Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Thread: Bad Luck!

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Brandon Reitz
    Vehicle
    1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Default Bad Luck!

I took my car out for the first time this year Friday evening. Everything was going good, but after I got off the highway I heard dragging. I hop out and seen my muffler dragging on the ground. I had to wait for it cool off then yanked it off the hanger and had to ruin my car cover by using it to wrap my muffler to get it in the car and home.

Then when I get home I smell antifreeze. My steam pipe hose off the radiator has a pin hole and coolant was everywhere! My steam pipe is rusty too. I'm looking for instructions on/if the steam pipe can be replaced with AN fittings / SS hose. I researched it and want to ask the experts here. Some are saying the threads are straight threads and a 90° fitting won't work. Not sure, any help is appreciated thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brarei200; 06-25-2022 at 08:26 PM.

LTX Master

Status

Bad luck on the exhaust failure and the car cover loss.
    About the steam tube, it can be done. I did it on an LT1. I ran a 1/4"NPT tap into the heads to chase the threads a bit and help cut a little taper into them, then used teflon tape on regular 1/4"NPT fittings. I just used some stuff I had in my shop to do mine. You could do it with fancy braided stainless too. I do know it will be a really hard area to get to in a 4th gen f-body. You'll lose a significant amount of skin from your hands and arms. Here is a photo of how I did it on a swapped LT1 at post #66
    http://www.ltxtech.com/forums/showth...-Pick-Up/page7
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JOATMON For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Brandon Reitz
    Vehicle
    1995 Pontiac Trans Am

I was talking to Sean on here and this should work instead of having to tap it as this is 1/4-18 npsm. It should clear firewall?

https://www.holley.com/products/plum...arts/940006ERL

Screenshot_20220626-184836_Messenger.png

5. The Following User Says Thank You to brarei200 For This Post:

LTX Master

Status

That's the fancy way I spoke of. I've seen some photos of it done in braided stainless line, but can't say on the amount of clearance. I just remember alot of bleeding from cuts and scrapes while trying to break loose some rusty stock steam line bolts in that tight space on my Camaro.
    Nolan
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Brandon Reitz
    Vehicle
    1995 Pontiac Trans Am

Okay thanks, I talked to a guy at work and he said a really easy way would be to cut the steam pipe where it's not rusty and run a line from there to the radiator.