Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Lurker

Status

Default Time to quiet down the exhaust, help me decide how!

Well, I've had enough of the Dynomouth (LM1 w/ Dynomax bullet). It sounds great at WOT, but it's just too loud for my tastes now. The rasp, drone and vibration while cruising is too much, and it fits like crap. It's time to quiet this beast down.

Since I'm picky and an indecisive SOB, I need some help. I've been watching videos on the magical net, but it's hard to gauge sound without hearing it in person. Mostly, I'm interested in the volume and drone at idle and cruising. My brother has Magnaflow and likes it, but his is an LS1 and therefore sounds completely different. Hearing Magnaflow on LT1's, I'm not sure I'm totally sold on the sound. I'm really liking the Hooker catback, but still unsure of how quiet it is down low. I am also really liking the Borla 40474 muffler, but again, unsure about how it sounds down low. I also noticed Borla has a non-adjustable catback, anyone have that? Or the Dynomax Super Turbo? Although that might be too quiet.

I'm hoping some of you have some good input (vids welcome!) on the characteristics of these exhaust systems, or any others you'd like to throw out there. Having a similar setup would really help too. Budget is around $600. Aluminized steel should be fine, my car is a garage queen, doesn't see inclement weather, and lives in the south.

Current setup rundown:
    228/236 110 LSA cam from Lloyd
    Kooks LT's
    Kooks catted y-pipe
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

Magnaflow would get my vote, sounds very nice on my friends 385 LT1 motor. Deep and mellow at idle, barks up top
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

LTX Master

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 z28 2005 gxp

i've always been a fan of the mufflex systems. youtube has a bunch of videos of them.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

My stock LT1 with LT's, ORY, and Magnaflow was very quiet versus other systems, IMO. It sounded good at WOT, but very tame at idle. Drone was very minimal and no/minimal rasp. It was so quiet I actually traded a guy for a LM1. I got rid of it and went a different direction altogether.

If you want quiet, a Magnaflow would probably do the trick.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

Magnaflow and Hooker are pretty equal when it comes to volume. My friend has a Hooker on his car and I always thought it sounded like crap compared to my Magnaflow.
    It only gets louder with a cam, far from quiet.

There are super turbos on the Boatmaster and they're super quiet. Great sleeper mufflers.
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Corey
    Vehicle
    94 Camaro z28

i like my magnaflow, pretty quiet at idle, then opens up as you give it throttle. i wouldnt mind something louder though but that is what the cutout is for

94 Z28 M6, 383 LT1, McLeod Twin Disk, MGW, SLP CAI, Pacesetter LTs w/ORY, E-cut out, Spintech 2OTL, Strano sways, BMR suspension, Viking coilovers, Solomon tuned
    96 Chevy K1500, 5.7L Vortec, 4l60e, 14 bolt, Volant CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Spintech 6000, b&m, 33s- DD

JIMMY!!!

Status

Another vote for magnaflow. I've had it on my car for almost 7 years now, and I love it, no drone while cruising, nice deep, smooth sound, without a lot of volume. I wouldn't think twice about going through a quiet neighborhood late at night and it bothering anyone. I've come home late and it doesn't wake up my 2 year old, but when you get down on it, it really wakes up.
    1995 Formy M6 T-top LS1 WS6 air box w/LG G2 lid, LE 226/230 cam, cleaned up stock heads, 1.6 RR's, SLP pp, SPEC stage 3+ disc, LPP longtubes, Magnaflow, t/a cover, 3.73's, J&M LCA's, UMI 3pt SFC's. 12.8 @ 110 on a 2.00 60' 3 days after going back together untuned.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

Default Time to quiet down the exhaust, help me decide how!

I have a true dual 3" system, X pipe with the "Dynomouth" race bullets as cats and a set of the 6" round Dynomax ultraflows tucked up in the rear. Race bullets act as a resonator. No cats on my car. No drone while idling or cruising. Nice deep thump. I get a lot of compliments on how good the exhaust sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1QUICKZ28; 06-16-2015 at 09:02 PM.
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    David
    Vehicle
    97 355 Green TA

I have a decent cam and hookers long tubes, ofy, and a rusted out Flowmaster. It's rusted out because I blew a head gasket and all the moisture while I rebuilt the motor hollowed it out some... It's loud pretty much all the time and drones at about 1600rpm but I like it. It's a toy.
    My buddy has pacesetters and a MagnaFlow and I got to say at idle it's quiet, and once it starts revving it comes alive but not loud enough to draw every cop around. He loves it for daily use

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
    97 TA (Rebuilding):Stock bottom end 355, CAI, 52 TB, Ported intake and lt1 heads, 227/235 LE cam, Ultra-Pro-Mags 1.6RR's, Hooker LT's, single flowmaster, McLeod Clutch. Need a 9inch rear to handle the abuse

FLOGROWN

Lurker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Catmaigne View Post
    There are super turbos on the Boatmaster and they're super quiet. Great sleeper mufflers.
    I know what you mean. My Dad has the super turbos on his Nova's Pypes system, and I can barely hear the exhaust at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie4Life View Post
    I wouldn't think twice about going through a quiet neighborhood late at night and it bothering anyone. I've come home late and it doesn't wake up my 2 year old, but when you get down on it, it really wakes up.
    That's really what I'm looking for. I always feel guilty starting my car at night and puttering it out of the complex parking lot because it's so damn loud. Or when I pull through the drive thru and have to kill the ignition just so they can hear me.

Well, you guys have me thinking more and more about Magnaflow. I found a clip of a cammed LT1 with LT's and Magnaflow and I have to say it sounded pretty good. The SS construction is also tempting me over the Hooker.
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast