Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Drag Radial Selection

The race season is about to commence and I need new shoes!

Our no prep airport race starts next month, so I am needing to know what would be the best Drag Radial?

I have narrowed it down to two different tires. The MT ET Pros or the Hoosier QTP?

I'm really leaning towards the Hoosiers as they are 8lbs lighter per tire than the MT. Also a buddy of mine has the MT and he doesn't like them at all for what we are goin to be doing.

Any tips?

94 Camaro Z28 383ci AI Heads LE Cam 4L60E Stock 10 Bolt
    Personal Best 10.72 N/A 10.13 NO2

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

QTP is not a radial. It's a bias-ply DOT tire.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    David
    Vehicle
    1985 Camaro Z28/1994 Firebird Formula

I have ran the Hoosier Drag Radial and the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial. Both hooked just fine but the Hoosier is the lighter of the two. I can't say one was better than the other because I made other changes at the same time so have no back to back comparison of just tires.
    -David-
    1985 Camaro Z28 (Under Construction)
    1994 Firebird Formula - LT1/4L60e (The Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    QTP is not a radial. It's a bias-ply DOT tire.
    These are the ones I was referring to. Are they still a Bi-Ply? I can't seem to find where it says. And I was under the assumption they were radials for the 275 class? I could be mistakined. But Bi-ply tires are not allowed in the series we have coming up.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hoosier/522/17317/10002/-1

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Kyle
    Vehicle
    '95 Trans Am

of the 2 the MT pro has been faster.
    Kyle

just ur everyday slow LT1. wanna try her out?

Quote Originally Posted by SexyTransAm View Post
    of the 2 the MT pro has been faster.
    Yea, the reason I'm asking is a buddy bought the MT pro and he hates them. Told me to try the Hoosiers.

And BTW, why don't you come on over to Eastern KY and check out the Airport Drags next month! Its just like 2 hours from you. Show the boys there's more than one LT1 running around Kentucky that can whip LS ass!

Quote Originally Posted by DMBlack View Post
    I have ran the Hoosier Drag Radial and the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial. Both hooked just fine but the Hoosier is the lighter of the two. I can't say one was better than the other because I made other changes at the same time so have no back to back comparison of just tires.
    Lots of mods is fun at one time, but I've recently learned it can be bad also. I messed up my 60' after a drag bar and front coilovers. Now I have to back track and figure out what has got me out of adjustment.

LTXTech Sponsor

Status
    Name
    David
    Vehicle
    1985 Camaro Z28/1994 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Jayz28 View Post
    These are the ones I was referring to. Are they still a Bi-Ply? I can't seem to find where it says. And I was under the assumption they were radials for the 275 class? I could be mistakined. But Bi-ply tires are not allowed in the series we have coming up.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hoosier/522/17317/10002/-1

Those are the radials.
    -David-
    1985 Camaro Z28 (Under Construction)
    1994 Firebird Formula - LT1/4L60e (The Daily)

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Kyle
    Vehicle
    '95 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Jayz28 View Post
    Yea, the reason I'm asking is a buddy bought the MT pro and he hates them. Told me to try the Hoosiers.

And BTW, why don't you come on over to Eastern KY and check out the Airport Drags next month! Its just like 2 hours from you. Show the boys there's more than one LT1 running around Kentucky that can whip LS ass!
    iv never hear of anyone goin from the pro to a hoosier unless it was from a pro to a bias ply hoosier.
    where r the arm drops held? iv heard bout em but never really gave any thought to goin
    Kyle

just ur everyday slow LT1. wanna try her out?

Quote Originally Posted by SexyTransAm View Post
    iv never hear of anyone goin from the pro to a hoosier unless it was from a pro to a bias ply hoosier.
    where r the arm drops held? iv heard bout em but never really gave any thought to goin

Yea I'm just goin by what he said. He says his car doesn't do very well with them. He likes the regular ET street radials better. The Gen 1's I think. But I need new tires to be competitive this year.

The major one is in Prestonsburg, ky. Its in Floyd county. Held at a local airstrip. 1/8th mile race.

A point series is getting started this year and we will have two new venues to race at for points. It includes the raceway on I64 near Morehead and it includes Pikeville, KY's little race event downtown. I'll find a link to the rules and dates and post in a few....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast