Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

nl383sbc

Default Jet DST nightmare...

I guess I'm following the typical newbie looking for help with their first post. lol

I have a 1996 Lt1 camaro that is all stock. I bought a used Jet Dst tuner from a friend and a cheap laptop (toshiba) running windows 7. I also have a Macbook with a dual boot with XP on it.

I also have bought a USB-Serial converter since I have no serial port.http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-USB...0_2-CA_1_20001

I cannot for the life of me get the dst working, I followed everything to the letter in the instructions, running it in compatability mode, installing the drivers for USB, ports match etc.

The error I'm getting is that the DST cannot connect to the PCM and in the driver properties for the DST tuner under "ports" says "unable to open device" where is usually says "this device is working correctly.

Here's the kicker,

My buddy who sold it to me, has it working on his laptop, and the cable adapter works on his computer, lights up and transmits and receives, but it doesn't on mine, either the PC with windows 7 or the Mac with XP SP2.

The DST tuner flashes when connected to the car, but when I try to read the PCM for instance, I get the error code again, unable to communicate with PCM.

The Usb/serial adapter has a profilic chipset and I installed the drivers for it as well.

I'm lost, I think I tried everything, it makes no sense to me at all why it works on my buddys PC running the DST software and he is able to read my PCM but I can't get it working on either of my laptops.

I appreciate if anyone can help me out. I'm not a computer nerd but I can make do..

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jeff
    Vehicle
    1995 Camaro z28

Not familiar with that software but it sounds like it could be your computer isn't properly installing the device (the cable to your PCM)

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Sean Cross
    Vehicle
    1995 Camaro Z28

Are there any differences in the USB version on each of the laptops (USB 1.1, 2.0, or 3.0).
    USB 2 and 3 are supposed to be backwards compatible with 1.1 but I have run into issues before.
    Can't remember the device I had trouble with but I do know it was not tuner software or a USB to serial adapter.

Now Im not sure but I believe that is vined to one car like the ole hypertech, so if you buddy used it to tune his car, he would have to install it back into the software. One customer sent me the disc for I think was the Jet Dst, he used it once so I couldnt do anything with the tune...Check on this, or like said its something with you pc.

Lurker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MoeHorsePower View Post
    Now Im not sure but I believe that is vined to one car like the ole hypertech, so if you buddy used it to tune his car, he would have to install it back into the software. One customer sent me the disc for I think was the Jet Dst, he used it once so I couldnt do anything with the tune...Check on this, or like said its something with you pc.
    ^You shouldn't have to do this for the JET DST.

It sounds like your usb adapter is not working correctly. They can be PITA. Mine (USB adapter) has a option where you can test if the signal and drivers are working correctly. Work on those settings first.

97 WS6
    06 Corvette
    05 GMC Sierra

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Jet dst is good for 4 cars out of the box and can be installed on multiple computers. The cable and program are bound together. Make sure ur converter isn't switching the signal around, alot of them are crossover converters and not straight thru
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status

Did you look to see what Comm port was assigned to your usb/serial adapter in Windows, then chose that Comm port in DST? Did you install using compatibility mode per DSTs instructions? What year was your buddies car that sold it to you?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OutCast For This Post:

Yes, I forgot, it did say it was good for like 3-4 cars..and I can tell you this, I have NEVER found a usb to serial port work, I tried at least 3 different ones and at times would loose contact during uploads and fry the pcm, so I started buying old laptops with serial ports..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MoeHorsePower For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

What moe said ^^^
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    1996 Trans am WS6

Do you get this message in device manager under the USB Serial Port properties? If yes, then the problem is between your laptop/USB port and the USB serial converter you have.
    Once installed correctly, you should get "This device is working properly." without anything else plugged in.

I purchased 3 USB serial converters before getting one to successfully install and connect. (I use a US111 USB serial converter on an xp laptop)
    1996 Trans am WS6, Paxton SN2000, Pacesetter Longtubes, Borla Catback, 30# injectors, Meziere electric water pump etc.. Ticking time bomb since 1997!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast