Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Default QA1 adjustable shock settings.

I am wondering what your preferred settings are for the strip AND the street. I am getting ready for drag racing this year, and have always just left them at 6 all around for street use. Consensus seems to be softer in The front and stiffer in the rear. I am running nitto 555r drag radials, sfc, aftermarket lca and panhard, have 12 way adjustable qa1s front and rear with I think the 300 lbs springs in front. I'm an A4 car too, just looking for a starting point, maybe what works best for you guys street and strip.
    1994 Trans Am GT, stock 28k mi bottom end LE2 H/C/I , 1.6rr, LT4 KM, moroso cai, jet hot lts, hooker y-pipe, slp powerflo, 37# inj, 255 pump, built 4l60e, 2800 stall, spohn/hotchkis/qa1 suspension etc etc.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 94ndta For This Post:

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Never really got to dial mine in at the strip (0 front, 4 rear but rear was too soft, was bouncing on every shift) but on the street the car was fairly happy with front and rear at 6 or 7 for a little more firm ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

4 to 5 on extension up front . 10 out back for compression

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

To clarify, I was running 12 way single adjustables, and @dawdaw is referencing double adjustable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
    To clarify, I was running 12 way single adjustables, and @dawdaw is referencing double adjustable.
    I am running the single adjustable. I just checked them again, I had the rears at 10, drivers side front at 5, and passenger front at 10 (wtf) I now have the rears at 8, and the fronts at 6, might move the fronts to 7, still a little bouncy.
    1994 Trans Am GT, stock 28k mi bottom end LE2 H/C/I , 1.6rr, LT4 KM, moroso cai, jet hot lts, hooker y-pipe, slp powerflo, 37# inj, 255 pump, built 4l60e, 2800 stall, spohn/hotchkis/qa1 suspension etc etc.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

Yup. I can't really remember how single adjustable go weather it controls the compression or extension but for a radial tire the setting I put above are pretty sweet. If you have doubles on the front run the extension at 40% extension 80% compression, rears 80% compression 50% extension. That will drive that radial down and keep it there. .. run the lca in the lowest or next to lowest hole and the torque arm in the 2nd to highest hole... pinion at -1.8 to -2.2. .. The nittos aren't as good as mickeys but those settings are as good as it gets.

How do the singles work? Adjustable extention with a set compression I'm guessing?

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Single adjustable is both compression and rebound, adjustment for the same. The doubles are nice because you can independently set the compression and rebound. But the singles are still great considering how many people over the past........15-20 years I guess now.......have used them just fine.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

Quote Originally Posted by dawdaw View Post
    Yup. I can't really remember how single adjustable go weather it controls the compression or extension but for a radial tire the setting I put above are pretty sweet. If you have doubles on the front run the extension at 40% extension 80% compression, rears 80% compression 50% extension. That will drive that radial down and keep it there. .. run the lca in the lowest or next to lowest hole and the torque arm in the 2nd to highest hole... pinion at -1.8 to -2.2. .. The nittos aren't as good as mickeys but those settings are as good as it gets.

How do the singles work? Adjustable extention with a set compression I'm guessing?
    Is this the settings you're using for the strip? Only reason I'm asking is I just installed a set of QA1 double adjustable on the rear of my car. I know ever car is little different, just trying to get a starting point on where to set for street and track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

From my experience, the rear shocks don't make as big a difference as the front. I always left my rear single adjuables in the middle. Also was involved heavily with George Baxter's low 8-second 30th SS convertible, and even though he replaced his front single QA1's with AFCO doubles, he kept the QA1 singles in the back. Don't know where they were set. Steve Spohn set the suspension up in his shop, and I don't ever recall anyone changing the rears, but I wasn't always at the track when he ran. Car pulled regular 1.2X 60's.

I know he was also running stock 4th Gen coupe springs, because Madman convinced him to use those, and I traded George my Formula rear springs for his Eibach Drag Launch rears.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    From my experience, the rear shocks don't make as big a difference as the front. I always left my rear single adjuables in the middle. Also was involved heavily with George Baxter's low 8-second 30th SS convertible, and even though he replaced his front single QA1's with AFCO doubles, he kept the QA1 singles in the back. Don't know where they were set. Steve Spohn set the suspension up in his shop, and I don't ever recall anyone changing the rears, but I wasn't always at the track when he ran. Car pulled regular 1.2X 60's.

I know he was also running stock 4th Gen coupe springs, because Madman convinced him to use those, and I traded George my Formula rear springs for his Eibach Drag Launch rears.
    Thanks for response. Stopped at UMI and they told me the same thing about stock rear springs. Said guys are running in the 7's with stock springs and drag shocks. He also mentioned guys run just as fast or faster with coilovers. I have a set of the double adjustable that came on a car a bought. I have installed them and plan on using them. Just seeing if anyone can give me some insight on where to start with my settings. Maybe I'll do what you said and start in the middle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.