can try to equip you to spread the word.

- Maybe think about moving it away from Labor Day weekend. Not sure if it really affects attendance, but a lot of people plan vacations or go to the lake, etc over holiday weekends. It is nice for those that do travel a long ways to have that extra day though.

This is a tricky one. We have had a poll up in the past and the majority of people that voted said they would be in favor of a date change, however, the track is typically booked aside from some very beginning (rainy season) and end of the year dates that are not very desirable.

- Maybe try to have the track past 4pm? Racing after the sun goes down helps with track temps and helps get new personal bests and records.

The reason it's wrote up in the contract to finish up at 4 is because the track has an evening event that the gates open for at 5pm. I'm not sure that they would be negotiable on it but it's worth asking. Maybe an evening event instead of morning is possible?

- Is there anything else that can be done at the track during the racing-other activities for spectators?

Swap meet is a good one. I also have thought about renting a couple of bounce houses for kids (between myself and the certified crew we have a full football team worth of kids). An organized bbq would be nice. If we could get enough locals interested in a mobile dyno (spitballing) we might be able to draw in more spectators, revenue, etc

- Figure out a way to have some sort of payout. While bragging rights and the awesome OPTI Trophys are a great thing to strive for, I think having a chance to win a little bit of money might help get more cars.

This is top of our list for next year. We need to have serious discussion about it too. Raising registration costs may be an option but keeping the costs equal to a payout is key. Also, what kind of payout is fair for a field of 5-10 cars (if we could get that many to a class)

- Have an official event photographer/social media professional. Guys really like seeing pictures of all the cars, and I feel that this year was lacking. Not too many pictures or videos have been posted. I'm not saying that we need to have 1320Video or someone like that, but I feel if there was at least a semi-professional someone there dedicated to taking HIGH-QUALITY pictures and videos it would help out greatly.

There were a few photographers in attendance this year. Brandi is our official one and she has some pictures that she's editing now. This was also her first event with baby in tow so she had to divide time between the two, see my idea about a bounce house above

- Magazine coverage?

GMEFI was in attendance last year, and I'm hoping to get rick back for next year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to firebird_1995 For This Post:

LTXTech Sponsor

Status

great to see interest from others trying to make the experience better.

Since we are all spit balling here and work shopping, I do not have any say so in what happens next year or happened in the past so I'll give my opinions on the above points . . .

1 - Swap meet is a great idea and might bring others to the event or give other people something to do during down time. I think that it should be encouraged for ANY racer or sepctator to bring extra/unused parts they have and lay out by their tralier/truck, or car.

2 - any local F body or LT people could help alot by posting there. Hell, I'll take the job myself to create a user name and account for forums local to Ky and try to create a buzz about the evnt a few weeks ahead of time if no one else will. there are probably some local (Tenn, Ky, etc) racers reading this that can handle the job better and be more effective but if worse comes to worse, get me a the names of the web sites and forums and I will put in the work to help out the Shootour if it comes to that.

3 - I will be there regardless of what weekend. Labor Day weekend . . . . . . fine. Another weekend . . . . . . fine.

It has been discussed a few times and it "seems that" it is an equal balance between moving the event and gaining a few racers that can show up because it is NOT that weekend com pared to the ones that can't make the trip because they need the extra Monday off. I'm good either way but this seems to work. Another thing here is that the GOOD tracks (desirable tracks) get booked up QUICK and the dates are limited as to when they are booked and for how long (8-4 Labor day weekend was the ONLY openeing this year). A GOOD track and racing at night is a great idea if it can be pulled off. I do not know the ins and outs of how to do it or how hard/easy it would be. It seems like alot of thingfs are booked up quickly and the people renting track from last year gets first dibs on dates making it tough to change.

4 - There is a lot of dead time between rounds and so that "can be' trimmed up and have less 'dead time" between rounds and races. I know they have to do the schedule and print it out on the passes ahead of time so the best thing to help here would be EARLY REGISTRATION so they know what they are dealing with as fara s how many cars in each class. Keeping the cars moving would help alot and if you can shave off a lil each round maybe we can gain 1 hr by the end.

People watching the races would want them running round after round quickly so they can see constant racing. Someone that needs to repair their car between rounds might like the time between rounds.

Tracks open at 8AM and if they start racing by 11 AM instead of 12:00 they have 1 hr left at the end. If the finals end at 3:00 there could be 25 mins of grudge racing, do a "HERO PASS" prep on one lane and have any Outlaw guy capable of a 7 second pass put on a show.

5 - I spoke with Brad earlier today and he mentioned a bigger pay out was in the plans next year and the only thing in the way would be weather. You have to plan these things so far in advance kinda like an outdoor wedding. If weather is fine and no rain in forcast the attendance will be there for bigger pay outs. If it ends up being like 5-6 years ago. We were gonna bring Troys GMC Sonoma but a hurricane was possibly going to hit tne Shootout so we did not wanna miss work, drive 1 day thru rain to be rained out at the track so we stayed home and i am sure that others did for that reason too.

Who knows what kinda weather will be there at the nest Shootout so a "guaranteed pay out" is tough but "weather permitting" there will be a bigger pay out.

6 - GMHTP was theer last year taking photos and I thought they would be here this year but I guess i misunderstood. I thnk POPO has the contact info I believe. With the way the Shootout is growing iand Tyree's 8.03 off the trailer and 7.xx pass next year, it could be more on the priority list next year.

I know Kyle/Brandi brought their camera but it was dropped/wounded and did not work right. Not sure on video but maybe Brandio owns the equipment, knows someone that has the equipment otr maybe someone reading this post has the equipment or knows someone that does.

Just imageine Stefan and Tyree in the finals next year . . . . like Vader vs Palpatine as far as the baddest 2 going head to head.
    '
    That should be enough to get "someone" their to record the event.

Lloyd

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NightTrain66 For This Post:

LTXTech Sponsor

Status

6 - above . . . . . . GM EFI not GMHTP.

Lloyd

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NightTrain66 For This Post:

The Labor Day issue has been brought up plenty of times. It seems to work better to have it on Labor day weekend for the fact that it gives guys an extra day to get home. The 2 years that I went there were Tony Q and Mike V coming from Rhode Island and Mass, which were 14-17 hour drives. That's a brutal drive to do on Sunday if you have to work on Monday.
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joelster For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

I was the contact with Rick from GMEFI, however I forwarded the info to Brad at his request last year, and Idk what happened for this year .

I will do any date. That does not matter to me, as I have more off time than I know what to do with, but as stated above... that extra day helps out alot... especially for the long haulers.

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

Just have it for 2017, all I ask.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    Just have it for 2017, all I ask.
    Deal. Holding you to that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to firebird_1995 For This Post:

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

Me and shownowiener need to race again in 17'

Ill be settled down in life by then and ready to take on new jerseys baddest

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dawdaw For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dawdaw View Post
    Me and shownowiener need to race again in 17'

Ill be settled down in life by then and ready to take on new jerseys baddest
    Same, we can race for second best again
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

20. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast