Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    LTXTech Sponsor

Status

very detailed post.

Great job.

I am sure that alot of first timers doing (or considerinbg) a head/cam swap would love all of the details and pics.

Looks like you are getting close to firing this thing up.

Hopefully it gets finished up this weekend so you can go for a terst drive.

Lloyd

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Brian DeLuca
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Nice job so far. Looks like it's all being done the right way with a good attention to detail. Good luck on the first start.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt - 10.2@140 / 777rwhp - Forever Dyno Queen
    17 Corvette Z06 - 11.05 @ 125
    17 GMC Sierra Denali Dmax

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joe
    Vehicle
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain66 View Post
    very detailed post.

Great job.

I am sure that alot of first timers doing (or considerinbg) a head/cam swap would love all of the details and pics.

Looks like you are getting close to firing this thing up.

Hopefully it gets finished up this weekend so you can go for a terst drive.

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd. Im glad you were able to see this thread and see your product put to use.

I was able to start it up briefly last night. I only ran it for a minute since i didnt have coolant in the engine. i just wanted to make sure it started. Fired right up without hesitation. It sounded good too. Idled and revved up healthy. I will have a video posted tomorrow once I get home. All i have to do is add some coolant and modify the stock valve covers and the car will be on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdws6 View Post
    Nice job so far. Looks like it's all being done the right way with a good attention to detail. Good luck on the first start.

thankyou. I tried to do everything correct so i didnt have issues later on. It was defintialy a lot more work than i expected.
    Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 07-04-2015 at 12:31 PM.
    LE1 Heads/Cam, LS1 Lid, 6 Speed, Competition Clutch 2.5, 3.90 Gears, UMI suspension,
    Strano Springs, Strano 35/22mm Sway Bars, Solomon Tune, Magnaflow Catback

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

Great thread,the pics help a lot.Were did you get the Victor Reinz 5898 gaskets??
    BEAVER

94 Z28,4A,LLOYD SG CAM,1.6RR,SHIFT KIT,2,800 STALL,HEADERS,HEADS PORTED & POLISHED,ALL INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS LUNATI !!!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joe
    Vehicle
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by beaver50 View Post
    Great thread,the pics help a lot.Were did you get the Victor Reinz 5898 gaskets??
    I ordered them from Rock Auto. I think they were only like $40.00 total for both. I wanted to go with the impala ones but those are discontinued. Plus these are slightly thinner.
    LE1 Heads/Cam, LS1 Lid, 6 Speed, Competition Clutch 2.5, 3.90 Gears, UMI suspension,

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA View Post
    I ordered them from Rock Auto. I think they were only like $40.00 total for both. I wanted to go with the impala ones but those are discontinued. Plus these are slightly thinner.
    Thanks for the info!!
    BEAVER

94 Z28,4A,LLOYD SG CAM,1.6RR,SHIFT KIT,2,800 STALL,HEADERS,HEADS PORTED & POLISHED,ALL INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS LUNATI !!!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joe
    Vehicle
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

The car is running and back on the road! Here are some last minute pictures and two videos. To clearance the valve covers all I had to do was make two slits on the side of the drip rails with some tin snips and straighten out the oil drip rail thing. You don't have to chop away at the valve cover like other people have done. Took literally 5 minutes to do both sides and they fit fine with no noise or clearance issues with the ultra pro mags.

The new suspension is awesome as well. The car drives super nice.

Two Walk around videos. The cam is a lot smoother than the LT4 hotcam at idle. It stinks less and doesn't burn the eyes like it used to do. You honestly cant even tell it has a cam for having some decent duration and lift. It drove nice and smooth. power is good, better than before. Its super drivable. I just have to mess with the TPS sensor and get that dialed in some more. Hopefully the videos work. If they don't, search Joe97TA and then click on my channel. Look for the LE1 #1 and #2 videos.

Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 07-05-2015 at 03:56 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Badazz 97 TA For This Post:

LTXTech Sponsor

Status

The 223/231 .557/.571 112 LSA cam should idle about like a Hot Cam or maybe a hair more aggressive.

DEFINITELY not less aggressive.

I would make sure rockers are not too tight and dial in the tune a lil.

Lloyd

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joe
    Vehicle
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain66 View Post
    The 223/231 .557/.571 112 LSA cam should idle about like a Hot Cam or maybe a hair more aggressive.

DEFINITELY not less aggressive.

I would make sure rockers are not too tight and dial in the tune a lil.

Lloyd

Alright, I will adjust the rockers one more time and see if getting the tune dialed in a little more will help. I should be able to datalog next week. I only went 1/2 turn of preload with 7/16 studs and stock lifters. I figured it would be slightly more choppy but it isn't. You can barely tell it has a cam at idle to be honest. The hotcam sounded more aggressive. It pulls super strong and runs great though. I like it a lot.

I am having high idle issues randomly and it struggles to start. I really think it has something to do with the TPS voltage or something along those lines because it didn't do it before the swap. The only thing I did different was I isolated that idle air port to the intake manifold on my aftermarket throttle body and drilled a 1/8th hole in it that it didn't have before so that it was like the stock setup.
    Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 07-07-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jonathan Englund
    Vehicle
    1994 z28/1994 formula

idling around 1000rpm (park/nuetral) and 950rpm in gear my 231/239 (the lower lift version) from lloyd doesn't lope all that much once its hot either. Its pretty choppy on startup though. I think when I finally get my aldl to cooperate with me again to get a datalog i'll get the idle lowered back down closer to stock. It think it'll be pretty choppy at a lower idle...
    94' Z28 A4 black: turbo build in progress
    94' Formula A4 red: 355, 11.5:1cr, LE 231/239 cam, comp promags, lpp's, Yank stall, 3:42's, Solomon tune
    07' Impala A4: 180000 miles of stockness

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast