Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: band saw?

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

Quote Originally Posted by myltwon View Post
    Local guy I know builds tons of turbo setups for people and uses a harbor freight horizontal with zero issues.
    cool.
    with how little i actually work on my shit it will probably last forever.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

Quote Originally Posted by blkchevyz View Post
    yeah i actually just ordered it from them... found a 25% off coupon so got it for a little over 200.
    people rate harbor freight stuff pretty honestly so if they get some good rating i feel halfway confident lol.
    hell i bought an angle grinder from them and its still going strong... and i grind alot since my welding isnt pretty.
    Ha that's cool let me know what u think of it I might have to follow suit.

I just got a transfer pump to pump maple SAP from harbor, the thing was dead out of.the box.
    Hit or miss lol

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Alex Rauld
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am GT

Most harbor freight stuff I've gotten is pretty much DOA or good to go about 50/50, especially cheapo air tools. Anything heavy-use I buy quality stuff but odd job tools are fine.

They have some of the best floor jacks out there for the price, and most anything else you buy anywhere near it in price is usually the same stuff with different stickers on it from more "trusted" manufacturers. Definitely avoid their strut/spring compressor, the threaded rod was bowing on mine after about the 2nd or 3rd compression and the threads were eating themselves alive.

As much as I hate buying stuff from there, they do have their purpose especially when it's specialty tools you might be one and done with. Now if you plan on using the tools to earn a living you might want to invest in higher quality stuff.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

Quote Originally Posted by myltwon View Post
    Most harbor freight stuff I've gotten is pretty much DOA or good to go about 50/50, especially cheapo air tools. Anything heavy-use I buy quality stuff but odd job tools are fine.

They have some of the best floor jacks out there for the price, and most anything else you buy anywhere near it in price is usually the same stuff with different stickers on it from more "trusted" manufacturers. Definitely avoid their strut/spring compressor, the threaded rod was bowing on mine after about the 2nd or 3rd compression and the threads were eating themselves alive.

As much as I hate buying stuff from there, they do have their purpose especially when it's specialty tools you might be one and done with. Now if you plan on using the tools to earn a living you might want to invest in higher quality stuff.
    yeah i learned my lesson on air tools from them, they are junk, no torque at all. still using some, but replacing them with better quality when they go out, or i get tired of having to baby them.

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird

SWAG offroad has a table that'll bolt on to those portable bandsaws to make em a fair bit more useful. You can alternate it between a more traditional band saw and a hand held one that way. Might be something to take a gander at.
    94 firebird 315 30 18 x 4, 3.4/A4 to LT1/M6 swap, bilstein racing coilovers, leveled LCAs, lowered PHR, spherical bushings in stock lower a arms, 35mm front swaybar, 1" rear sway bar, ported heads, cam, LS1 lid, longtubes, rebuilt T56 blah blah blah

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

well it got delivered... but it looks like ups just threw it off the truck lol. damn motor mount was broken in half.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

well it got delivered... but it looks like ups just threw it off the truck lol. damn motor mount was broken in half.
    That's a bitch, hope they can iron the issue out for you quickly.

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

Quote Originally Posted by gmpowered View Post
    That's a bitch, hope they can iron the issue out for you quickly.

my replacement finally showed up... box is in a little better shape then the last lol
    damn thing is heavy as shit though

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

things works pretty good. directions sucked on putting it together though. and some of the pre assembled parts i had to take apart becuase they were installed incorrectly.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    john
    Vehicle
    camaro

things works pretty good. directions sucked on putting it together though. and some of the pre assembled parts i had to take apart becuase they were installed incorrectly.
    Figures lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12