Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistons

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro Z28

Default Pistons

What brand piston and compression ratio is good for a ltx 383 with spray. I know I need forged.
    [SIGPIC]

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jonathan Englund
    Vehicle
    1994 z28/1994 formula

It depends on what you wanna pay. Diamond and JE are both at or near the top of the list as far as quality and price... nitrous and compression go well together. Your compression ratio depends on what kinda gas you want to run. On premium upper 11's to low 12s would be ideal

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    94' Z28 A4 black: turbo build in progress
    94' Formula A4 red: 355, 11.5:1cr, LE 231/239 cam, comp promags, lpp's, Yank stall, 3:42's, Solomon tune
    07' Impala A4: 180000 miles of stockness

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro Z28

I want around 12.1 but I want to be able to run pump gas. Been looking a t probe pistons or srp.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Alex Rauld
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am GT

Are you planning on Meth or alky?

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Z28

I am at 12.15-1 comp on my 383 and everyone I talked to said it is not safe to run pump gas on the setup with today's pump gas variability batch to batch and inconsistent mixes. I was recommended to run Sunoco 109 on my car and it seems to run great on the gas (not to mention, smells great). However, the price of race gas is much more than pump so that is a disadvantage along with limited driving from your "fill" station. I am able to run pump gas as is but I need to pull timing and I would not risk any WOT runs on the pump gas. It could be fine but I am not willing to risk it. If you want to be 100% sure you can run on today's pump gas I would keep compression under 11.5-1.

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro Z28

What is the ideal compression ratio for 93 non ethanol for mainly a street car.

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Z28

I would stay under 11.5 with an LT1 and under 10.5-1 with old sbc.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Guillaume
    Vehicle
    95 Caprice & 89 RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Nostang 96z View Post
    I am at 12.15-1 comp on my 383 and everyone I talked to said it is not safe to run pump gas on the setup with today's pump gas variability batch to batch and inconsistent mixes. I was recommended to run Sunoco 109 on my car and it seems to run great on the gas (not to mention, smells great). However, the price of race gas is much more than pump so that is a disadvantage along with limited driving from your "fill" station. I am able to run pump gas as is but I need to pull timing and I would not risk any WOT runs on the pump gas. It could be fine but I am not willing to risk it. If you want to be 100% sure you can run on today's pump gas I would keep compression under 11.5-1.
    I ran 91 octane fuel in my 12.1:1 compression 383 LT1 for years, never had a problem. Ran a 100 shot at the track. That motor had 215 psi cranking pressure
    LT1's can handle a decent compression ration with the reverse flow cooling.

I'd run high 11 to 12:1 compression on a street driven nitrous car on pump fuel.
    1989 Mazda RX7 Turbo II, 357ci LT1, AI TFS CNC heads, Garrett GTX4708R, Ford 8.8" SAS, TH400. (Current project)
    1995 Chevy Caprice, Twin turbo 357ci LT1, 9.96 @ 141.2 mph (sold)

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by GuillaumeC View Post
    I ran 91 octane fuel in my 12.1:1 compression 383 LT1 for years, never had a problem. Ran a 100 shot at the track. That motor had 215 psi cranking pressure
    LT1's can handle a decent compression ration with the reverse flow cooling.

I'd run high 11 to 12:1 compression on a street driven nitrous car on pump fuel.
    I thought the same as well when building my combo but have been told otherwise due to the quality of pump gas today. I was really pissed to find that I had to run race gas in my setup. I will have the check my cranking compression to see where I am at. However, I would still be scared to run WOT on pump gas with my setup. I have ran pump gas cruising and it was fine but I also have a 5500 stall converter so the load was not too high. I did talk to Lloyd Elliot about it and he agreed that race gas was the way to go with my setup and that I could run pump gas if I pulled timing across the board on the tune but that would reduce power by ~40hp or so.

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by Nostang 96z View Post
    I thought the same as well when building my combo but have been told otherwise due to the quality of pump gas today. I was really pissed to find that I had to run race gas in my setup. I will have the check my cranking compression to see where I am at. However, I would still be scared to run WOT on pump gas with my setup. I have ran pump gas cruising and it was fine but I also have a 5500 stall converter so the load was not too high. I did talk to Lloyd Elliot about it and he agreed that race gas was the way to go with my setup and that I could run pump gas if I pulled timing across the board on the tune but that would reduce power by ~40hp or so.
    11.5:1 is a little on the conservative side. As long as you have the afr dialed in correctly 12.1-12.5 is not out of question. I have helped a friend tune his 12:1 setup on pump gas with up to a 200 shot of nitrous.
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast