Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    90 C1500 SCSB

Default LT1 TBI-Just for grins and giggles.

OK, I screwed up when I rebuilt the top end of my 5.7 a year or so ago, and after swapping on the higher compression Vortec heads, I also switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Ive since been told this is a no no. At least Im doing my part for mosquito abatement..... Anyway, it has caused me to start thinking about what to do with my motor-rebuild it, or replace it. So, I have a 94 LT1 with aluminum heads, that has been sitting at the machine shop for a while waiting for me to give the green light. After a bunch of research, I came up with an idea. Thought I'd run it by you guys to see if I missed anything.

So, my LT1 will be .040 over, and Im going to run the Lunati LT4 hot cam. Specs are 218/228 at .050 with .503 lift with 1.5 rockers. I'll be running 1.6s for .5635 of lift. I was originally going to run a TPI setup, but it would require running a 411 ECM and I have too much money at the moment in an EBL setup that I have the tuning software for already. I got to looking at the dual plane 4V intake from GM performance, and with a carburetor, it pulls 30 ft.lbs. over a stock LT1 setup. As I am already running a 4V manifold with adapter under my TBI, the thought occurred to me that the LT1 dual plane with a TBI could work out real well. Not only does it have the low end grunt of a TPI, but also breathes well into the 5800 RPM range-unlike the TPI. The cam is also good from 18-5800 RPM so that looked like a good fit too. This manifold will also let me run the stock distributor getting rid of the Opti-crap and send the proper signals to my ECM. The 10.5:1 compression with keep the efficiency up too and I should get just as good or better mileage than I do now.

I put the numbers into my desktop dyno-including complete flow numbers for the LT1 heads and 490 CFM for the TBI. At the rear wheels its showing 416 ft.lbs. at 3000 and 337 hp at 4750. If I replace the TBI with a 454 unit, at the rear wheels, I get 426ft,lbs. at 3000 and 346hp at 4750. Looks like the throttle body will naturally limit over rev.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Ccreddell; 06-21-2016 at 10:26 AM.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Enrique
    Vehicle
    93 Z28

I can't read your post written in black font....
    93 Z28, 383, PI 3200, Strange 12 bolt, 3.73, Strange coilovers, suspension, and going 24X... for three years or so.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    90 C1500 SCSB

Sorry, that should work better...

InActive Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 K1500, SS/SB

Quote Originally Posted by Ccreddell View Post
    OK, I screwed up when I rebuilt the top end of my 5.7 a year or so ago, and after swapping on the higher compression Vortec heads, I also switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Ive since been told this is a no no. At least Im doing my part for mosquito abatement..... Anyway, it has caused me to start thinking about what to do with my motor-rebuild it, or replace it. So, I have a 94 LT1 with aluminum heads, that has been sitting at the machine shop for a while waiting for me to give the green light. After a bunch of research, I came up with an idea. Thought I'd run it by you guys to see if I missed anything.

So, my LT1 will be .040 over, and Im going to run the Lunati LT4 hot cam. Specs are 218/228 at .050 with .503 lift with 1.5 rockers. I'll be running 1.6s for .5635 of lift. I was originally going to run a TPI setup, but it would require running a 411 ECM and I have too much money at the moment in an EBL setup that I have the tuning software for already. I got to looking at the dual plane 4V intake from GM performance, and with a carburetor, it pulls 30 ft.lbs. over a stock LT1 setup. As I am already running a 4V manifold with adapter under my TBI, the thought occurred to me that the LT1 dual plane with a TBI could work out real well. Not only does it have the low end grunt of a TPI, but also breathes well into the 5800 RPM range-unlike the TPI. The cam is also good from 18-5800 RPM so that looked like a good fit too. This manifold will also let me run the stock distributor getting rid of the Opti-crap and send the proper signals to my ECM. The 10.5:1 compression with keep the efficiency up too and I should get just as good or better mileage than I do now.

I put the numbers into my desktop dyno-including complete flow numbers for the LT1 heads and 490 CFM for the TBI. At the rear wheels its showing 416 ft.lbs. at 3000 and 337 hp at 4750. If I replace the TBI with a 454 unit, at the rear wheels, I get 426ft,lbs. at 3000 and 346hp at 4750. Looks like the throttle body will naturally limit over rev.

Any thoughts?
    Most of the guys here only think HP HP HP , torque is a foreign to them as braille

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    90 C1500 SCSB

That may be true, but there is expertise here too. And, most people know that you can only measure torque, and that horsepower is an equation....