Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Default The time has come...

*Warning LONG Post Ahead*

Hey what's up guys. I'm looking for some advice on this next potential build I have planned. I'm sick of my engine and all of its shortcomings the time for change is now! I'm planning on doing and LS swap!
    In my truck lol. I thought I'd start out with a little humor. No way am I LS swapping my Z28, no worries there. But I am very interested in swapping my 1993 Toyota Pickup Single Cab 2WD short bed. This tiny terror is powered by a 22RE 2.4L 4 banger. It has decent HP/TQ for what it is but it's no where near what I want. Getting up to speed on highways is miserable and I hate the way the truck sounds. I tried swapping out the exhaust and kept my stock cat, then swapped the manifold for a 4-1 header and it still sounds like ass and runs like it to. Although it was freshly rebuilt and a fun learning experience I'm just not happy with it. Truck maybe weighs 2400lbs but it's still way underpowered.

I figured a good way to go about it is to swap some good ol GM v8 goodness into the little turd and wake it up! I don't ever really plan on towing anything with it because it's so small and towing anything of significant weight seems scary (not familiar with towing and what physics take place but I don't see trucks this small doing it). Don't get me wrong I want to still be able to make my trips to hard ware stores to get material or do furniture deliveries but I'm not towing stuff. It's a minitruck after all and it needs more bark and bite!

A 4.8, or 5.3 is reasonable, don't think I'll have a need for any 6.0. I'm thinking iron blocks are the way to go since they usually cost less and are more available. Unfortunately there is a weight penalty to pay and not sure how the aging torsion bar front suspension will like it, but hell I've seen a couple swap threads out there on Toyota forums and "the other site" so it is possible. I mean if it's worth saving the weight and paying more for the aluminum engines I guess I'd be open to it. Budget is key here of course and I think I can get by with a solid swap for around 3-4K (I'll be getting any funds I can from selling the 22re and 5 speed to fuel the budget). Solid meaning get the engine and trans in the truck safely, with all gauges working and that's it. I'm not planning on really modding the engine prior to. I want to retain the best possible MPG. It's gonna be a mini muscle truck to an extent. It's main purpose is to be a reliable daily driver on a budget. I know reliable and budget don't go together but I think it can be done. I want daily driver that can go out and have fun too. I'll share why in a bit. But again it needs to be stock internal most likely, stock heads, decent intake (truck intake too tall?) I might be open to doing a cam swap for instance the ls6 cam swap which seems to be common as its enough to coax some more HP with stock drive ability and MPG. Also AC is a must and some of the swaps I've seen have it. Looking for creature comforts here, yes it's a daily!

Also I'd love to get a T56 behind this thing and I know my budget is tight trying to swap and have a 6 speed but there's something about cruising at 70-80mph in 6th at what maybe 16-1800 rpm in a 2400lb truck that's so enticing. Then I could rip through gears on the street if I wanted to. Keep in mind this truck is sitting on 17x9 '03-'04 Terminator Cobra wheels on 275/40/18 Toyo R1R's. It has eBay cheapo race seats with 5 point harnesses, quick release steering wheel and a few other things here and there to make it more "fun". I mean there's no fun in leaving everything stock right? Gotta mod here and there. But in any case it's a lightweight truck that I'd like to give more power and better fuel economy. I get avg highway 20mpg and city like 14mpg on this little 4 banger 5 speed combo. Cruising sucks 70mph in 5th and like 3500rpm just screaming (redline is like 5000rpm).

Am I crazy for wanting to do this swap? 300+rwhp in a light duty truck with a 6 speed sounds like a damn good time. Maybe I could just sell it as is and buy a Silverado/equivalent that has the power plant already (with and auto though) but mpg isn't great and it weighs a lot more. Yeah it would have towing capability meh, bigger hauling capacity meh. I guess I want the modern day El Camino hybrid with 'MURICAN V8 POWA in a light weight ish body a la Japan style. It's a compromise, sits low and drives like a car but I can haul stuff kinda...so it may suck at being either and I'll be okay with that. It will be my creation !

After finishing the cosmetic mods on my Z28 I knew I was done modding that for a while, I'll enjoy my bolt ons for a few years to come. I really need to focus on buying a house around this time next year. I'm holding off any further plans because I know I'm gonna go big with the Z and I can't do that living at home. So what I need to do is have a daily driver that I won't hate driving, that means v8 swapped truck, I think that's what is really fueling this want/need. It will definitely see a 60-120 mile round trip commute depending on where I end up job wise. But I need to be prepared to do so and the 4 banger 5 speed combo ain't cutting it.

So thoughts, comments, concerns, advice, it's all welcome. Let me know guys am I crazy, can it be done with my budget? Seems like I'm asking a lot for so little but the rest of the truck is set up for what I want. Interior and exterior are pretty much done just needs the solid power plant! Pics for reference (No I don't care about paint it will come when funds allow) :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SJx408; 05-08-2016 at 08:08 PM.
    Arctic White 1996 Z28. Stock internal LT1, CAI, LM1, MGW Shifter, 3.73's, some suspension junk, and shiny salad shooters (retired). Forgestar F14's 18x10 on all 4. Fun stuff coming soon. Also, Cali smog regulations suck...period. **Insert witty quote here** LT1FTW that is all. Have a nice day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SJx408 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Anyone...? I assume I should swap an LTx in it to get a response lol

Arctic White 1996 Z28. Stock internal LT1, CAI, LM1, MGW Shifter, 3.73's, some suspension junk, and shiny salad shooters (retired). Forgestar F14's 18x10 on all 4. Fun stuff coming soon. Also, Cali smog regulations suck...period. **Insert witty quote here** LT1FTW that is all. Have a nice day.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

That will be a rocket with a 5.3 or 4.8. I like it....
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sahara54 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara54 View Post
    That will be a rocket with a 5.3 or 4.8. I like it....
    Okay at least it's good to know I'm not crazy for wanting this swap. Only seen a few others who have done it. I'd like to join that club. It'd be nice to have some insight from guys on here who have swapped vehicles like say @Formula218 and anybody else!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SJx408 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris P. Bacon
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

Sounds like a awesome project!!! LS swaps are super easy. I picked up my 5.3l for $350 and when my swap was all said and done I was about $500-600 into my whole swap which was awesome because people like to try and scare you away saying they're expensive. Parts are cheap and very abundant.

A LTx T56 can be made to work with a LS very easily, pretty much everything else bolted up for me. All the accessories you need can be sourced from f-bodies or corvettes. C5 fuel regulator and you can keep the stock fuel pump. Wiring is the biggest pain, and even that was just re-pinning 5 or 6 wires. Any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.

'94 Formula 6spd
    If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Formula218 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

That's the type of info needed! Sounds like it can't be too difficult aside from wiring.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SJx408 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Look up a guy named pocket on the third gen forums...he did some how too's on making stand alone harnesses. I've helped do 3 this way.

found the link
    http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-l...rt-finish.html
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread