Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Thread: Torque Wrenches

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Default Torque Wrenches

What is everyone using for a good torque wrench? I must say, up until recently I never really had much of a need to torque stuff properly. Over the winter, I put a modded ls3 intake on my Camaro and that is the first real time I worried about it. My old dial torque wrench is probably inaccurate so I ran to HF and picked up a small 1/4" guy and 3/8" - "click" style. Since then, I have been considering going the digital route and doing stuff like lug nuts (although I NEVER had a problem with those coming loose by hand), and other misc stuff.

I have a 5.3 short block that will need to get put together for my IROC project. Would like to pick one up before then.

This tool won't get used hard, so i don't want to spend $500. The HF wrenches worked fine for the small job I did. I believe there's a reputable digital one floating around in the $100 range that is appealing. Anyone ever use one like that?

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

I like the craftsman digitals. Have a inch/lb and ft/lb one and they are nice
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status

I have the digital snap on unit that does inch pounds, foot pounds, nuten meters . It's been great but id get the craftsman one in s hart beat next time around
    97 firehawk m6 with a forged long rod 355 stock heads and intake soon to be upgraded to LE 21* tfs heads and a big ass cam , rpm built level 5 t56 trans s60 with 4.30 gears umi suspension walbro pump and hot wire kit and a spinning best 12.36 @ 114 crap 60 foot.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    CHRIS
    Vehicle
    94 CAMARO.

precision instruments. split beam flex head. hands down best quality and bang for the buck.
    http://ltxtech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3572&dateline=1317253  626