Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Thread: Lt1 misfire

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Aaron gilbert
    Vehicle
    94 buick roadmaster estate wagon

Default Lt1 misfire

I have a 94 Buick Roadmaster Lt1 that has developed a misfire/dead cylinder. I drove my wagon to get pizza ran fine, came out had what felt like a dead cylinder. I made it home the driver side bank was making a huffing sound at the exhaust tip. I have so far checked the compression 150 psi each cylinder and checked spark at plugs with a spark checker I have spark at plugs. I have discovered recently that moisture causes car not to fire at all motor spins over but no spark. I have not replaced anything yet all parts appear stock car has 220,00 miles. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

You might want to repost this in the "LTx Engine Tech" forum, or ask a Moderator to move it there. This forum is for site problems, not car problems.
    @popo8
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Moved. Thanku @Injuneer

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

How old are the plugs and wires? Moisture can affect the wires, the coil and the Opti. Check for arcing wires in the dark, inspect the ends of the wires where they plug into the distributor and the distributor sockets for corrosion. Check the short Opti harness on both ends for corroded connectors, damaged pins, or missing lock clips. Check the plugs for fouling and excessive gap. If the Opti has 220K miles on it, it's probably on borrowed time.

Scan the PCM for codes. Check the fuel pressure.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Aaron gilbert
    Vehicle
    94 buick roadmaster estate wagon

Sorry to admin for posting in wrong spot noob mistake. Thanks Injuneer for information. The opti and wires are by no means new, haven't seen arcs in the dark from wire to ground. I also haven't touched the fuel system, gonna check that asap. If I was to replace wires and the opti unit what are some good replacement units, seen some mixed reviews on the msd/accel units not to mention ebay stuff. Thanks again for information given.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Dan Dalessandro
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro Z28

The only opti I would put on my car is an AC Delco. No eBay or auto parts opti. Spend the money the first time.

14.307@98.21, 2.155 60'

97 Z28, M6 with stuff done to it. SHOOTING FOR 12s IN A BOLT ON LT1 BOYS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Stay away from msd/accell I have had both and they are absolute garbage. Spend the money on a delco with warranty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Aubrey
    Vehicle
    (2) 1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post
    Stay away from msd/accell I have had both and they are absolute garbage. Spend the money on a delco with warranty

That means the vented MSD on my red Z28 is an exception to the rule? The previous owner rebuilt the engine in the dining room of his townhouse with the help of his buddy, a GM certified mechanic. I've had no spark trouble in the 4k to 5k miles I've put on it on both the street & 6 passes @ the track. All I've done is offset the coil from the head to prevent heat soak like so many members have advised should be done. Hhhmmm...I'm gonna put a few more passes on it in a couple of weeks too.
    Last edited by Ardent_Z28; 11-03-2015 at 01:42 AM.
    '94 Z28 Red, SLP Ultra Z hood/air box/spoiler, LT1 w/deletions & mods, 4L60e Pro Race build by​ CPT, Pacesetter LTs with stainless Speed Engineering LS1 True Duals, LS1 front brakes, Kenny Brown Double Diamond SFCs.
    '94 Z28 Arctic White, T-tops, retired.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post

Agreed with BOTH. 1st hand experience with many opti makes as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The only opti I would put on my car is an AC Delco. No eBay or auto parts opti. Spend the money the first time.

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ardent_Z28 View Post
    That means the vented MSD on my red Z28 is an exception to the rule? The previous owner rebuilt the engine in the dining room of his townhouse with the help of his buddy, a GM certified mechanic. I've had no spark trouble in the 4k to 5k miles I've put on it on both the street & 6 passes @ the track. All I've done is offset the coil from the head to prevent heat soak like so many members have advised should be done. Hhhmmm...I'm gonna put a few more passes on it in a couple of weeks too.
    You are a lucky one. Older msd optis were semi ok, I had one for about 50k miles. When I removed it, the rotor had been eating into the separator plate, and their was play in the bearing. Figured ok, I can pay $100 and have msd redo the bearing, and they'll put a new cap and rotor on, awesome! Got it back, car wouldn't run. Sent it back again, recieved it back, car wouldn't run. Did it a THIRD time, car wouldn't run. Meanwhile got an opti full of coolant off a stock 180k mile motor, dried it out. Did home made vented conversion, put it on, and made dyno day. Car ran better than it EVER did. Once they went broke and got bought by some China company, they went to shit. Even their cap and rotor kits fit like crap too.

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post: