Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Lurker

Status
    Name
    rob
    Vehicle
    1993 z28

Default Whos running a power steering rack as a manual ( no pump just looped)

Well as the title states this is what i just did, seems really hard to steer even though ive got a good amount of weight reduction in the front and im running skinnies at 35 psi.
    Questions:
    Would it be easier to steer if i make sure all of the fluid is out? (im thinking so)

WOULD IT BE BETTER TO NOT HAVE IT LOOPED (RELEIVING PRESSURE) ?
    also has anyone here opened up the rack and removed the piston seal or similar to make steering easier?
    Any help is appreciated, i just dont feel like spending big bucks on a manual rack
    Last edited by bustedassz28; 03-21-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: ADDED A QUESTION
    BUILD THREAD PROJECT "BAIL MONEY"93 Z28 STOCK BOTTOM END/HEADS, MSD COIL, MSD 6AL, MSD 8972 RETARD, L.E. CAM 227/235 565/579 110 LSA, COMP 1.6 RR, PCM OF NC TUNE, PACESETTER LTS, !CATS/EMISSIONS, ORY, DUMPED BULLET, EDGE 3600 STALL, 3:23 10 BOLT, LCAS, RELO BRACKETS, PHB, 125 SHOT - (ALMOST READY TO SPRAY....)

Quote Originally Posted by bustedassz28 View Post
    Well as the title states this is what i just did, seems really hard to steer even though ive got a good amount of weight reduction in the front and im running skinnies at 35 psi.
    Questions:
    Would it be easier to steer if i make sure all of the fluid is out? (im thinking so)

WOULD IT BE BETTER TO NOT HAVE IT LOOPED (RELEIVING PRESSURE) ?
    also has anyone here opened up the rack and removed the piston seal or similar to make steering easier?
    Any help is appreciated, i just dont feel like spending big bucks on a manual rack
    What did you ever find on this man?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Lurker

Status
    Name
    rob
    Vehicle
    1993 z28

Nothing really, I read some stuff about pulling seals or pistons or stuff out of the rack, looked like a pita, so I just looped it, I'm running skinnies so it's not that bad really, although a tight parking lot can suck a little. Definitely wouldn't do it with stock size tires tho. Loop it and see if you like it, u can always put it back. Maybe it's just me but I thought I noticed the motor rev a bit faster w no p.s. And since I deleted it completely it took quite a bit of weight off the front end and cleaned up the engine bat a lot. Good luck man
    BUILD THREAD PROJECT "BAIL MONEY"93 Z28 STOCK BOTTOM END/HEADS, MSD COIL, MSD 6AL, MSD 8972 RETARD, L.E. CAM 227/235 565/579 110 LSA, COMP 1.6 RR, PCM OF NC TUNE, PACESETTER LTS, !CATS/EMISSIONS, ORY, DUMPED BULLET, EDGE 3600 STALL, 3:23 10 BOLT, LCAS, RELO BRACKETS, PHB, 125 SHOT - (ALMOST READY TO SPRAY....)

I drove mine like that for years.

When it comes to hot rodding, I don't mind not having power steering. Or air conditioning for that matter lol. All in the name of going fast!!!!

94 Camaro Z28 383ci AI Heads LE Cam 4L60E Stock 10 Bolt
    Personal Best 10.72 N/A 10.13 NO2

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayz28 For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    rob
    Vehicle
    1993 z28

I also forgot to mention, I had the chance to feel what an actual manual rack felt like in my buddies 99 formula; not much difference if any from my car, and he paid like $500 for his rack.....

Good to know, my mind is starting to veer more towards making the car a race car with very limited street.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    KYLE
    Vehicle
    95 MQBM Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bustedassz28 View Post
    I also forgot to mention, I had the chance to feel what an actual manual rack felt like in my buddies 99 formula; not much difference if any from my car, and he paid like $500 for his rack.....

There is a night and day difference between my stock rack with lines looped and my flaming river.rack .

Way to go, Kyle, thanks for raining on my parade, lol!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

I love my flaming river rack! It's great!

I bought it on here years ago with a tubular k member. Best money spent!!!

94 Camaro Z28 383ci AI Heads LE Cam 4L60E Stock 10 Bolt
    Personal Best 10.72 N/A 10.13 NO2