Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

Default Kinda curious about street encounters and your experiences...

Not necessarily a kill story and I may move to a more appropriate sub forum, but Im just curious to see what you guys encounter on the streets (of Mexico that is...you catch my drift there). For some reason whenever im cruising, be it during the day, or night just about any time of day I get looks from other drivers like "hey when that street light turns green its on". Keep in mind i have a stock as all hell looking Arctic White 96 Z28, stock salad shooters and everything im just lowered, visually thats all that is different. Now these looks come from lots of fart cannon toting honda civics and S2000,s, nissan 350's g35's, other misc imports. Other times i get that from our domestic enemy Mustangs. Mustangs galore Fox Body's, SN95s, S197's, and the new coyotes as well. Occasionally ill see another Fbody and get the thumbs up typically fellow LT1 owners, LS1 cars usually dont even acknowledge that im there, whatever. For some reason i get picked on by 5th Gens, hell even the v6 cars even no idea why lol. But for some reason mopars dont wanna tango.

Here's an example. Minutes ago im getting off work, 10 hour day and im just wanting to get home. I pull out of the parking lot and hit my first street light. I hear a loud rumble coming from behind, on my passenger side a 2011 ish Challenger rolls up (purple with white side stripes HEMI decals and some big ol TT2 looking wheels). I look over at the driver in say his mid 20's and a girlfriend (i assume) riding shotgun. The guy doesnt look over but his GF leans forward and says something in audible (my windows are down and so are his but the exhaust muffles it all). Im thinking great here we go...light turns green and im expecting him to jump on it. Nothing happens he takes off like normal and so do i, i gave him the split second to see if it was go time but normal take off so im right beside him. Suddenly he gets on it half way through the intersection chirps his tires and goes. Alright so maybe he does want to go. Next light comes up im anxiously waiting for green. This time green hits and i roast em off the line by accident (stupid 245's), peddle it a bit, grab 2nd and go...this time he doesnt get on it. Also keep in mind my car isnt fast by any means just a street cruiser with suspension bolt ons, a CAI, 3.73s, a LM1 and a cutout. Im thinking how come this time he didnt wanna get down, i mean did the dumb exhaust scare him off come on its a stock LT1 with a cutout to that side cats and the LM1. I could understand if i was choppin away with a dumped X pipe with bullets sitting on some street radials why he would be scared off. The next light came up, now i even took off normal stayed side by side and tapped the throttle a couple times trying to instigate a bit and he didnt want any part of it, even rolled up his window...thats the part i didnt get no cops around no street cameras nothing but 4 open lanes on some long straights but still nothing. This type of stuff happens with Chargers too, the only guys that get down are those turbo srt4 neons or whatever haha. MOpar big boys dont get involved for some reason around here, at least from what i have seen.

Im curios to see what you guys experience out in Mexico
    Arctic White 1996 Z28. Stock internal LT1, CAI, LM1, MGW Shifter, 3.73's, some suspension junk, and shiny salad shooters (retired). Forgestar F14's 18x10 on all 4. Fun stuff coming soon. Also, Cali smog regulations suck...period. **Insert witty quote here** LT1FTW that is all. Have a nice day.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SJx408 View Post
    turbo srt4 neons
    I haven't personally seen one of those on the street in over a year. lol
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara54 View Post
    I haven't personally seen one of those on the street in over a year. lol
    Dude, those things. LOL. There was a crew of them up by me. 10+ cars deep, back when I had the firechicken. They all had the SAME exact mods, we called em the skittles crew. All but one fell to the formy, the one that didn't was the only one that had some serious shit done to it, but I only lost by half a car.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

No one wants to mess around with my car

I do try and mess around with cars in my truck
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Brian DeLuca
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    No one wants to mess around with my car

I do try and mess around with cars in my truck
    Same issue. Guess I shouldn't say it's an issue but on the right stretch of road with some room, it would be fun. Other times I get the jokers who want to see if I would like to chase them weaving in and out of lanes. No thanks.

The G8 is a little bit of a sleeper and such a pussy cat to get off the line. It isn't the fastest thing out there but will surprise a few folks.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt - 10.2@140 / 777rwhp - Forever Dyno Queen
    17 Corvette Z06 - 11.05 @ 125
    17 GMC Sierra Denali Dmax

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

They could be nasty but seldom were...Back to the main topic.

Rinehart99Z, Myself, and a friend w/ a 350Z went out last summer and managed to attract some attention from a Coyote. We agreed on a gentleman's contest of vehicular sprinting and made the long trip to Mexico. We managed for him to stay behind our group the whole way until we pulled off and went to line him and rinehart up. The only thing we could guess was he saw the S60, DR's and suspension under his car cause he pulled up saying his GF needed to get home for curfew. We just kinda looked at each other and lost it.

Now there are some sick cars around here. We have a few 700+ 5th gens and cobras around. BigKleib34 on Youtube is from Newark/Wilmington area.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

InActive Member

Status

Used to happen way more often around here 10-15 years ago. Any given weekend night in good weather a dozens of gearheads would gather in several parking lots around here until the wee hours of the morning, then go settle 'differences of opinion' on deserted stretches of highway. Used to see lots of Mustangs, F-bodies, Corvettes, the occasional Viper, various imports, and even some older muscle cruising around the parkways and boulevards here on nice nights. That whole scene seemed to peak around 2002-2003 and essentially died out after 2005 or so. I was in college while this was all going on and participated frequently whenever I wasn't studying or partying.
    Back then someone was competitive on the street around here if they were in the high-to-mid 12s, and if you were running mid 11s or quicker you were pretty fast.

Not sure what caused the street scene round here to die out. I think it's a combination of factors including increased LEO presence and stiffer penalties, people getting older, social media taking the place of actual in-person interaction, and cars getting a lot faster and more impractical to really mess around much on the street. Among the handful of folks I know of who still mess around on the street from time to time, the gatherings are a lot smaller and usually happen somewhere out of the public eye, and the cars are pretty much all 500rwhp or more, often a LOT more. There are still plenty of informal car shows and cruise-ins put on by local diners and such, but those aren't the same as the stuff that used to happen regularly after midnight.

I get harassed on the rare impromptu occasion by newer Chargers, Camaros, etc. when cruising around in my ride, but they often shy away when they hear my ride camming away through the wide-open Borla at an intersection. What they don't really know is that I'm sort of easy prey on the street at lower speeds because I can't hook at anything under about 60mph on street tires.

As for the late-night stuff, even if the scene were still as active as it once was I would not be likely to participate. I'm older now and have too much to lose to take the risks I once did on a regular basis.
    Last edited by HellTeeOne; 02-15-2015 at 03:55 PM.
    Cayenne Red Metallic 1997 Z28 M6
    Bolt-ons, AI H/C/I, Hooker LTs, chrome ZR1s, etc.
    406/385

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

I feel the same, as I have a sslowboat now too. I would be the camera car for my buddies cobra vs the world runs in Mexico highways. Several modded gtrs, supras, etc round here. Only thing I ever beat was a srt8 jeep (1st gen) one time. The rest of the time i was just chase car with that crew. Although, I did take the races of the guys they would annihilate (Hondas, gt stangs, etc) when they would try to save their name for the night. Had kids and stopped that shit now
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

That awesome to hear the responses. Seems like for many people the racing scene disappeared around 2003-2005. Ours is just restarting so you start to see more and more of those informal meets that turn into weekly events at local strip malls and eateries like In-N-Out a popular burger joint out here on the west coast and in the bay area in particular. Like today we have a cruise of about 50+ cars out to a Sonics about 30 mi away. Every thursday and Sunday night is race night set up by Bay Area Racing, they run a website and youtube page that chronicles the race nights and car culture here in the Bay. There is a movie set to release in april on youtube of the biggest names here in racing so thats kind of cool. You guys should check that out. But anyways out here the GM powered cars seem to be the fastest cars on the streets. Fastest Manual car is a 72ish Datsun with an LQ swap and a big turbo haha. C6 Z's roam around looking for coyotes and shelby's to play with. The honda and euro kids are in the "stance" phase so they dont race much. Lots of LS swapped foxbodies are out here tearing things up as well. LTx game is kind of weak with the exception of a couple 383 stroked and boosted Camaros coming soon, one is blown the other will have a nice little front mount set up. I know we have some LTxTech members in Cali, either up north or down south. The Bay area needs some more LTx action though. I stay messing around on the streets of mexico though backwoods runs and some street light to light action. I make sure to keep within my limits new edge GTs and older sn95's with the occasional 350z. Looking at getting a solid HCI set up with the rest of my suspension before i play with the faster cars. Just a college kid having fun i guess.
    Arctic White 1996 Z28. Stock internal LT1, CAI, LM1, MGW Shifter, 3.73's, some suspension junk, and shiny salad shooters (retired). Forgestar F14's 18x10 on all 4. Fun stuff coming soon. Also, Cali smog regulations suck...period. **Insert witty quote here** LT1FTW that is all. Have a nice day.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Rob Milton
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by TubbyFormy View Post
    Dude, those things. LOL. There was a crew of them up by me. 10+ cars deep, back when I had the firechicken. They all had the SAME exact mods, we called em the skittles crew. All but one fell to the formy, the one that didn't was the only one that had some serious shit done to it, but I only lost by half a car.
    I actually bought a stage 2 kitted version a year after they came out. Someone had ordered it and changed their minds, I was looking for a non boring little front drive daily driver. Let me tell you, when they were new the bang for the buck was really high. The only issue is every river on the planet thought you wanted to race. Sorry, I got better cars for that!

I honestly don't get messed with in the Firebird much, but the thing sounds like it'll tear your head off just sitting there. You know what gets the attention? My bloody Jetta! I don't get it at all!

Seriously, the car is totally stock. Not even tinted windows! It's not even a GLI, it's the diesel!

I mean, honestly, who picks on a TDi over a Firebird?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MrAngry For This Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast