Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Fernando
    Vehicle
    1995 trans am

Default Brazilian 95 Trans Am LT4 kit +LS7 lifters = Valve train Noise

Hi guys,

I live in Brazil, and I've been having some issues lately with my 1995 Trans Am (30k miles)! Issues started after the recent upgrades. I had to pull the heads to change the valve seals, and then I decided to do a few more changes.

FEW_MORE_CHANGES
    - LT4 complete KIT (CAM, Springs, retainers, etc), HEADS bigger valves 2.00x1.570 and LS7 new lifters (3/8 rockers). Now using scorpio 1.7 rocekrs non-sel-align (i tried to change the 1.6 lt4 since i heard that it could be the issue. it was not)

Issue: Valve train noise (clicking/ticking).

OIL and OIL PRESSURE : 5w30 IDLE COLD 40 psi / IDLE HOT 20psi RUNNING COLD 40-50 psi / RUNNINT HOT 20-30 psi

Valve Procedure 1 - Valve adjustment on, off, different methods, and all the same results(tried 1/4,2/4,3/4,1 and 1 1/2 turns) .I've also measured the push rods, and it seems OK, right in the middle(using the magic marker).
    *Zero lash can mean a lot of things i guess. Some people say is is not even a term to be used for hydralic adjustments. The way i did was to tight by hand until there was no vertical movement at teh push rod and then gave the pre-load turn (tried 3/4, 1, and 1 1/2 all noise).

Valve Procedure 2 -
    Then I decided to do one more time, with the engine on, but using a stethoscope to tight it until noise was gone . Then I was able to make it very quite (perfect, STOCK), but then when trying to start the engine, since the valves were too open, losing compression, the engine would not start anymore.

My Conclusion : Noise seems to be from the valves hitting the seats from what it seems. To be able to get rid of the clicking sound I have to tight it to the point it is too open, and then I have compression issues. Then the big questions below. Is it bad valve job, is it bad lifters or it is something else?

Video:

Questions:
    1- Is there a chance of being a bad work done by the machine shop to the seats, angle etc?
    2- Is there a chance of being the lifters some how?
    3- Any other ideas?

Any help is appreciated. Ν have a friend with a shop that only handles American cars, but he has given up to fix it as for now. Don't know what might be the issue.
    Besides the noise car is good, strong and responsive. It does not look like it has any issues.

IMG-20150210-00072.jpgheads_done.jpgwork_being_done.jpg
    thanks so much
    Last edited by Fcondebr; 02-12-2015 at 01:34 PM.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    greg
    Vehicle
    1995 z28

Did you use the springs in the kit?

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Fernando
    Vehicle
    1995 trans am

I did use everything in the KIT. The only thing I installed, and then changed were the rockers (changed to scorpions sincee I had read people saying the ones in the kit were not good and noise).

KIT:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Pe...2e0742&vxp=mtr

BIGGER VALVES installed in the heads:
    http://www.alexsparts.com/stainless-...tec-fast-burn/

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jonathan Englund
    Vehicle
    1994 z28/1994 formula

well the ls7 lifters could be chattering a bit. The video sounds like typical roller rockers to me though, a nice sowing machine noise or light ticking.
    94' Z28 A4 black: turbo build in progress
    94' Formula A4 red: 355, 11.5:1cr, LE 231/239 cam, comp promags, lpp's, Yank stall, 3:42's, Solomon tune
    07' Impala A4: 180000 miles of stockness

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

That doesn't sound bad at all. Some light ticking is normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.