Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

Default Steering column pull

The steering column on my red Z28 has to be pulled downward toward the 8 o'clock position to activate the high beam headlights. I've read the shop manual and this dilemma isn't addressed. Short of replacing it with the column from my white Z28, what is there to check out? I certainly would prefer changing out a part as opposed to the entire column, obviously, but hey, my white Z28 is my backyard O'Reilly auto store...LOL. It bothers me to mess with the ignition switch between the 2, and I could do surgery and dissect it to find the root cause, but I'm hoping someone's experience can assist with the manual's disassembly/re-assembly process. I have yet to see anything on this topic in any forum. An inquiring mind would appreciate ideas from deep thinkers.
    '94 Z28 Red, SLP Ultra Z hood/air box/spoiler, LT1 w/deletions & mods, 4L60e Pro Race build by​ CPT, Pacesetter LTs with stainless Speed Engineering LS1 True Duals, LS1 front brakes, Kenny Brown Double Diamond SFCs.
    '94 Z28 Arctic White, T-tops, retired.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

It sounds like the there is a short in the turn signal/ high/low beam switch. It can be replaced with a new one. They can be purchased from your local part store. I have not had to replace mine so I have not looked to see how it comes apart.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Camaro96; 02-10-2016 at 06:04 AM.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

The lever is connected to a dimmer switch by a rod. Could need adjustment, tightening, etc. Look at the 94 factory manual, Volume 1, page 3F5B-2 "Tilt Steering Column Repair" for a cluttered but useful parts diagram. There are no dimmer related wires in the upper/tilt portion of the steering column. The switch (#83 in the diagram) is between the dash support bracket and the firewall, along with the ignition switch.

I'll see if Shoebox has anything helpful. I believe he has indicated the switch and the lever can be replaced without pulling the column, but I need to check.

The procedure on page 3F-6 indicates you can move the dimmer switch to take slack out of the system.

From Shoebox's website, unfortunately included in a procedure for pulling the steering column to replace the ignition switch"

http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html
    Last edited by Injuneer; 02-11-2016 at 04:44 PM.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.